UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Longest Sniper Kill

11/4/08 10:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

again, this is snipesmanship 101 fellas. altitude and such. better sight and such. superior canadian snipesmanship.
11/4/08 10:40 AM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jack

werent you guys doing that just for fun, and not trying to disprove anything -

i remember when you first told me about it -

how'd you do against your dad?

i remember you saying you'd beat him in percussion rifle
11/4/08 10:42 AM
Jerkie
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

NEWFIES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

dont fuck with us or the baby seal dies
11/4/08 11:01 AM
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting points as usual jack_burton,

"they ding a closer target and everyone hears the "ping" on the steel and comes running out"

how could you have heard the shot ping the target being uprange?

what calibres are you using? .308 ?
11/4/08 11:10 AM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The goal was always to:

A.) make it fun
b.) make it fun
c.) try to get some real data from the experiment
d.) make it fun
f.) disprove some of the bullshit

I actually out shoot most everyone in the game, but I have had the luxury of shooting the course a bunch of times. I can out shoot my dad at what I call true precession rifle shooting.

However, I get smoked in the more hunting style shots. I.E. shorter range, faster target acquisition and engagement, from semi to non supported positions (kneeling, off hand, etc.)

Earnest from Thorney Bush is a holy fucking terror on shots of this style, but he should be, his life depends on it.
11/4/08 11:20 AM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have used all kind of rounds and guns, but most usually its .308 or 5.56. We have even used a couple Kriegof double rifles in big game / africa rounds -.470, etc.

Even at 900 plus yards when you hit the steel you can hear it. Whats funny is how long it takes for the "ping" to come back across the canyon on the long targets. In fact you mostly rely on sound to tell if you hit it. There has been a couple times where someone (me) was 100% sure they got the 1380 hit because they heard it. So you have go cold on the range and foot your ass all the way to target, which takes about 30 minutes in rough terrain. I have called wolf too many times and now they make me go by myself to see if we get a hit.

That turns into a shitty job of having to re-paint all the steel as you head out, and it can take an hour +. I actually try to run it when the weather is OK - its our own built in Crossfit workout. I wanted to start timing people, so we can we can have a "run and paint" record, but since most of the guys who come are on leave or vacation or what not, they dont really want a brutal trail run workout. If you run, as a couple of us have, you aint shooting when you get back, lol.

Regardless of the "real" implications of the game, it is usually a fun day of shooting with some great guys. The shit talking does not usually start until the range goes cold, the grill fires up, and the beer comes out.
11/4/08 11:39 AM
Man in Block
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aren't those Kreghoff rifles $10K+?
11/4/08 11:47 AM
Jack_Burton

you can spend a couple hundred thousand on them on them if you have the means.

Earnest comes to the US for the Safari convention. He will pick up clients guns while he is here, that way the client can have stop overs on the way to South Africa in countries that dont allow guns. People like to stop along the way to break up the brutal flights.

These people are often very very wealthy. Some of the guns are just fucking unreal.

Stocks from like grade IX 400 year old pieces of wood and stuff.

They are as much a work of art as they are a tool.
11/4/08 12:02 PM
dahosse
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

really interesting stuff
11/4/08 12:11 PM
CAMEL KILLER
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack_Burton - I will make a quick comment on this subject, even though I am swearing off gun threads.

Last year my dad (who is a major player in the firearms arena) held a friendly contest to see if anyone could make any shots like this.

On his property he put 4 targets - man sized shoulder and head steel silhouettes at various ranges - something like 460ish - 680ish - 980ish and 1380ish. We used multiple laser range finders to check everything. They are painted a light brown color only, and have no camo at all. They are also not using any kind of cover or concealment that a normal person would use.

For the contest, you get to sit on his front porch and scan across a mntn canyon and the goal is to find, and hit each target. This is a non tactical event. You have bino's. laser range finder, chairs, supported firing position, a grill, etc.

So far we have had probably 17-18 guys play. 3 USMC trained snipers, two SEALS, a couple FBI HRT, a secret service, a former Delta operator, a couple SWAT types, a professional hunter from Thorney Bush game perserve in South Africa and others. The best shooter was Steve Hendricks, a Gunsite instructor, grandmaster three gun shooter, last ranked 11th in the world.

So far only Earnest, the professional hunter was able to spot the three closest targets, No one has been able to find the target at 1380 without having it pointed out. Additionally no one has hit the target at 1380 yet either, and honestly most people miss the 980 a couple times.

Mathematically most precision rifles are shooting at 1 MOA. Thats 1" groups at 100 yards under PERFECT conditions. So at 1380 yards that 13.8 inch groups in a PERFECT condition. With even the slightest wind and regular human error, in addition to normal ballistic issues it all but but mathematically impossible to make the shots people are claiming.

We have this friendly contest going for some time, and so far no one has been able to show the error of our presumption and actually make these shots.

