UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Longest Sniper Kill

11/2/08 11:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shogun of Harlem
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just read this about ROb Furlong. 1.509 miles away. Damn!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong
11/2/08 11:06 PM
OldSchoolMike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE
11/2/08 11:12 PM
Shogun of Harlem
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck off dipshit. Its the OG, anything goes. Fuckface!
11/2/08 11:12 PM
DWray
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You misspelled UG.
11/2/08 11:14 PM
Shogun of Harlem

My bad, thought this was the OG. Either way, fuck off Oldschoolmike.
11/2/08 11:15 PM
foxfirejesse

OSM, youre on top of the wrong forum thread tonight, arent ya?! lol
11/2/08 11:18 PM
effinggoof
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for the CF.
11/2/08 11:26 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why would furlong have been given an american military commendation?

was he with an american unit? how does that work?
11/3/08 12:13 AM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go Chefs.
11/3/08 7:36 PM
Shogun of Harlem

"are you bored with folding blankets and counting spoons?"

Nope, I'll let your wife fold them after I clean my jism and spoon with your Mom.
11/3/08 7:41 PM
microbiologynerd
932 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rob Furlong, a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat. Established in 2002, it exceeds Carlos Hathcock's 1967 record of 2,286 m (7,500 ft) by 144 m (472 ft).[1]

Born in Fogo Island, Newfoundland, Furlong taught himself to fire a sniper rifle ambidextrously.

In 2002, he participated in Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley as a member of the 3rd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). His sniper team included MCpl. Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl. Tim McMeekin, MCpl. Arron Perry, Cpl. Dennis Eason. A three-man al-Qaeda weapons team was moving into a mountainside position when Furlong took aim with his Long Range Sniper Weapon (LRSW), a .50-caliber McMillan Brothers Tac-50 rifle. He began firing at a fighter carrying an RPK machine gun. His first shot missed entirely, and his second shot hit the knapsack on the militant's back. The third struck the target's torso, killing him. The distance was measured as 2,430 metres (2,657 yd / 1.509 miles).

This feat is not typical for the effective range with a high first-hit probability of the employed rifle regarding non-static targets (see maximum effective range). The ambient air density in the Shah-i-Kot Valley where Corporal Furlong operated is significantly lower than at sea level due to its 2,743 meters (9,000 ft) mean elevation. This increases the maximum effective range of a high-powered sniper rifle and cartridges loaded with Hornady A-MAX [2] very-low-drag bullets like Corporal Furlong used by about 600 meters (1968 ft).[3][4][5]

Furlong received a Mention in Dispatch for "impressive professionalism and dedication to duty through his valiant conduct while under direct and indirect fire and his actions helped ensure the success of the mission" and a US Armed Forces Bronze Star.

Days after Furlong's 2,430 m shot, a member of his unit became the subject of a military police criminal investigation into inappropriate conduct of Canadian snipers during their deployment in Afghanistan. The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (NIS), the major crimes unit of the Canadian Forces Military Police, also got involved in the investigation. As the months wore on, there emerged so many conflicting accusations and supposed explanations that no charges were ever laid. During the investigation, Furlong and his follow snipers were questioned. The experience made Furlong and a number of soldiers decide to leave the Canadian military. After his resignation from the military, Rob Furlong became a police officer.[6]

11/3/08 7:44 PM
Steamfitter

Furlong was driven out of the Canadian forces.
11/3/08 8:13 PM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will make a quick comment on this subject, even though I am swearing off gun threads.

Last year my dad (who is a major player in the firearms arena) held a friendly contest to see if anyone could make any shots like this.

On his property he put 4 targets - man sized shoulder and head steel silhouettes at various ranges - something like 460ish - 680ish - 980ish and 1380ish. We used multiple laser range finders to check everything. They are painted a light brown color only, and have no camo at all. They are also not using any kind of cover or concealment that a normal person would use.

For the contest, you get to sit on his front porch and scan across a mntn canyon and the goal is to find, and hit each target. This is a non tactical event. You have bino's. laser range finder, chairs, supported firing position, a grill, etc.

So far we have had probably 17-18 guys play. 3 USMC trained snipers, two SEALS, a couple FBI HRT, a secret service, a former Delta operator, a couple SWAT types, a professional hunter from Thorney Bush game perserve in South Africa and others. The best shooter was Steve Hendricks, a Gunsite instructor, grandmaster three gun shooter, last ranked 11th in the world.

So far only Earnest, the professional hunter was able to spot the three closest targets, No one has been able to find the target at 1380 without having it pointed out. Additionally no one has hit the target at 1380 yet either, and honestly most people miss the 980 a couple times.

