UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Chomsky Vs Foucault Debate Vid

11/4/08 12:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WveI_vgmPz8&feature=related

Two of the all time intellectuals going head to head.
11/4/08 1:09 PM
sanguine cynic

You know what's mind boggling if you watch that?

That they are speaking to eachother at such a high level in different languages, and understanding eachother completely

Geniuses.
11/17/08 6:00 AM
Joe Ray

What do they talk about?
11/17/08 10:18 AM
sanguine cynic

I think they are discussing Chomsky's anarchism and the nature of the human person.
11/17/08 10:22 AM
Joe Ray

i think I read a transcript a few years ago.

chomsky thinks the purpose of politics is to attain justice, Foucault thinks it is to attain a reconfiguartion of power relations.

I studied Foucault at university and found him kind of difficult to understand. Did you?
11/17/08 7:27 PM
sanguine cynic

He is obfuscate on purpose. There is a great little quote from a dialogue between him and I believe Robert Nozick that went like this.

"Michel, you are so easy to understand in person, but why is your writing so difficult?"

"Because in France, you are not respected if people can understand everything you say"
11/24/08 2:14 AM
thesleeper

They are talking about human nature. Foucault asserts that humans will always subvert egalitarianism into hierarchy.

He was a realist after all.
11/24/08 4:52 AM
Joe Ray

He is correct on that assertion.
12/3/08 5:14 PM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Foucault was paid a pound of hashish for doing this interview. It was referred to ever after as "the Chomsky hash". I'm fairly certain that Chomsky does not know what hash is.
12/9/08 4:03 AM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is hard to believe that Foucault does not make every effort to avoid clarity. His case seems much different than someone like Heidegger who makes a philosophical case for a unique vocabulary but reading Foucault in either English or French is often an effort difficult to justify. I too count myself as a admirer.

Chomsky is very easy to understand because first he makes the effort, and second, he is situated well within a comfortable Cartesian world-view he feels no need to question. Again, I count myself as a great admirer.
12/9/08 4:18 AM
Joe Ray

I read some Foucault at the weekend. Still don't understand a fucking word he says.
12/9/08 2:11 PM
sanguine cynic

What do you mean by cartesian conceit?
12/9/08 4:26 PM
bleier

I don't think that it is a cheap shot, it is just a reference to the way Chomsky understands human nature. I just don't agree with this concept. Chomsky himself attributes to ordinary people what he calls 'Cartesian common sense' which is a modernisitic view of the individual as 'knowing subject' or 'rational agent'. It's just where he starts the whole project.
12/9/08 5:11 PM
bleier

I'm a big Chomsky fan and a huge admirer, but I think this Cartesian epistemology/phil mind is the real limit to both his work in language and politics.
12/9/08 6:15 PM
sanguine cynic

Ahh..i can see that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.