UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> When should you mic the drums?

11/1/08 10:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Noose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As always, no one in my band seems to be able to come to an agreement about whether or not we should mic the drums when we play small clubs/bars. We have a powered mixer with 350 watts on each channell (700 total) and another 700 watt PA with two channells. We have two Peavy mains, two stage monitors, and a seperate smaller monitor for the drummer. We are planning on putting vocals only through the mixer. We have access to a couple of sub-woofers if we want to bring them, but nobody seems to want to hall them. I am of the opinion that we should mic the drums and run them through a second power amp to push the subwoofers, and run the highs through the mains. We have another 16 channell mixer we could use for this. Singer is against the idea because he is worried we will drown out the vocals. I think we could have plenty of vocal volume since we are only running vocals through the 700 watt powered mixer, using our amp volume for guitar and bass, and micing the drums on a completely seperate poer amp. Everyone else seems to think we should just not mic the drums at all and only run vocals through the mains. the venue is small, so we dont need to be too loud, I just want us to sound full. Does anyone who gigs regularly have any advice? Should we not mic the drums?
11/1/08 12:01 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can go either way in a small venue, just remember drums are loud. A lot of smaller clubs will mike the kick and snare.
A word of advice, if you are going to mike the drums you should really have a soundman on hand.
11/1/08 11:08 PM
JayRoc
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mic the kik..
11/1/08 11:38 PM
Ze Dano
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DasBeaver - You can go either way in a small venue, just remember drums are loud. A lot of smaller clubs will mike the kick and snare.
A word of advice, if you are going to mike the drums you should really have a soundman on hand.

^^^correctamundo^^^
11/8/08 5:46 AM
BarkLikeADog

"Singer is against the idea because he is worried we will drown out the vocals. "

hardest thing for garage bands to learn IMO. You have to learn not to play over each other. If the vocals are in the mix & drowned out, it's usually not because the mix isn't right; it's because someone's playing over those frequencies.

No bullshit, pull out a Phil Collins record & listen carefully to the mix. Every instrument has its spot in the frequency spectrum, so you can hear exactly what's going on.

Cheap & dirty way to do this is to notch out the vocal range from all the instruments, but it will be obvious come solo time what you did & will kinda suck in comparison to simply not playing over each other.

Small venues I mic all drums as usual, & leave 'em out of the mix until I find I need 'em through the night. Generally I'll get enough out of the drummer's monitors for everything except overheads in that scenario.
11/8/08 8:23 PM
The Noose

First off, I wouldnt go as far as to say we are a "garage band" we have been playng clubs locally for about five years. We just had a sound man at all the venues we played and all we had to do was bring our amps. Anyway, You would mic drums with only 700 watts?
11/8/08 8:43 PM
BarkLikeADog

I'm not using the term garage band as an insult, just as a delineation between signed, managed entity.

Yes, I always mic everything. Doesn't mean I'll use it. Just to have it. I personally would not tour with 700 watts. My SOH monitor rigs start at 5KW.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.