UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Saw the "Fake" Asia in concert Guthrie Govan- OMG!

11/15/08 1:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nostradumbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! So I got some comp tickets to see "Asia Featuring John Payne" at the Canyon in Agoura (20-25 minutes from Hollywood without traffic) last night. John Payne assumed the role of bass player and singer in the early 90s. He somehow got rights to the name "Asia" and seems like a real tool.

The "fake" Asia (this line-up has no original members) consists of a good unheard of guy on keyboards (his solo and playing on all the tunes was great), Jay Schellen (from Hurricane) on drums, John Payne on bass and vocals and Guthrie Govan on guitar.

John Payne sounds like every othe rock singer. His voice totally reminds me of the guy that sings St. Elmo's Fire (I kept waiting fro them to play that song).

Anyway, the highlight of the show was Guthrie Govan. I knew that guy was good, but he was beyond good. I remember seeing him as an upcoming talent in a guitar magazine a long time ago (Guitar Player or something).

This guy is one of the most amazing guitarists ever (and I am very critical of guitar players). Everything he played was perfect and he spiced up the otherwise boring newer songs and really added something to the old hits. Every one of his solos were amazing. And he played little cool tunes in between songs, like the Simpsons and South Park.

When introduced, John Payne said Guthrie doesn't drive, can ride a bicycle, can't swim (and maybe something else)- and it seems like all he's done is play guitar his entire life. He looks like Ian Anderson with a worse grill. Definite traces of Buckethead here, but I'd have to say this guy's playing is more entertaining. He did an acoustic guitar solo that was way cool (I think part of it was an al DiMeola tune- good stuff). This was easily the best free concert of the week. LOL.

Hopefully someone will post some of this show on youtube....
11/15/08 4:31 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in the heat of the moment....
11/16/08 10:50 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guthrie's videos on youtube are some of the coolest guitar playing I've seen/heard.
11/19/08 8:28 AM
jonpall

Guthrie God Govan. Technically, he might be the best ever. He plays with lots of feel, too. He also seems to be a very likable guy. His music is not everyone's cup of tea, though.
11/24/08 2:21 AM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/08 2:22 AM
Guthrie is definitely god.

I was going to that show but I'm in Taiwan for the next 2 months. http://threemonthsintaiwan.blogspot.com

I've been playing with the unheard of keyboard player Erik Norlander and Jay Schellen in the band Rocket Scientists for the past year or so. Really cool guys. It is hilarious hearing the stories they tell about Guthrie (how much he drinks, can't drive, has a Masters Degree in English from Cambridge, etc).

I've been lucky to meet Guthrie at the last two NAMM shows at the Corford Amp booth. Really, REALLY nice guy and just the sickest guitar player out there hands down. He's got it all: insane chops, amazing phrasing, sick improvisational skilss and a great pocket. Not too many people have all of those things.

I asked Jay Schellen (drummer) who was the most amazing musician that he's played with, and he said Guthrie was the best musician that he had ever played with in over 25 years.

My friends went to the show and said it was great. Wish I could have gone.
11/27/08 7:41 AM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/27/08 7:41 AM
ha ha

my friend who went to that show just mailed me a copy of my cd with Guthrie signing it saying "Taiwan indeed! Worst, Excuse, Ever! :) Cheers, Guthrie"

too funny

11/28/08 2:06 AM
Nostradumbass

That's way cool, jman. Thanks for sharing the stories.

I remember you posting something about the Rocket Scientists a while back and gave one of the songs a listen, but tuned out and dismissed it before the keyboard intro had ended. My bad. I think my ADD kicked in prematurely that day.

During the show I saw, Jay accompanied Erik on his keyboard solo and it was awesome. I wish I had a recording of that... I searched youtube and came up empty...

It must be nice to be in the company and on the same level as all of those great players. Right on!
11/28/08 9:20 AM
jman

Yeah Erik does that solo every show, its pretty cool. I had to ask him a couple times when I first heard him play it, "what the hell was that you were doing there?". He is planning on releasing a DVD from the last Rocket Scientists tour we did and that will include the keyboard solo I'm sure. I think it's the same solo he has done for many years.

I was nervous as hell playing with those guys the first time (I think I put that in the post before I joined them) but after a rehearsal it was like, "ok, I can hang with these guys". Not that I'm better or really worse, but it was cool to be playing with guys who pushed you and also pointed out your mistakes.

Now Guthrie...that guy is on a completely different level. There was a plan this winter to do an Asia/Rocket Scientist tour in Europe, but that fell through. That would have been a trip watching Guthrie play every night.

Supposedly all Guthrie does is smoke cigaretts, drink beer and practice guitar. He doesn't even know how to drive, lol. Jay was also saying that Guthrie only had one shirt that he wears onstage. He never changes it. They said it was so gross that they ended up just buying him a new shirt and giving it to him so he would have another shirt to wear.

Funny guy.
11/28/08 10:51 AM
Extendo
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"They said it was so gross that they ended up just buying him a new shirt and giving it to him so he would have another shirt to wear."

I think he wears the same shirt in all his youtube vids as well and it does literally appear to be rotting off of him.
11/28/08 2:58 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman! Hey, are you going to be back in the states for NAMM this year? Working the Line6 booth?If you are we should get together.

11/28/08 10:14 PM
jman

I should be back on January 15 but don't go back to work until January 19. I told them to get me a badge so I think that I'll still be going. I'll find out more info later. Please remind us and post on the board, it would be cool to have a 2009 NAMM get together with any of the Soundground people who would like to geek out on music and MMA.

Funny last time all we talked about was MMA, lol. I guess we needed a break from the music overload.

It would be great to see you, Iron Man, moke and anyone else who can show up. What would be badass is to find out where Guthrie will be playing at night after the NAMM shows(besides the Cornford Booth) and see if we can get on the guest list. I'll have to check on that.
11/29/08 1:22 AM
sreiter

i'll be at namm
11/29/08 3:38 AM
Racer X

*Thread hijack complete*

I'm shooting for three to four days down south. Depends who's going with me. My finisher was going to go with me, but she has a new boyfriend,I have a new girlfriend, and somehow I doubt us sharing a room goes over well with either of them.

8/4/09 10:45 PM
Nostradumbass

Edited: 08/10/09 2:33 AM
I was watching the news today and they showed the free upcoming concerts in the park (most of which are usually worthless).... Anyway, to my surprise:WARNER CENTER THIS SUNDAY- fake Asia plays for FREE!!Asia, Featuring John PayneLed by John Payne, the band performs familiar tunes along with songs from their latest CD release. There is plenty of room for a family picnic before, after, or during the show at the Lou Bredlow Pavilion.818.704.1358http://www.valleycultural.org8/9/09

I went to the show tonight(sunday) and Guthrie Govan has been replaced by Mitch Perry. I was bummed.

I saw the real Asia last month on the Yes tour (How doing double-duty and they definitely get the nod this time).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.