UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> strange behavior

12/9/08 9:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smileythai - 
Honestly, what's the point in even having a dog if it's gonna spend 2/3 of the day crated?

Like I said, that's happened 2-3 days out of what, 210? This isn't a permanent thing.

You just need to caress something warm and fuzzy while you wind down from the day by watching television?

No, it's not even like that. I think this is leading to personal attacking which I'm not going to be a part of.
12/9/08 9:20 PM
smileythai

What, now I'm launching personal attacks because you dislike Koehler? Be serious, bro!

The problem is that like many you're viewing the crate/confinement as a solution to behavioral issues. It's not. The crate is a training tool, not cold storage.

12/9/08 9:31 PM
MikeD

smileythai - What, now I'm launching personal attacks because you dislike Koehler? Be serious, bro!

I never said I "disliked" Koehler. I can see how it can be useful.

The problem is that like many you're viewing the crate/confinement as a solution to behavioral issues. It's not.

Sure, I am using it as a solution to stop unwanted behavior during the day. It would be better to treat the cause, not the symptoms, but I don't know how I'm going to address that. This is what I'm going to do for the time being.

Yes, I've crated him during the day and night for a couple of days, but this isn't permanent. Tonight, I'll leave the door open.

The crate is a training tool, not cold storage.

So, using a crate to confine a dog while one is away at work is using it as a "training tool?"
12/9/08 10:09 PM
smileythai

Re: Koehler...relax! I'm breaking your balls.

Yes, the crate is a training tool. It's to be used for house-breaking and obedience exercises, such as stimulating attentiveness prior to training sessions, making sure the dog will travel well, and as a negative consequence for unwanted behaviors...ie: briefly recrate the dog each time it bolts to the door, displays aggression/disobedience when not on lead, etc).

The fact that people crate their dogs for extended periods is another issue entirely. To be sure, it boils down to control issues based on ignorance and/or convenience, but still, I'm not condemning it altogether. I'm just stating that when a person crates a dog for more than 8hrs a day it's a strong indication that they don't need/shouldn't have a dog at this point in time. Why? Perhaps you're just too busy(ie: 10hr shifts)? Maybe the dog simply exceeds your handling ability? Sure, 1 or 2 long days in the crate does not an irresponsible owner make, but at the same time you gotta be honest enough with yourself to do the right thing...either fix the problem(training, work schedule, etc) or rehome the dog.

I'm not coming down on you or being a malicious prick, either. I'm stating this as someone who's walked in your shoes and faced the same decisions. I could have had a new pup months ago save for the fact I was going to school during the day and working 10-12hr shifts at night. Sleep, studying, and commuting aside, that left me with what, 1-2hrs dedicated to a dog each day? Only a selfish fool would subject a dog to that kind of life.

12/10/08 9:09 AM
MikeZev
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mike, when i made the switch from having her sleep ion the crate at night to our bedroom i got the excellent advice to leash her to the leg of the bed. its a simple idea, it lets the dog have some freedom and allows it to be near you but also give it boundaries. It has worked for me with several dogs since trying it with sicily. i know that its frustrating dealing with a tough dog and feeling that the crate is the only answer. Chances are this will work out after a couple nights if not immediately.
12/10/08 10:44 AM
MikeD

Yeah, it's not really a big deal. I opened the crate door last night, so if he needed to move about some he could. I may even put his bed in there and just let him have the choice. It's not like I planned on crating him day and night forever. It was just a day or so 'til I figured things out. When the weather gets nicer he probably won't be crated at all.
12/10/08 1:12 PM
Dmclat
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I first got my dog, she was ~6 months old, she had been crate trained. I was single and worked an 8+ hour day, w/ commuting and everything that led to a little more than 9 hours in the crate alone during the day. I felt bad so left her out a few times (house destroyed). She also was in the crate at night. This went on for a few months. I then allowed her to be out of the crate at night and slowly over the next few months i allowed her to prove herself out of the crate during short trips to the store and what not.

In the morning I would wake up an hour early for her. take a quick walk in yard (5-10 minutes). She would eat. Then I would take her for a 20 minute walk/jog combo. Let her chill for a bit then allow her to relieve herself. Then into the cage for the day w/ a bowl of water.

We no longer use the crate. It was a great tool to teach her the house was not hers. Her area was the crate...She never got punished in/with the crate and always got treats before/after.
12/10/08 4:19 PM
MikeD

Sounds like you guys had a good plan and things worked out well.
12/10/08 7:40 PM
Total JJ

Edited: 12/10/08 7:43 PM
 MikeD-

If your dog is young or small you may want to transition the dog from crating to roaming free in the house by using an exercise pen...

Exercise Pen

This is something I use with all of my young dogs to help acclimate them to being free without allowing them to destroy my house.

The pens are really lightweight and portable...very easy to move and re-position when needed.

Hope whatever you use works out for you.
12/10/08 10:24 PM
MikeD

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out later.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.