UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> bicep partial rip/detachment? how long/wtf?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/3/08 8:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FCTV808
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thing is saggin and ballin slightly like this pic shows. was rolling last night and big dude ripped it off my body.

went to the doc today. said normally they do not cut but the option is there for me since i need this for my job and he added that if they do surgically reattach, it speeds up healing time. anyway, he's set me up w/ another appointment at the sport surgeon at a good hospital here.

any additional info on this would be appreciated.
11/3/08 8:22 PM
FCTV808
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

here is a shot of it. appologies for the nip shot and unmanscaped asian hair. thx
11/14/08 3:14 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 months
11/14/08 4:24 PM
FCTV808

thx man. the last week, theres been more bruising. seen 2 docs and sched 1 nri. im opting to not cut. snowboarding in 1mos possible according to my doc. but no rolling. :(
11/28/08 9:50 AM
The Patriot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/08 9:59 AM
I had it done. I went to a ortho surgeon who's a surgeon for the florida panthers. Make sure you do the range of motion exercises pronate and supinate or you'll lose some range of motion rotating your hand from side to side. Within 6 months you should be back and a year you won't even think about it anymore. You can train before 6 month but be carefull work with people who have good control, clinch drills or work holding positions and escapes, no submissions.
11/28/08 1:49 PM
FCTV808

the patriot, i'm not getting the operation--for now. it's been almost a month and i started rolling w/ some of the teens at the school. 120lbs size so that i can hide my arm adequately. i don't think i can go w/ the big guys yet? when i have to push w/ my right arm, like when setting up a basic triangle, it's still really not stable and feels weak. i'm hoping to rehab that away. thx for the info.
11/28/08 10:30 PM
The Patriot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good luck
3/6/09 9:30 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ummm, my bicep tear was due to a fucked up rotator cuff.

the numbers i found say that up to 90% of bicep tears are due to rotator cuff injuries.

both my pt and dr said "it sure doesn't look like your rotator cuff is screwed up" but i got an mri anyway.

guess what....

2.5 cm buttonhole like tear thru the middle of one of the tendons.

i'd start talking to the doc about my rotator cuff.

fwiw, bicep injuries are supposed to be not too big a deal. they only reattach if there's a huge amount of deformity in the arm and you only lose about 3% strength in the injured arm.
3/6/09 12:01 PM
FCTV808

thx man. i've lost more than 3% EASILY. and my pec looks deformed. seems like about 10% of the outside edge is no longer their when flexed.

but i don't have the time to take off to get it repaired--or more like no time for the healing.

but it's semi functional now. i can roll but i notice the weakness when i play stronger heavier guys for sure.
3/6/09 3:46 PM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FCTV808 - thx man. i've lost more than 3% EASILY. and my pec looks deformed. seems like about 10% of the outside edge is no longer their when flexed.

The 3% number is after everything heals up. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Ummmmm, did they tell you if you tore your pec? That could change things quite a bit, but I don't know how much because I'm unfamiliar with that injury.

but i don't have the time to take off to get it repaired--or more like no time for the healing.

but it's semi functional now.

you may want to make time. you said its semi functional now. it will get more functional as the surrounding structures take over for the injured ones. BUT this means muscle/tendon/ligament designed for one job will continue doing that job AND take over the job of damaged muscle.

This can lead to muscle imbalances, overuse injuries and/or set you up for additional injuries in the future. And you can always injure structures that are healthy now by using your arm as it heals from this injury.

Its also possible, if you put off fixing this till years from now, that the body trying to heal itself will result in a suboptimal surgical repair.

That's one of the reasons I had my rotator cuff fixed now - even though I had no pain/problems. My dr told me fat starts to collect in the space where the tear is. The more fat, the less sturdy of a repair.

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR ALL THIS. Ask the surgeon you are going to see.

i can roll but i notice the weakness when i play stronger heavier guys for sure.

Make sure the surgeon knows what you train and at what level (for fun, for local competition, for national competition, for international competition, for MMA etc) as it all comes into play.
3/6/09 11:01 PM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a tough injury but to put thing in perspective, I had a severe neck strain & partially torn rotator cuff and then just noticed that my right bicep is missing...

Unfortunately, they just ruled out a partially torn bicep via MRI of my elbow and an arthrogram & MRI of my shoulder and are now leaning towards a cervical injury & nerve damage that has partially paralyzed my bicep.

So good luck & just keep in mind that things could be worse.
3/7/09 4:43 AM
FCTV808

thx guys. yeah the pec is torn and the injury occured nov 2 2008 so it's well on it's way to recovery, but no way is it going to be 100%.

i talked to the surgeon who does sports medicine for the local university athletes and some pro ball players. he said some w/ similar injuries opt not to fix and regain 100% full functionality but never 100% full strength. me, it will be neither as you just need specific strength in certain angles doing the bjj thing. i'm going to let it go a year though as he said it takes that long for full healing. we'll see and i'll keep you posted.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.