UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Made a sick chicken noodle soup.

11/12/08 5:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SE7ENFOLD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chunky Chicken Legg Noodle Soup.

INGREDIENTS.

6-7 med/large chicken legs

2 Large Carrots ( cut into rounds/halfs/quarters )

4-5 Stocks of celery ( with leaf greens )

1/2 Medium Onion diced

1 tablespoon Dried Basil

1/2 Tablespoon Thyme

2 Large Bay leaves

1 Tablespoon Parsley

1\4 Teaspoon Garlic salt

10-12 Turns of Salt and Pepper from Mill

Enough Water to cover chicken in pot

1-1/2 boxes of chicken stock

2-3 cups of No Yoke Medium size egg noodles( handful or two...or 3)

DIRECTIONS.

Put chicken in pot and cover with water and stock mix( just enough to cover chicken for now)
Boil chicken for 1 hour. Remove chicken to cool, remove skin and de-bone chicken and chop into bitesize pieces.
Add carrots, celery and onions to remaining liquid. Add some more water and stock to to pot to boil vegies.
Add all remaining ingredients except pasta and boil then simmer until carrrots and celery soften.
add any spices to taste if measurment above are not enough.
Add egg noodles 20 - 30 minutes before serving.
11/12/08 5:33 PM
SE7ENFOLD

This is the first time that I have made soup. My wife usually makes it in the slow cooker, but always turns out to be a stoup. She puts rice in it and it gets thick and mushy.

So I thought I'd try a different way......and it turned out WICKED!
11/15/08 10:13 PM
TSMontana
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/16/08 12:16 AM
Always thought doing CNS with dark meat chicken (thighs/legs with bone-in) always came out better than using any white meat. I basically do what you did, but I Crock Pot the chicken slowly overnight, before de-boning the chicken and broth (use fingers to shred chicken, and pour broth through fine-mesh strainer), and transferring to stock pot, going to step 3 in your recipe.
11/28/08 11:07 PM
jave
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey 7, got any pics? ... I do almost the same for a stew I make from chicken legs.

I make chicken noodle soup from leftover roasted chiken when I make it, I am interested in how the chicken strings out in the soup. Does it stay in chunks, or does it go all thin and stringy like?
11/29/08 11:25 AM
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you cook the legs before putting them in the water?
12/31/08 10:55 AM
MasterGumHo

Very similar to my recipe, but I usually use thighs.

Boil them high and fast, then take them out and let cool while I get the vegetables working..This is the easiest thing ever to make because as long as it isnt watered down, you can use any vegetables you have on hand and EVEN a combination of frozen and canned ones. My grocery store makes a "stew blend" of carrots, small potatoes, celery already chopped.

I sometimes put sliced avocado into the individual servings, too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.