UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> strange behavior

11/9/08 8:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Up until about two weeks ago whenever we left home we just put our dog outside in the back yard.

It's getting cooler and he has a fairly short coat so we decided to get a doggie door. Now, when we're gone, we just put up a gate in the kitchen and he can choose to either be outside or in the kitchen.

He's a small terrier mix (~15 lbs.) with a frame something like a JRT or a French Bulldog. The doggie door is 7"x11" IIRC. When we leave for the day, we put his bed/pillow in the kitchen with a few toys to play with.

When we come home about 8-8.5 hours later, he's always outside and has somehow managed to drag his toys and bed through the doggie door. Now, I understand the bed is flexible, but it must really take some work for him to do this.

So, my question is, anyone have any idea why he might be doing this?

I figure it's just boredom and it gives him something to do. I honestly don't care too much, but some days it's wet so the bed is too dirty to bring back inside without washing. Also, if I forget to take out the kitchen rugs they'll be out in the yard along with the blankets inside his dog house.

Tonight we left about 5:15 and did the same thing we do when we leave in the mornings. We came home at 6:45 and in that hour and a half he managed to take the bed outside again. Knowing he did it in this little time away makes me believe he does it not long after we leave everyday.

I know he's not stupid enough to stay outside if it gets dangerously cold, so I'm just curious about this behavior. We have ceramic tile in the kitchen, so it's not like he's going to come back inside and lie on it.

Would like some thoughts on this and I apologize for the FRAT.
11/10/08 2:06 AM
smileythai

You're right, it's boredom. Or more accurately, stress as the result of boredom.

Did you build the sandbox I suggested? Set up a springpole? Exercise the dog prior to its period of solitude? All of those things will help control stress and the escalating destructive behavior(s) by keeping the dog amused during the day. Done right it'll even allow you to get rid of the doggie/kiddie gates and give the dog the run of the house.

If you're worried about the cold you can buy/build a raised dog bed or simply get a plastic pallat from somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot. Lots of times the guys on the receiving dock will just give you one. But if not I'll look around for resources online.

11/10/08 5:27 AM
NorthFromHere
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try choking it.
11/10/08 10:01 AM
smileythai

NorthFromHere - Try choking it.

troll, troll, troll your boat
 gently down the stream
 merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
 life is but a dream...

11/10/08 11:06 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds like boredom. I'd be worried about letting the dog outside in the yard when I'm not home. As a solution, I'd either lock the doggie door or try a crate - but I dont know your dog so something else might fit his personality best.
11/10/08 6:26 PM
MikeD

He's fine in the yard while we're not home. That's been the routine for the last six plus months.

I can't even begin to describe what he did today though. I wasn't even really made at what he did, more impressed than anything.

I recorded the aftermath onto my wife's camcorder. If I can order the correct cables I'll see if I can host the aftermath vid, plus some other, onto YouTube. Unreal man, unreal.
11/10/08 9:58 PM
smileythai

Youtube is your friend!   lol
11/11/08 9:27 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol oh man. I know that feeling of walking into a shit storm.

11/11/08 9:37 AM
smileythai

MikeZev -  lol oh man. I know that feeling of walking into a shit storm.

Pfft! That's nothing.

When I was first starting out with my APBT bitch there was a time once when she got out of the crate when I was at work. Girlfriend came home to futon and pillows shredded into a MILLION pieces. Our carpet was a shade or two lighter then yours, but you could barely see it under the layer of cotton filler. Looked like someone threw the futon and pillows into one of those heavy duty tree chippers and sprayed it into the living room. 

One of the many foibles and behavioral issues stemming from inadequate training methods and handler error!  lol

11/11/08 11:49 AM
MikeZev

that was a dog toy that i left her with for about 1/2 an hour. I typically dont leave her uncrated but that day i ran across the street for a bagel and got into a conversation with someone. thankfully, this dog never destroyed anything that wasnt hers..
11/11/08 3:53 PM
MikeD

That is child's play compared to what I walked into yesterday. I'll host the vid once I get cables or whatever it is I need to upload it.
11/20/08 8:14 PM
MountainMedic
726 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my leonberger used to do it ALL the time (exact same set up). once i came home and he had somehow opened the garage and literally emptied it!

looked like i was having a yard sale. and there was loose potting soil in the freaking rafters. took me all day to clean it up.... after i went for a nice long walk (i told myself i couldn't come home until i was laughing about it)

woah! first og post. first og visit, actually-MM
11/24/08 8:04 AM
MikeD

Edited: 11/24/08 10:29 AM
If I can get him to poop in the morning I'll go ahead and crate him for the time being. The problem is some mornings I can't get him to poop, even with exercise, before the wife and I leave for work.

I'm thinking about getting something cheap to put in the kitchen that he can't get out of the doggie door. Something like a smaller version of those foldable mats we all used in Phys Ed.
11/24/08 5:21 PM
MountainMedic
726 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ensolite pad (backpacking style)glued into the bottom of a kiddie wading pool. you can put old blankets in there as well. i looked at it as giving him something to do. in the bigger scheme, he could have wrecked alot more stuff so i called it a trade off. and a tether ball made him pretty happy too.
11/24/08 6:42 PM
MikeD

I have everything I need now to upload to YouTube. If anyone wants to see the video, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpCAUYv4T7Y

If someone could embed that would be great!

Sorry the grainy and widescreen footage.
11/24/08 6:45 PM
smileythai

11/24/08 6:49 PM
smileythai

D-A-M-N ! ! !
11/24/08 11:28 PM
ChokeTheFace
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats intense. Cute dog, though--ahhahah.
11/25/08 10:19 AM
MikeZev

LOL thats nuts. i have to watch it lkater when i have sound..
11/25/08 5:22 PM
MikeD

Smiley, thanks for embedding the vid!

So today, I realized I could record him while we were gone the entire day with the built in webcam on my wife's Macbook.

This was going to provide me with some visual evidence of his debauchery.

Low and behold, this is the first time that I can remember that the terrorist didn't take out his bed!

My wife came home first, which is unusual, to find his bed in the exact spot I left it this morning. It's like he knew he was being filmed. I'll catch the bastard one of these days.

I messed up saving the video anyway, so I didn't get to see anything.
11/25/08 10:20 PM
smileythai

No problem.

So what was different about today that spared you the dog's terror?

Getting colder now so even I'd be hesitant to go building shit these days. But I'd still recommend you get the springpole and sandbox ideas going sooner then later.
11/25/08 11:18 PM
MikeD

smileythai - 
So what was different about today that spared you the dog's terror?

Nothing that I can think of. We went for a usual 30 minute walk before I left, but that's it.

Getting colder now so even I'd be hesitant to go building shit these days.

Being a little dude without a thick coat, I thought he wouldn't like cool weather too much. Pffft! It can be 25 degrees and if I haven't went out to do something with him within a couple hours of him being awake, he'll go out on his own for a while. He just generally prefers to be outside.

But I'd still recommend you get the springpole and sandbox ideas going sooner then later.

You'll have to tell me about those again.
11/26/08 9:41 AM
MikeZev

the little guys like the flirt pole too. he'd clear a sandbox out in likr 5 minutes I'm willing to bet.

flirtpole vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuhEdrzhTBw

springpole vid" (dogs back feet should touch ground) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKlzoA90jTs&feature=related
11/26/08 10:11 AM
smileythai

11/26/08 10:12 AM
smileythai

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.