UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> SPEAR Technique?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Raymondo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

I assume that you are talking about the 3 different levels of the SPEAR that occurs from the 3 different levels of awareness: Surprise, Suspision & Certainty. I'll go back to my videos and PDR manual and review the material again. Thanks for the help Sean and I look forward to seeing you again next year, Raymond.
10/9/01 6:00 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 09-Oct-01
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Good answer Sean, thanks. Raymond, here's some other ideas to ponder.... "what they should be doing is stepping forward into the attack as they flinch while trying to maintain a forward axis." What they should be doing is is defusing, de-escalating and avoiding... :-) That's 'Absolute' humour. But as there are no absolutes...remember the power of the flinch mechanism is that its hard-wired to the survival system...even in training it'll override a cognitve choice if the stimulus or fear is credible. This is a fantastic area to explore and is revealed specifically in 'alive' drills vs static ones. "I also came to the conclusion that in times of certainty, your flinch would not be as dramatic therefore enabling a more solid tactical response." Theorectically, this is true; provided the 'certainty' was based on our defintion of neuro-muscular communication and not simply a literal awareness [i.e. I am certain Im getting my ass kicked but am too afraid to move!]In testiment to thepower of behaviour and research, my answer above also applies to this. GOod observations, good questions. Tony
Raymondo

Dear Coach and PDR Team, I was doing some Spear Fundamentals with some of my guys. While analysing the way that some of us flinch we noticed that some of the guys had tendancy to put their weight on the rear foot. This meant that it took them more time to recover and go into a forward axis following their flinch from the holy shit moment. Some of the guys expressed their concerns because they felt that they would not be able to pull off a tactical SPEAR effectively (in times of CERTAINTY) due to the nature of the way that they flinched. I've rationalised the senario and come to the possibilty that the reason they put their weight on their back foot is an emotional response and what they should be doing is stepping forward into the attack as they flinch while trying to maintain a forward axis. I also came to the conclusion that in times of certainty, your flinch would not be as dramatic therefore enabling a more solid tactical response. Would appreciate your thoughts and comments on this, Raymondo...
Sean Mulligan

Raymondo, You're correct in your evaluations. During the certainty mindset, your response to the stimulus will be quicker as you are better prepared and will be acting on your opponents 'intent to act' or pre-contact cues. Mr. Blauer's Emotional Climate Drill walks us through the different phases and appropriate responses to the different levels of the specific attack. Also, recognize that moving towards the threat doesn't necessarily means to step forward. Through the R&D stages, one will learn to do a 'stance shift' placing their body in a better position to acquire that forward axis and essentially moving towards the threat. Hope that some of this makes sense and helps out. Sean

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.