UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Longest Sniper Kill

11/3/08 9:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

effinggoof - 
balloon knotter - lol at "snipesmanship".

again, why would furlong have been given an american commendation? just curious.

The Canadian Army lent a team of five snipers to the 101st Airborne for a while, so at the time the shot was made, Furlong was attatched to the US military, who were obviously very grateful.

i figured it was something like that.

i read a little about him but didn't see an explanation.
11/3/08 9:54 PM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.5 miles.....on loan to the 101'st..... I can see it now, "where we going to put these canadians????, Sir, were putting them as far back as we can, they will be over a mile behind the action, they won't cause any problems."
11/3/08 9:55 PM
MuaySteve
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^lol
11/3/08 10:17 PM
microbiologynerd
1211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy shit.; just realized robert furlong ws my sophmore english teacher in high school. good teacher, better sniper imo
11/3/08 10:23 PM
Squatdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rememeber that this took place at very high altitude, which gives much greater distance to pjojectiles.

Hell, in rugby games on the high velt in South Africa, the ball travels and estimated 30% further than under normal conditions.
11/3/08 10:26 PM
gregbrady
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 1.5 miles would you even realize you were being shot at? Even with a .50 cal.
11/3/08 10:33 PM
lelo

wow
11/3/08 10:44 PM
Steamfitter

Furlong and the other Canuck snipers ran out of their own ammunition during the engagement and had to use American 50 cal rounds. Some of those snipers had over a hundred kills before they left Afghanistan.
11/3/08 11:25 PM
i hate you

if i remember right hathcock's gun of choise was a .30-06. that round tends to drop very fast so to get it out to those distances was an amazing feat especially with his equipment. the .408 cheytac is designed for those distances. its pretty amazing to think that he was shooting something that he basically could not see but was still able to make all the adjustments needed to make that shot.
11/3/08 11:30 PM
Ron Mexico

Hathcock's longest shot wasn't with a 30-06. He did it with a scope mounted on a 50 cal machine gun I think. I'm also pretty sure it was never confirmed as a kill.
11/3/08 11:34 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/08 11:35 PM
gregbrady - At 1.5 miles would you even realize you were being shot at? Even with a .50 cal.

Nope....and the guys standing next to you wouldn't even hear the shot until a second or two after a hole is blown through you...bullet flies faster then the speed of sound

11/3/08 11:37 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.5 miles is pretty nuts....i was shooting a .30-06 at 200yards in the seated and prone positions last weekend feeling pretty good about myself for the groups i was getting.  :(
11/4/08 1:33 AM
YourMomsBox

well, a guy on the OG debunked it, so it must be bullshit
11/4/08 3:26 AM
Moke
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"well, a guy on the OG debunked it, so it must be bullshit"

Actually he has a history here, and what they did is pretty scientific. A few other things to consider, is that it's a possibility that the range finding equipment was giving false readings, or that in fact, the altitude made the difference.
11/4/08 3:40 AM
El_Varaco
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if i ever duplicate that feat

i'd be dead a few seconds later, i'd be yelling and whopping it up for sure if I made that shot
11/4/08 3:56 AM
sepe

I've jizzed farther than that. Canadians are douche bags.
11/4/08 9:28 AM
i hate you

yes hathcocks longest shot was with a .50 cal but his main sniper weapon was a .30-06 so if u look at his ability it was amazing because of the way that round travels down range.
11/4/08 9:46 AM
Hemlock
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Christ so a one mile snipe is totally within the norm?
11/4/08 9:55 AM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My dad and GnSgt Hathcock were friends and served in Vietnam together. I had dinner with him a couple times as a kid.

I dont care how many witnesses saw the shot, or anything of the sort. It simply cannot be duplicated. If you break out the mathematics of the ballistics it is even more far fetched.

The Whittington center is only about 45 minutes away from my dads land, and we have on the second day gone over and shot the 1,000 range. The steel on the 1,000 range at the whittington center is HUGE. A giant buffalo and such, and its mostly a flat range (which never happens in real life.) The accuracy rate goes up there.

