UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> I'm melting! I'm melting!

11/13/08 2:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This isn't the usual sort of post where the poster is either seeking or providing insight. I think I just need to get my thoughts down somewhere to focus my mind on where to go from here. Some background: As many of you know, I've been a mod here for close to eight years. Indeed, most of the rednamers here were made so from my asking for it from Kirik. However, over the last few years, I've been especially scarce.

It seems like just yesterday, but it was 2005 and I was 26 years old. I weighed 160# at about 10% bf and could DL close to 400# for my 1RM. I ran 1.5m in about 10:45 and could knock out about 85 pushups in a minute. Not amazing numbers, but unreal to someone who couldn't do a single pushup in high school gym class.

Then other things started happening. Without getting into TMI, I had a very, very serious problem with my national guard unit, my friendships, one by one, started drifting away, my civilian career slowed to a crawl, and I spent far too much time with a lady called Sweet Amber (for you Metallica fans). My workouts and my legendarily clean diet both began to slip and so did my energy. found myself in a classic vicious cycle: the less I worked out, the less energetic I felt, the less energetic I felt, the less I felt like working out.

I was hitting bottom and so started making some drastic changes. Aspects of my life started coming together. I now find myself better off career/money-wise than I ever have been and have reconnected with the world socially. But my workout work ethic has still lagged.

So now here at the end of 2008, I find myself a couple of months away from the big THREE-O, I'm about 30-40 lbs heavier than I was in 2005, and I find myself associating MMA more with something I watch while guzzling beer and eating greasy bar food than with something that I'd *DO*. My mindset and priorities are very different from what they were when I first found myself on this forum. While I can hear bits of the old me telling myself to grow a pair and pull myself together, the current me just feels very comfortable. Dangerously comfortable.

Thank you for reading. And yes...I know...FRAT!
11/13/08 4:32 AM
androushka
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scaling down on training and nazi-eating protocol and changing focus/priorities is a part of maturing/evolving, and we all get comfortable as we grow older. You have to look after your basic health though, and the longer ago the glory days were, the harder and less rewarding will the battle for basic health (weight-control, absence of metabolic risk-factors for illness, basic stregth and mobility etc etc) be. Don't fight to go backwards in your development,2005 is gone for a reason, find new ways to look after yourself.
11/13/08 3:06 PM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was pretty much in the same position between 04' - 06'. Work and relationships were bringing me down, I stopped grappling, I only went to the gym infrequently and was in my worst shape in years at 225lbs. While my strength and fitness weren't terrible, I was lifting 20-30kg less than my PR's set between 01'-03' and wasn't making any progress in my training at all. I also started looking way older too; In my mid-twenties I had always looked 4-5 years younger than I really was but from 27-29 people kept picking me as being in my mid-to-late thirties which was kind of depressing.

Then after turning 30 I finally stopped making excuses and got my act together. I got my diet under control and bought enough home equipment so I would have no excuse not to train hard. Now at the end of 08' I'm 15 pounds lighter with a lot more muscle, I've matched many of my old best lifts and set some new PR's and I'm putting in some decently fast 5&10km times. I've even gone back to looking younger again and now most people I deal with seem to think I'm only about 25.

It's just a case of getting that initial motivation to train hard back and forcing yourself out of the slump. Then the more your train the easier it is to keep pushing yourself everyday.
11/13/08 6:47 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Dev,

Give me a call. Let's figure this out. I am here for you, 100%!

TAKU
11/13/08 10:28 PM
Wiggy
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buddhadev - shoot me an email.  I've got ONE HELL of an idea...

Wiggy - www.workingclassfitness.com
11/14/08 9:20 AM
groundfighter2000
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^that sounds....not fun^
11/14/08 10:33 AM
Wiggy
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL...it's not *that* bad - haha.

Buddhadev - check your myspace email, mang. I emailed you back.
11/15/08 2:27 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/08 1:31 PM
Matt:

Just e-mailed you back bro.

