UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> strange behavior

11/26/08 10:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^This is actually the springpole set-up I like best. Heavy bag hanger and a commercial spring(or one for garage doors) are pretty cheap and nearly indestructible.

11/26/08 12:31 PM
MikeD

Are you recommending these to give him something to do when we're gone?

The flirt pole seems neat, but someone would have to be here to play with him.

The spring pole is cool as well. In the second video is it held in place by concrete?

I've played around with that same concept before. I tied rope around one of his toys and threw it over a branch on a tree. I would hold the other end of the rope and raise and lower it as needed. He seemed to enjoy it, although I was a little cautious about it injuring his new, jaws, or teeth.

What's the deal with the sandbox? Just something for him to dig in?
11/26/08 12:47 PM
MikeZev
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

srping pole should be supervised. flirt pole, well obviously needs you to be there. both are great exercise options if ur not into walikng 5 miles a day.
11/26/08 1:00 PM
smileythai

Yeah, the flirtpole is obviously something you use when you're with the dog.

The set-up in the second video is attached to what looks like sheet metal paneling due to the instability of the surface behind it...ie: the ripples don't not provide a level surface or deep enough anchor. It's probably some kind of shed or pre-fabricated garage. Not the best structures to let an APBT exercise near. lol

Anyways, if you drill it into solid wood(or studs) or cement blocks you'll be just fine.

The sandbox is a good idea for a little terrier because it lets them stay out of trouble by burning off energy with an instinctive activity...ie: the dog's go-to-ground nature. Properly introduced it'll diver the dog's energy away from dragging its bed outside every day. It can also serve as an area for the dog relieve itself so as not to continously burn up your backyard(yellow spots).

Some pressure treated lumber(can be the usual garden borders or as big as 6x6 planks) can square in as big or little an area of sand as you want, though it doesn't really have to be bigger than say 5ft by 5ft. Just make sure you make it deep enough so the dog doesn't dig to dirt. The people at home improvement stores should be able to give you construction tips and you can also scan the web for specific plans.

11/26/08 1:05 PM
smileythai

Edited: 11/26/08 1:05 PM
MikeZev - srping pole should be supervised.
I disagree. Never had an issue myself or known anyone else who has either. 

But if there are concerns you can just keep extra length on the rope so the dog's feet remain grounded. Provides easy access and no way the dog hurts its mouth or tail.

11/27/08 1:31 AM
smileythai

MikeD - 

Getting colder now so even I'd be hesitant to go building shit these days.
Being a little dude without a thick coat, I thought he wouldn't like cool weather too much. Pffft! It can be 25 degrees and if I haven't went out to do something with him within a couple hours of him being awake, he'll go out on his own for a while. He just generally prefers to be outside.
Actually I was referring to the weather being reason for YOU to not be outside building shit these days. Don't know where you live but the cold is major suck around here. Wouldn't want to be doing much more than screwing a springpole set-up into the side of the house right now.

Damn the sandbox. I'd feed that fucker as many beds as it wanted from now until spring! j/k lol

11/30/08 8:24 PM
MikeD

Since his last episode of pulling out his outdoor dog house blankets he's been without anything like that outside. Wouldn't you know we found a dog bed/pillow in our trunk that we had forgotten about.

We put it in his dog house and left to bowl with some friends at 1:40. We kept him outside while we were gone b/c we had a lot of Xmas stuff up that we didn't want to have to put away. He hadn't peed in a while so I didn't want to crate him b/c I didn't know how long we'd be gone.

We returned about 4:15 or so to find this bed destroyed as well.

BTW, this was after a 2.25 mile run, 4x10 sec sprints w/:30 recovery, and 5 minutes of off leash squirrel treeing/tracking/chasing.

Oh the little terrorists!
12/1/08 1:08 AM
smileythai

I feel for you, bro! 

But right now it's more important to concentrate on obedience once you get the prong fitted correctly. Exercise is good, but honestly, even 3-4 mile runs and wind sprints aren't much more than a warmup for healthy, high drive dogs like your little monster. But let's say he was tuckered out from the exercise before you left. He still had 2hrs+ to sleep/recover AND still destroy shit thanks to stress.