However in real world conditions you cant even find your target at 1380 yards. The target is basically right out in the open, not using any cover. If you ad cover / conceal ability its hard to find even when you know exactly where it is. Windage, shooter error, gun and ammo accuracy, barometric pressure, etc all have parts to play.

The game has been a little bit of a shock for us, it has turned out to be way harder than we thought. As soon as a shooter is alone on the porch, they ding a closer target and everyone hears the "ping" on the steel and comes running out - only to see them laughing and saying they went back to a hittable target to make sure the gun still worked, lol.

Additionally it has been tried with a couple rifles that are supposed to shoot at better than 1MOA (very fucking expensive guns, lol), as well as people trying numerous hand loaded rounds. At one point they even stopped shooting and went to the reloading bench to churn out 5 rounds that they thought we would be more suited to the shots.

It is still an on going game, an experiment if you will. But so far the stories coming out about shots like this remain in the "luck" or "it did not really happen like that" realm.

Until it can be proven under controlled conditions, I dont believe it happened.
11/4/08 10:01 AM
Jack_Burton

Oh I will add we have not tested a .50 cal for the game. I don't see how the .50 would make a huge difference when in most cases you cant even see your target. Plus some of the shots being claimed far out distance our max target.

My dad has had several articles published on this in the mainstream gun magazines.

You get 1 of 2 things happen. 1.) I agree, no fucking way or 2.) But this is a verified shot so it must have happened that way, and I refuse to believe it any other way.

I will remain a skeptic until something similar is done in a controlled environment (where it should be 1,000 times easier than a field / real life one).

However, just to hear everyone out, if you think these shots really happened, please explain why they cant be duplicated in a controlled environment?

I dont want to get into a huge ballistics discussion though.
11/4/08 10:03 AM
Jack_Burton

Shit, I have some pictures of the "course"

I dont have photo bucket account or anything can I mail them to a blue namer to post?
11/4/08 10:21 AM
paw
1563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack_Burton - I will make a quick comment on this subject, even though I am swearing off gun threads.

Last year my dad (who is a major player in the firearms arena) held a friendly contest to see if anyone could make any shots like this.

On his property he put 4 targets - man sized shoulder and head steel silhouettes at various ranges - something like 460ish - 680ish - 980ish and 1380ish. We used multiple laser range finders to check everything. They are painted a light brown color only, and have no camo at all. They are also not using any kind of cover or concealment that a normal person would use.

For the contest, you get to sit on his front porch and scan across a mntn canyon and the goal is to find, and hit each target. This is a non tactical event. You have bino's. laser range finder, chairs, supported firing position, a grill, etc.

So far we have had probably 17-18 guys play. 3 USMC trained snipers, two SEALS, a couple FBI HRT, a secret service, a former Delta operator, a couple SWAT types, a professional hunter from Thorney Bush game perserve in South Africa and others. The best shooter was Steve Hendricks, a Gunsite instructor, grandmaster three gun shooter, last ranked 11th in the world.

So far only Earnest, the professional hunter was able to spot the three closest targets, No one has been able to find the target at 1380 without having it pointed out. Additionally no one has hit the target at 1380 yet either, and honestly most people miss the 980 a couple times.

Mathematically most precision rifles are shooting at 1 MOA. Thats 1" groups at 100 yards under PERFECT conditions. So at 1380 yards that 13.8 inch groups in a PERFECT condition. With even the slightest wind and regular human error, in addition to normal ballistic issues it all but but mathematically impossible to make the shots people are claiming.

We have this friendly contest going for some time, and so far no one has been able to show the error of our presumption and actually make these shots.

These shots are not duplicatable, and a lot of guys who are way smarter than me about ballistics, and way better shooters than I am think this all bullshit.

day-um.

*makes mental note to train with Jack*
11/4/08 10:23 AM
Man in Block
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Jack

Don't stop posting on gun threads, some of us do get a lot of info from you. Even if we are lurkers...
11/4/08 10:37 AM
tristanandrews04

EliteFightCompany, QandDon
TTT
11/4/08 10:38 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GreenLight - "Canadians can see farther and shoot better than Americans. It simple snipesmanship."-They practice stalking moose to have sex with and spotting them.

yes, we do.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.