UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> system?

11/12/08 3:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ams
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is the way grappling is taught within the SBG taught in a system similar to the way Eddie Bravo and Michael Jen does?
11/13/08 4:46 PM
Mike Sweeney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No.
11/14/08 9:17 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...and at the same time yes:)
11/14/08 6:47 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No in that we do not individualize or teach a style if that is what you mean. I have not trained with those two so can't comment on them or what they do.

If systematic is what you mean by taking one technique or concept and teaching it, drilling it, and integrating it from many sides and with many options then yes. We do not teach piece meal or in the typical a few random techniques and role approach.

Personally I think that teaching everything as it relates to the whole is beneficial on many levels and ultimately leads to a much greater learning curve and measureable results. So in a nutshell for me, introduction, isolation and then integration is not just for individual techniques but for drilling and series of techniques as well.

For example, with the harness dvd I took one position and taught it from many sides that related to one another in concept and strategy and if you have seen Matt coach guard passing he takes several passes and integrates them agaisnt several energies for one working drill that functions very much as a systematic progression towards improved guard passing. Same with pinning, cycling set ups etc.

Hope this answers your question,

-Luis
11/15/08 8:06 AM
ams
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the informative answer!
11/16/08 6:52 PM
Mike Sweeney

I have a thing against the word "system."

:)
11/17/08 9:37 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rage Against The System...
11/19/08 7:40 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

System as in inter-related /dependant (i.e. systems theory) not system as in brand, style or dead and static ya paranoid anarchists :0)
12/30/08 3:38 PM
FJJ828

NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C., Owner
System(a) 9 from Outer Space...?

Aghhhhhhhhh!!!!
12/30/08 11:53 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.