UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Training your whole life?

1/28/11 4:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still train and get to the gym 5-6 days a week, though I now just do the elliptical and swim laps and swim underwater. In the Summer I ride my road bike. As you get older, you might be able to do some things with pretty high intensity, if not the same things you did in your youth which require higher agility. Just keep training in what you can and emphasize consistency and frequency.

My MA has stuck with me, most notably the FMA training, so if you haven't investigated FMA, that's a good idea, imo.

$0.02
2/16/11 5:13 PM
Stronghold
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am over 40 and still do some mixed MA. I prefer working on takedowns and groundwork to getting hit. Honestly, the reflexes do drop when you get older and standing there getting hit sux so it's nice to train in ways to respond to strikes.
2/17/11 3:42 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a pretty good thread and I want to encourge people to keep at it.

So here's another concept or two.

Everyone says 'don't quit, keep training into your 40s and 50s' but few people talk about 'how'.

IMO, it's important to have a sport or two, no matter what it is that will help you provide a 'reason' to keep working out. I've seen 'gym rats' eventually get bored and quit and often they'll pack on the pounds to make up for all the years of denial.

The other thing is to be willing and able to change sports as you get older. I started out with weight training moved to martial arts and then skiing and jogging 10K races. That's what we call 'cross training' back in the day.

But I'm saying be able to change your sport also. So after doing organized MA, I got into FMA, then Bowie knife and BJJ, and then basically cut way back on MA and did cycling and now swimming as my sports. I still do some weight training to keep improving in those sports and not bodybuilding or Martial Arts.

My main emphasis now is to actually lose weight, even excess muscle weight. I think after the 50s and 60s it's better to be lighter, while still strong and agile. Guys who are still trying to maintain 18" arms at age 50 are being kind of foolish, imo. (still better than quitting).

So don't be like some pro athletes and quit working out or quit doing your sport on an amateur or even personal level when you retire.

HTH

2/19/11 11:03 AM
Stronghold
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, try to keep at it. I cycle, walk, run, lift weights, etc. When I finally got back on the mat after a long lay off, I did pretty well but of course I was able to push myself harder than my body could really handle. No surprises there. You cannot push yourself as hard as others trying to armbar you do. But, compared to the other guys my age, I was flying.
2/20/11 9:06 PM
pcuzz
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/11 9:06 PM
I am 48 and have been training for 27 years. Still train 3 days a week in MMA, altho I have been sidelined for last 6 months with shoulder issues. As you age you have to pick your training partners carefully, I dont get onto the mats anymore with the hardcases like I did when I was one of them. I spar with older people, small people, etc. Works out really well at our club since some people dont want to get beat up and they know I have the control not to injure them.
2/20/11 9:18 PM
Stronghold

Right... after a certain point, you won't be getting any more hardass, but your technique can still improve. Like, I'd like to get another strip on my BB before that becomes impossible, but without a huge commitment of time and pain, it won't happen. We'll see how my current round of injuries play out but I think I've done what I needed to already. Being a single Dad 90% of the time isn't helping either.
1/21/12 12:13 AM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Z

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.