UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Less than a month to take GRE, Help!

11/11/08 11:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OriginalNancyVag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the best resource I should utilize? I just took a practice test and scored just shy of 1200 and need AT LEAST a 1200. I want to get the best score I can, with the time constraints I have, so I need help. Are there online resources, CD's or books you would recommend?

Thanks.
11/11/08 12:32 PM
OriginalNancyVag

I am taking it on 11/21 and I haven't studied at all. I guess it's cram time. Any suggestions are greatly valued.
11/11/08 4:16 PM
Lancifer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for this...I need to take the GRE or GMAT before January 5th and I don't even know where to start.
11/11/08 6:14 PM
OriginalNancyVag

I bought the Kaplan and Peterson book. Between them, I have over 10 practice tests. I will be taking it on Monday, the 17th now. I should be fine.
11/11/08 6:44 PM
Lancifer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just joined the Kaplan community and they have some GMAT practice tests I took...short, but gave a taste of what each section would be like.

...I was running about 80%.  I'm going to have to really up my game in the next two months!

Keep me posted on how you're progressing
11/11/08 10:10 PM
OriginalNancyVag

That's a good tip about root words. Some of the vocab is so brutal, luckily though, my other sections are strong enough to pull that up. Thanks, i'll be aight.
11/12/08 4:28 PM
OriginalNancyVag

Oh man. My verbal is SO brutal. I never took the SAT (we only had to take the ACT), so I never developed that type of vocab. My Quantitative is fine, I am consistently scoring from 650-700 (and I haven't studied Math yet). My verbal is just so brutal, I do well on the sentence completion but on the antonyms and analogies, I am lost. I am consistently scoring around 500. OH NOSE!!! For the verbal, I think I can bolster my reading comprehension - through practice - and may be able to study enough math to increase 50 points.

With a combination of those two improvements and a little luck, I may be alright.

I think some luck will help.
11/13/08 9:00 AM
OriginalNancyVag

After three full practice tests, I got a 1220. I think I have gained as much as I can from practice effects, now I need to actually study. I read that the Peterson tests were actually tougher than the real test, so I hope that holds true.

I think I will start on the Kaplan book and see where I'm at under that assessment.
11/14/08 7:08 PM
OriginalNancyVag

Yeah, so I took the Kaplan and got almost 200 less. I am disillusioned and will probably get like a 1000 through a combination of horrible fortune and an overall reaping of laziness and procrastination.

"I'm getting what I deserve, I'm reaping what I sowed"

Lol, not preparing for this test will cost me like 20 or 30k, YAY!

I'm going to go vomit now.
11/15/08 12:04 PM
OriginalNancyVag

After vomiting last night, I woke up this morning and took another Kaplan practice test.

This time, I scored 100 points higher than I've ever (1320 - Q710 V610). Now I feel like it's completely based on the luck of the draw, after ranging 300 points on two tests within 24 hours.
11/15/08 12:15 PM
Lancifer

You are starting to frighten me, LOLS!

*hides under bed and takes no more practice tests*
11/16/08 9:12 PM
OriginalNancyVag

Okay, I have to take it tomorrow morning at 8:30.

Here are my practice test results:

Peterson 

Test 1 - Q640 V500

Test 2 - Q680 V540

Test 3 - Q660 V500

Kaplan

Test 1 - Q640 V430

Test 2 - Q710 V610

Averages
Q666 V516

So I have an average of 1192 and I need a 1200 tomorrow. 40% of the time, I have scored a 1200 or above. 

Hopefully, I will have just a little luck.

I would appreciate any luck or prayers you guys can send my way. I know at the end of the day that God's will will be done, but getting a 1200 would be my will. We shall see if it is in-line with his will.

Thanks for going on this journey with me and allow me to serve as a cautionary tale; START STUDYING VOCAB AND ROOT WORDS TONIGHT!!!

Peace

11/17/08 4:37 PM
OriginalNancyVag

So I got an 1140 (Q630 V510). I took two versions of the verbal, one felt REALLY good and I was sure that I did better than ever on it, but they most likely took the other one. Blech, I couldn't even finish the last three on the Quant, they threw me some curveballs, blech.

I'm not happy with this result but it is probably fitting.
11/24/08 2:07 AM
thesleeper

Barron's is the best prep book. The Kaplan's practice tests are not very close to the ETS tests, wouldn't recommend them.

To study for the verbal you need the full 3500 word list that they draw from. I went through and started with the least familiar words and worked my way to fairly familiar words. Make word lists and self test. Make the word lists based on resemblance to other words. You only really need to know the resemblances to get the antonym and synonym sections. Read some political theory or philosophy to practice for the reading part.
11/28/08 3:27 PM
P.V.Jena

Princeton Review's Word Smart, a collection of commonly used words was excellent.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.