Mathematically most precision rifles are shooting at 1 MOA. Thats 1" groups at 100 yards under PERFECT conditions. So at 1380 yards that 13.8 inch groups in a PERFECT condition. With even the slightest wind and regular human error, in addition to normal ballistic issues it all but but mathematically impossible to make the shots people are claiming.

We have this friendly contest going for some time, and so far no one has been able to show the error of our presumption and actually make these shots.

These shots are not duplicatable, and a lot of guys who are way smarter than me about ballistics, and way better shooters than I am think this all bullshit.
11/3/08 8:28 PM
Steamfitter

Jack_Burton, Furlongs achievement is a matter of history. It happened, there were dozens of witnesses present.
11/3/08 8:42 PM
Supimpa
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remeber reading several articles when this came out in the news. In several interviews, Furlong claims it would be near impossible for him to make those shots again and that he had no real expectation of hitting the targets to begin with. He didn´t quite call it as fluke, but didn´t think such a big deal should be made of it because after all they were lucky shots.
11/3/08 8:46 PM
Richard Roberts

Im sure an American could hit that target at that range, if it were a 'friendly' from another nation.
11/3/08 8:48 PM
von niten
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack_Burton - I will make a quick comment on this subject, even though I am swearing off gun threads.

Last year my dad (who is a major player in the firearms arena) held a friendly contest to see if anyone could make any shots like this.

On his property he put 4 targets - man sized shoulder and head steel silhouettes at various ranges - something like 460ish - 680ish - 980ish and 1380ish. We used multiple laser range finders to check everything. They are painted a light brown color only, and have no camo at all. They are also not using any kind of cover or concealment that a normal person would use.

For the contest, you get to sit on his front porch and scan across a mntn canyon and the goal is to find, and hit each target. This is a non tactical event. You have bino's. laser range finder, chairs, supported firing position, a grill, etc.

So far we have had probably 17-18 guys play. 3 USMC trained snipers, two SEALS, a couple FBI HRT, a secret service, a former Delta operator, a couple SWAT types, a professional hunter from Thorney Bush game perserve in South Africa and others. The best shooter was Steve Hendricks, a Gunsite instructor, grandmaster three gun shooter, last ranked 11th in the world.

So far only Earnest, the professional hunter was able to spot the three closest targets, No one has been able to find the target at 1380 without having it pointed out. Additionally no one has hit the target at 1380 yet either, and honestly most people miss the 980 a couple times.

Mathematically most precision rifles are shooting at 1 MOA. Thats 1" groups at 100 yards under PERFECT conditions. So at 1380 yards that 13.8 inch groups in a PERFECT condition. With even the slightest wind and regular human error, in addition to normal ballistic issues it all but but mathematically impossible to make the shots people are claiming.

We have this friendly contest going for some time, and so far no one has been able to show the error of our presumption and actually make these shots.

These shots are not duplicatable, and a lot of guys who are way smarter than me about ballistics, and way better shooters than I am think this all bullshit.

Damn, this would be cool to try.  Meters or yards?

We sight in our coyote guns at roughly 300 yards.  Wierd how wind, heat, breathing, blood pumping turn you into a loser.
11/3/08 8:54 PM
Gib
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack, did you guys try to duplicate hathcocks shots? Why choose this one to try and debunk?
11/3/08 8:58 PM
unclephilly
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/08 8:59 PM
BTW, at that range...well....Below is what the target looked like...even through the scope.

-> . <-

Hit that bitches.
11/3/08 9:01 PM
sacredhate
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

put this back on the UG as a fight strategy for Couture vs Lesnar please.
11/3/08 9:23 PM
effinggoof
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the risk of arguing with Jack Burton on a gun issue, I completely believe that Furlong made the shot.

I believe that he was a supremely well trained, naturally gifted marksman who happened to get off the perfect shot.

Obviously there was a lot of luck involved, but it's the kind of luck that only comes to those who are exceptionally well trained.
11/3/08 9:25 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canadians can see farther and shoot better than Americans. It simple snipesmanship.
11/3/08 9:37 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at "snipesmanship".

again, why would furlong have been given an american commendation? just curious.
11/3/08 9:40 PM
G-Hands
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow.  hell of a shot.  1.5 miles... damn.
11/3/08 9:48 PM
effinggoof

balloon knotter - lol at "snipesmanship".

again, why would furlong have been given an american commendation? just curious.

The Canadian Army lent a team of five snipers to the 101st Airborne for a while, so at the time the shot was made, Furlong was attatched to the US military, who were obviously very grateful.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.