These shots are not duplicatable, and a lot of guys who are way smarter than me about ballistics, and way better shooters than I am think this all bullshit.
I would love to try my hand at this.

11/4/08 12:26 PM
TheRenegadeSperm
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sounds fun as fuck
11/4/08 12:47 PM
27CrazyFeet

i love gun threads here you get true experts posting some facts and stories which is really awesome.. then you get the rest of the og posting 'facts' which is also awesome to read..

thanks
11/4/08 1:03 PM
Jack_Burton

well I have always shy'ed away of posting too much personal information on the OG, on the account of me having to deal with some fucking asshole who wants to screw with my family or some other crazy internet meets real life issue.

Since enough people actually know who I am, it seems like it aint that hard to find out any way.

So here are some pictures from shooting at the property used for the game. We were actually shooting handguns to brush my wife up for her concealed carry permit the day these were taken. Well actually I was supposed to take my BJJ coach (Josh Ford) to shoot and get a free private training session, but something game up and it all fell through.

I'll post the links to a photo bucket account, maybe a blue namer can help out.
11/4/08 1:09 PM
Jack_Burton

well lets check and see if the photobucket account works

http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/Jack_Burton_photos/
11/4/08 1:21 PM
Hemlock
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/08 1:25 PM
I have to look up how to spam pics when I have more time, I tried
11/4/08 1:39 PM
e. kaye

If my memory is correct,  on the show Superweapons they had one show on advanced sniper rifles and they were shooting at 2000 yards or something close.
11/4/08 1:45 PM
sreiter

Edited: 11/04/08 1:49 PM
11/4/08 2:01 PM
sreiter

11/4/08 2:03 PM
sreiter

Edited: 11/04/08 2:07 PM
tight fucking groups

mel's shots ? - (as if i dont know they were your dads lol )

get to the rest in a little if someone else doesnt

btw -

anyone ever talk about nighthawks?

btw2 - i gotta get out there -

you know, Mikey retired and bought a place somewhere 'round there too IIRC -
11/4/08 2:17 PM
e. kaye

sreiter-You post above the pics is blank.  What are they of?
11/4/08 2:19 PM
sreiter

<

11/4/08 3:20 PM
Man in Block
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great pictures!

I miss living out in the sticks, although with the cost of ammo lately, I would be broke.
11/4/08 4:38 PM
Triangles
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Hayha

There was an American with a similar record that no one ever hears about; name was Carlos Babcock or something close to that. They sent this guy on such dangerous missions they didn't plan escapes or extractions because they thought it was a suicide mission. He escaped every single one though.
11/4/08 5:02 PM
Jack_Burton

Ya I hard about that Carlos Babcock guy I think. He was a navy guy who used to put a purple feather in his baseball hat or something right?

;-)
11/4/08 5:05 PM
Lurken

will make a quick comment on this subject, even though I am swearing off gun threads.

Last year my dad (who is a major player in the firearms arena) held a friendly contest to see if anyone could make any shots like this.

On his property he put 4 targets - man sized shoulder and head steel silhouettes at various ranges - something like 460ish - 680ish - 980ish and 1380ish. We used multiple laser range finders to check everything. They are painted a light brown color only, and have no camo at all. They are also not using any kind of cover or concealment that a normal person would use.

For the contest, you get to sit on his front porch and scan across a mntn canyon and the goal is to find, and hit each target. This is a non tactical event. You have bino's. laser range finder, chairs, supported firing position, a grill, etc.

So far we have had probably 17-18 guys play. 3 USMC trained snipers, two SEALS, a couple FBI HRT, a secret service, a former Delta operator, a couple SWAT types, a professional hunter from Thorney Bush game perserve in South Africa and others. The best shooter was Steve Hendricks, a Gunsite instructor, grandmaster three gun shooter, last ranked 11th in the world.

So far only Earnest, the professional hunter was able to spot the three closest targets, No one has been able to find the target at 1380 without having it pointed out. Additionally no one has hit the target at 1380 yet either, and honestly most people miss the 980 a couple times.

Mathematically most precision rifles are shooting at 1 MOA. Thats 1" groups at 100 yards under PERFECT conditions. So at 1380 yards that 13.8 inch groups in a PERFECT condition. With even the slightest wind and regular human error, in addition to normal ballistic issues it all but but mathematically impossible to make the shots people are claiming.

We have this friendly contest going for some time, and so far no one has been able to show the error of our presumption and actually make these shots.

These shots are not duplicatable, and a lot of guys who are way smarter than me about ballistics, and way better shooters than I am think this all bullshit.

^^^ Fuck! lemme get this straight. because you and your friends cannot make a 1380 yard shot, the Canadian sniper did not make his claimed shot? Is that what your saying? If not please clarify.

Further your Da Da was friends with Carlos? Correct? Do you feel that Carlos's shot that was only 472 feet short of Furlongs was impossible? Is Carlos full of bullshit?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.