UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> I'm melting! I'm melting!

6/28/09 1:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
U4EA
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I finally listened to my own advice and have stopped (recreational) smoking, eating all sugar, cut out dairy and wheat (allergens for me) and nearly removed all carbs from my diet (I have more energy without them). I've lost a lot of weight and I feel a lot better. My diet is near-perfect now. In the next couple days I will start building up an exercise routine.
3/16/10 12:34 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Christenson:

No pics, BUT...I have lost about 22 lbs, I'm certain that 100% of that has been fat loss. I started really getting serious last August. All that fat loss has been since then.

Overall, I feel a lot better about myself and my life and have much more positive and healthful outlooks on things.

For the curious, my regimen hasn't honestly been anything hardcore (not enough to earn my rednamer status back in my mind): tons of walking, avoiding elevators, very moderate calisthenics.

Diet / supplements have been:

Fiber
Cal+Mag
Cod Liver Oil
B complex
Tons of H20

No fried foods
No sweets
No alcohol

Very moderate, sustainable steps thus far.
3/16/10 1:02 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the 22 lb weight loss, I'm sure you're feeling much better
3/16/10 4:10 PM
paw
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great work!
3/20/10 1:54 PM
crobrun
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/10 1:58 PM
Harry Lime's comment

If your past competing in any sports, train to be successful at life. That's the really important game

Is a great line. Helps keep you going when you have to give up stuff you enjoyed when younger.
3/20/10 9:52 PM
DGerg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad I found this thread. Between work (now back to traveling a LOT more), kids, being sick on and off since November (like walking pneumonia sick) and nagging back and shoulder injuries, I have let myself go to absolute sh*t. At 40, I'm still in better shape than a lot of people I know, But I'm not where I want or need to be (5'10 @ 205 lbs, should be about 185 with 9% BF when I feel my best).

Thanks for kicking me in the ass.

8/12/10 3:02 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/10 3:06 PM
Another update for the curious -

I've put back on about 5 lbs of that bodyweight, but I'm sure some decent % of that is muscle.

For the APFT, I need to improve my pushups, situps, and 2 mile run. All have improved dramatically (still not where I need to be on running since my body isn't really built for it).

My situp rep ct is somewhere in the stratosphere. I usually get bored before I rep out (I mostly don't actually *do* any situps in my normal workouts except a couple of days before my test). In timed settings I tend to get about 65 in 2 minutes. Pushups are around 55-60 in 2 minutes.

2 mile run is still a pathetic 19:00. I know 50 year old women who run faster than I do. :-( Still, thanks to advice from Taku, it's improving steadily.

My current strategy is HIIT + trying to watch my diet to reduce how much extra load my legs have to carry around. Problem is that I'm a bit of a foodie/gourmand. I LOVE tasty, rich, and interesting foods and LOVE cooking. I haven't been as strict on the no alcohol thing either (I LOVE good beer/wine). :-(
5/20/13 8:46 PM
Buddhadev

For those who'd like an update on what the ensuing years have brought me:

When this thread started:

Late 2008: Couch potato shape, 190#, very little strength (30 pushups would have been a herculean effort), and running a mile would have made me puke.

Summer/Fall 2009: Still about 190#, but stronger and better cardio.

Winter 2010: down to 180#, very, very good muscular endurance (75 pushups) and decent/OK cardio (2 miles in 17:00 flat)

Spring 2011: Down to 160#, not quite as strong. AWESOME cardio (15 min 2mi time and could easily run 10 mi without stopping). Started to get lazy again sadly :-(

Winter 2011: Laziness killed me. Ballooned up to 200#(!) and cardio became pathetic again (even finishing 2 mile run became hard). OK muscular endurance though (100 free squats and 60 pushups without stopping). Hovered around this and 190-200# in 2012 and early 2013.

***NOW***

Down to 188# yesterday morning. Can do about 60 pushups and run 2mi in about 1800 :-( Probably right around 25% bodyfat. :-(

I can barely do ONE pull-up! (underhand, kipping).