So start your OB program and keep the dog confined or without access to things it can destroy during the day.

12/1/08 8:35 PM
MikeD

smileythai - I feel for you, bro!

I makes me laugh as much as it upsets me. I mean, he's a terrorist, it's not like I know he's not capable of these things. 

But right now it's more important to concentrate on obedience once you get the prong fitted correctly.

Don't get me wrong, he's not obedient in the uncompromising way you often speak of, but he could be much, much worse. He's (I've) come a long way from a few months ago.

Exercise is good, but honestly, even 3-4 mile runs and wind sprints aren't much more than a warmup for healthy, high drive dogs like your little monster.

You're telling me! We'll run four miles or so sometimes, and when we come through the gate off he goes pouncing on his toys.

So start your OB program and keep the dog confined or without access to things it can destroy during the day.

We crated him today b/c I got him to relieve himself in both ways today. It was kind of nice coming home to nothing destroyed.
12/4/08 7:07 PM
MikeD

No pics or video as evidence, but after Monday's turn of events, he will be crated while we're gone, for the foreseeable future.
12/5/08 10:36 AM
MikeZev
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

start feeding him in the crate and introducing him to the crate for short periods of time to transition him. most dogs tend to like it if you associate good things with crating.
12/5/08 7:25 PM
MikeD

The crate is all good. He's been sleeping in it every night since we got him.
12/7/08 9:10 AM
MikeZev

nice!
12/7/08 6:27 PM
MikeD

But since we're on the topic of crating...

How do you go about feeding and crating when you leave for the day, Mike? Or do you just feed once a day, later when you return?
12/8/08 9:11 AM
MikeZev

i usually let the dogs out in the morning - 10-15 minutes in the yard and then feed them a small meal when they get in in thier crates. no water or very little. i guess it would make the most sense to feed them first then let them out but for whatever reason my dogs bolt for the door as soon as they wake up. barring illness related incidents, i've not had a dog piss or shit in the crate (except this puppy, once).
12/8/08 5:09 PM
MikeD

Okay, cool. Good to know.

I haven't exactly figured out how I want to do it.

So far, I've been waking up at about 6 or 6:15, opening the doggie door for him to go out, then feeding immediately.

After I brush my teeth and throw on some clothes I take him for a 20-35 minute walk.

Then, whoever leaves last crates him with just a little water (which he rarely drinks any of).

This has been working well, but I know it's not a great idea to have exercise immediately following the meal. He's not a deep-chested dog, so I don't think bloat is too big of a concern. Plus, it's not that vigorous of exercise. However, if presented with strong evidence I would change the process.

Aside from him throwing up twice, he's never had any type of accident in his crate either in the 8 months we've had him.
12/9/08 12:22 PM
MikeZev

what have you been using the crate for before this?
12/9/08 5:22 PM
MikeD

Sleeping at night.
12/9/08 5:31 PM
MikeZev

ah. i did that too at first then felt bad about having her in the crate for so long. now she sleeps on her bed next to mine and spends the day in the crate.
12/9/08 8:01 PM
MikeD

We had the same thoughts, so either Saturday or Sunday night we left the crate door open so so maybe he didn't feel too confined.

Then, last night, he woke us up going through the bedroom waste container.

I hate to keep him crated 16 hours a day, but these are the choices he has made.
12/9/08 8:14 PM
smileythai

16hrs? Holy Fuck!! Either get with the program or get rid of the dog...seriously!

12/9/08 8:28 PM
MikeD

It's only been that way for like two days.

It's not like that isn't unheard of either. That's anyone who crates during the day, which many do, and also crates at night.
12/9/08 8:31 PM
smileythai

More than 8hrs = need to downgrade to cats or goldfish.

12/9/08 8:36 PM
MikeD

So people that work 10 hours shifts shouldn't have dogs?
12/9/08 8:45 PM
smileythai

Basically.

Honestly, what's the point in even having a dog if it's gonna spend 2/3 of the day crated? You just need to caress something warm and fuzzy while you wind down from the day by watching television? Cats or coochie are better suited for that, imo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.