Liam:

thanks again for listening today.

Androushka:

You're right and I guess I kind of knew that. Thinking back to "good times" can often be a crutch. It's why so many has-beens never grow.

Dogmeat:

Much wisdom in what you say. I think the whole "starting inertia" block for me is just sort of a need to hit the "reset" button. To that end, I've scheduled a massage. :-)
11/15/08 12:32 PM
HarryLime
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just turned 36 and I'm back on track to being in the best shape of my life after going through similar periods of being unmotiviated/inactive because of stress at work and home.

When you're in your early to mid 20's it's extremely easily to invest tons to time in training and make great gains. As your career progresses the demands on both your time and recovery ability may not allow for the same approach you had in your 20's.

But . . . you've accumulated lots of training knowledge from books, friends, this forum -- great, you can use your imagination and experience to train more efficiently than you did at 26.

If your past competing in any sports, train to be successful at life. That's the really important game.

My advice:

Make time for cardio -- it's restorative, important to cardiac health and is absolutely critical in managing stress.

Create a minimal set up at home -- you'll never have any excuse to avoid strength training. Try to schedule any training that's very hard on the CNS away from important events in work/life.
11/15/08 2:25 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Dev,

No worries, always good to catch up with you. I'll call you back in a couple of days, I have an idea I would like to discuss with you.

TAKU T.N.T.
11/15/08 2:29 PM
U4EA
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Budd - I've actually been in a very similar position to yourself not very long ago.

The problem I have with trying to communicate something to you is that it might just fall on deaf ears. It certainly did for along time when I was trying to talk to myself.

One thing I learned is how you learn things. During your decline you went on a learning curve than meant you strayed far away from where you are. I've sat there so many times thinking "WTF am I doing to myself?". The only way to stop it is to just stop it.

Your bad habits are self-engendering. Start some good habits. Progressively add them into your life and they will engender other good habits. everyday, do something whether it's a bit of exercise or healthy eating. Everyday. Everyday. We are pattern seeking animals. Constant exposure to the pattern will help you learn.

You have the drive to get there so it's all taken care of. Just start it today.
11/15/08 5:13 PM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know, I found myself in the same place this past winter. The stress & lack of free time resulting from an absolutely ridiculous string of serious family problems combined with a painful shoulder injury that I couldn't afford to get fixed left me WAY out of shape and a college dropout. I finally decided that I had enough and wanted what I had when I was 21 back. I went back to school and finished my degree last spring and as soon as my classes were finished, I started using that time to go to the gym 4-5 days a week.

I still haven't been able to get back into training because my work schedule is all over the place (days, nights, weekends, holidays, doubles...) BUT @ 6' I went from a very out of shape 200 down to a very lean 179 and have built myself back up to 189 @ 9% BF. I feel GREAT and when the market picks up, I will get a different job with a regular schedule and I will get back to BJJ.

You absolutely CAN do it, it's just a question of getting over that initial hump of getting back into it and working past the frustration of not being on the same level that you used to be.

Don't make any excuses, just do it. Didn't get much sleep last night? So what, get your ass to the gym and you'll sleep like a baby tonight. Sick? Skip the gym but STICK TO YOUR DIET...

You'll start seeing results faster than you think and that will motivate the hell out of you.
11/16/08 10:05 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been through this, although not with a 30-40 lb gain. Fulltime salary (over 40 hours) work, + 20-30 hours of study a week + marriage. Basically life. I was out of shape for me.

I started focusing on healthy things that I like to do. Made it fun again.

Mountain biking, hiking. Weightlifting hasn't taken a back seat. In fact I've found NOT focusing on lifting has helped me become better at it if that makes sense. Since I only go to the gym when I WANT to, I really feel like I get better quality work in. Not just going through the motions.

I eat well but not regimented. Basically beradi's PN style eating but I don't keep compliance charts because I don't need to. I cook good food that I like to eat and I eat bad food from time to time as a reward.