This is DO or DIE. I'm sick of being fat. I'm sick of losing fat and watching it come back. I'm sick of not being able to enjoy physical hobbies. I want to get back into BJJ. I want to rock climb. I want to snowboard. I want hot "gym bunny"/"pilates goddess" chicks to notice me!

No matter how long it takes, I WILL do the following:

-- Get down to 12% bf OR LESS and STAY THERE!
-- Get my 2mi time down to 15 min
-- 80+ pushups
-- At least 12 pullups; More if I can progress!
-- I'm 34, but deep down, I still believe I can learn how to cartwheel and do back flips! I'll make myself as strong, slim, and flexible as I need to be for this to happen!
-- do single leg "pistol" squats for reps

My obstacles:

-- Beer
-- late nights on the internet
-- stupid squabbling family that likes to put me in the middle and stress me out
-- sugar-laden "girly" coffee drinks
-- shin splints
-- eating out (dates)

None of my problems is insurmountable. I have it pretty good compared to a lot of people. I WILL make this happen. Will blog about my progress in the coming weeks and post the links here. At least once a week, there will be SOMETHING about my progress I've logged online. If I fail or fall off the wagon, I'll post that too (www.buddhadev.com).
5/21/13 2:55 AM
Leigh
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd hate to have the ability to get fat. I'd be 300lbs by now. Stay disciplined, fren Phone Post
5/21/13 6:12 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  I'd hate to have the ability to get fat. I'd be 300lbs by now. Stay disciplined, fren Phone Post

It's in the post, Leigh ;-)

5/21/13 10:12 AM
paw
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR Buddha!

5/23/13 12:44 PM
vermonter
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went through the same cycles homie. Intermittent Fasting (specifically, one meal a day) changed everything for me. I stay relatively lean, i stay in better shape for longer even when I lapse in motivation, and everything is easier. And yes, this is despite maybe 5 dates a week. We are seemingly in a similar life situation.

Do this, it works.
5/23/13 6:09 PM
Buddhadev

vermonter - I went through the same cycles homie. Intermittent Fasting (specifically, one meal a day) changed everything for me. I stay relatively lean, i stay in better shape for longer even when I lapse in motivation, and everything is easier. And yes, this is despite maybe 5 dates a week. We are seemingly in a similar life situation.

Do this, it works.

Doug, is that like that "warrior diet" business that made the rounds at t-mag years ago?

In the past, I *have* often felt really good after 48-72 hours fasts.
5/24/13 8:38 AM
vermonter
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Perhaps partially. Ori had weird little quirks that go beyond just one meal a day IIRC, but essentially sure.

Other folks do eating windows, which i did as well to ease into it, but ultimately found that my appetite was such that one meal a day is right for me. I'm still around 190, since it's not like I'm at some huge loss for calories.

I don't know if i'd recommend 2 or 3 day fasts, especially if you're dating (your breath alone would drive them off), but if you find some method of going periods without eating then go for it. For me, it's one meal each day. I eat around 4, just after I work out. It's that simple.
5/24/13 5:55 PM
Buddhadev

Edited: 05/24/13 11:38 PM
^^^Thanks! It might be a challenge for me to not get hungry during the day, but if I find that I can't stick to anything else, I'll try it.

My diet lately has been getting a lot cleaner (have ended my two beers with dinner habit). Dinner has often been completely vegetarian (last night was oven-roasted brussel sprouts, onions, mushrooms, zucchinni, & tomato with hummus). Haven't had a soda in about a year I think (unless it was just plain club soda). Also minimizing grain and processed meat (thankfully found nitrate-free bacon at Whole Foods).

Desserts have, sadly, still been kicking my butt, and it might be a challenge to stay beer and wine-free on the weekends.

---------------------------------------------------
This was Wednesday's workout, for the curious:

Early AM:
60/120 sprint/walk intervals x 12

PM:
- Pullup negatives 1 x 12, slow as possible

Circuit x 6, consisting of...
1 x 8 squat thrusts
1 x 12 spiderman pushup
1 x 24 4-count lunge
1 x 12 v-up***

Will probably do a LSD run Saturday morning of about 4 miles give or take and then do some weights that afternoon.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.