I'm happy to say that in a short time I've gotten myself back in pretty damn good mountain biking shape, my body looks good, I feel healthy and I repped 225x10 DL a few days ago for fun.

Actually I'm gonna go for a ride now so enough of the intarweb. Make it fun!
11/17/08 11:23 AM
stampy

4 years, 40 lbs. In another 4 years, you'll have gained another 40 lbs. Is that "comfortable" for you? Sadly to say, it sounds as if it is, so you better get ready for it. You've reconnected socially...with what type of people? Are they gym buddies, or football-on-TV-and-a-six-pack buddies? Does your gal like to go out for a huge meal three times a week and you share a bucket of ice cream together on the weekends, snuggled under the blankets watching Thelma and Louise? Or is your gal your training partner--you know, the one who heads out with you at 8 a.m. for an hour run on Sunday before spending the day painting the house, tending the garden, and playing frisbee at the park with you as the sun goes down and you bike back to your house, eat a healthy meal, and have one last hour aerobic workout for the weekend?

If "working out" is something you do that is totally unconnected to the rest of your lifestyle, then your chances at success are going to be considerably lower.

Obviously, you CAN choose to change. 30 is young. You will first need to simply stop the weight gain. Get your diet under control bit by bit, increase your exercise bit by bit, until you've stemmed the tide of weight gain. Feeling a little better now? Notice a little increase in energy levels, in mental outlook? Then make it a goal to lose a few lbs a month. Not much, barely perceptible--but so has the gain in weight been, that creeping malaise that took 4 years to set in can't be turned around overnight. Trying to do so will likely lead only to failure and frustration.

Find a healthy hobby, make some new friends if need be, and start changing your life.

Choose to change.

Best of luck,
Stampy
11/17/08 2:14 PM
groundfighter2000
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/17/08 3:43 PM
signaljammer

I didn't start this thread but I'm glad for the advice being given.
11/18/08 2:33 PM
Buddhadev

Thanks guys. You all have very insightful things to say and I appreciate the fact that none of you have made it "cookie cutter" at all.
11/18/08 2:42 PM
U4EA
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Budd - I can only re-iterate...

... change something. Anything. No matter how big or small. A good thing to do is start a little notepad file on your Windows desktop and make a list of things to do. Just pick one thing a day. It's all self-engendering. Remember that.

Don't look for miracles overnight. People who lead a constructive, healthy life often find it the hardest to get themselves back up there when it has all gone wrong because it all seems so far away and your determinatin to sort it cannot make it all change right away. But just keep going for it.

Perhaps you would find it easier to each day post tomorrow's task then report back as to how it went?
12/5/08 11:54 AM
Taku

Hey Dev,

Just checking in. Whats up? Howz-it going? Did not want you to think that I forgot about you.

Give us an update.

TAKU T.N.T.
12/6/08 3:27 PM
Buddhadev

Been walking some and taking the stairs more often just to break the intertia. Cleaned my a place up a lot this week--which has helped me be a little more organized.
12/6/08 5:07 PM
TOM666

Sadly, I thought this would be a DNP thread.
12/27/08 8:46 AM
torquemada
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at DNP.

Teh big 30 is a good wake up call. I'll be 36 in 3 weeks and am in better overall shape than I was at 26. get back on that horse, bro...
12/31/08 4:11 PM
Buddhadev

Well, if anyone wanted an update, I did some snow shovelling between the holidays--which helped break the intertia a little, but I haven't been great about working out since then, but today (so far) have been pretty good with diet. Breakfast and lunch have both been unsweeted oatmeal with berries and walnuts.

Plan for dinner is black beans, rice, steamed veggies, and broiled salmon.
6/28/09 12:38 PM
Buddhadev

I'm ttt'ing this just to remind myself of what was said here.
6/28/09 12:42 PM
Buddhadev

Edited: 06/28/09 1:22 PM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.