UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Sports Hernias

11/16/08 3:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deniability
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The hernias are in my groin area, on both sides. I would like to get into better shape, but every time I set out to run or lift significant weight, the pain from the hernias is pretty bad. Some people have told me that they sell belts to put around the area but the location of the hernias makes it difficult. Surgery is not an option as I wont have heath insurance for at least 6 months, and then wont be able to actually take off of work to get them taken care of.

Does anyone have any suggestions? When I work out or even just stand up for long periods of time they physically bulge out. Is this condition dangerous? Someone told me the could "break" or "snap" and cause internal bleeding?

Thanks in advance.
11/16/08 6:25 PM
maui
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be very carefull in your training. Can you push the hernia back inside? if not it may become stragulated which could be a big problem

I had a hernia repaired three weeks ago and will return to training this week, be carefull
12/20/08 8:21 PM
Worth

I had a hernia ten years and they fixed it arthroscopically and then stapled it rather than cutting and stitching it. The next day I was dancing, not fighting at that time. No pain, very fast recovery.
2/12/09 6:36 PM
wizbang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So if I had a sports hernia, the pain would not reduce as I run and get warmer right?

My pain is in the exact area of a sports hernia, I think. About 3 inches above my dick towards the left side, waaay lower abs?

Anyhow, I kind of felt mild pain on Wednesday morining. I had done BJJ on Tueaday afternoon but don't recall injuring the area.

When I went to jog Wednesday night the first step hurt quite a bit but I kept going and it seemed to loosen up and the pain subsided........until later at night.

Same thing today (Thursday), felt much better than it had all day from about the middle of my run on.

Would this lead you to believe that it's less likely that I have a sports hernia and more likely just have a strain of some kind? I realize nobody can know for sure on the internet I'm just speaking in general terms.
2/26/09 8:21 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wizbang - So if I had a sports hernia, the pain would not reduce as I run and get warmer right?

My pain is in the exact area of a sports hernia, I think. About 3 inches above my dick towards the left side, waaay lower abs?

Anyhow, I kind of felt mild pain on Wednesday morining. I had done BJJ on Tueaday afternoon but don't recall injuring the area.

When I went to jog Wednesday night the first step hurt quite a bit but I kept going and it seemed to loosen up and the pain subsided........until later at night.

Same thing today (Thursday), felt much better than it had all day from about the middle of my run on.

Would this lead you to believe that it's less likely that I have a sports hernia and more likely just have a strain of some kind? I realize nobody can know for sure on the internet I'm just speaking in general terms.

I had laparoscopic inguinal surgery several years ago. Mine was lower than my cock, just barely. The defect was in my inguinal canal. I don't know what you mean by "sports" hernia, but I blew mine back out from lifting heavy shit. I had this as a kid and didnt realize what it was. The pain always subsided the next day.

Anyways, if you cannot push your guts back inside (which is instant relief), you're risking your intestines being strangulated and going necrotic. Unfortunately it just gets worse by day and you'll likely need surgery.

Go see a doc and don't read the internet horror stories. I freaked myself out for nothing reading internet bullshit.
2/27/09 11:11 PM
wizbang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha.

Typing your symptoms, ANY symptoms, into google is a horrible horrible idea. Definately more so if you have any part of you that is hypochondriac (sp?)
3/8/09 4:37 PM
chooy721

Hernias can be dangerous. They are dangerous if they become incarcerated. That is if a piece of bowel gets sttuck in the abdominal wall and then the blood supply of that piece of bowel is "choked off" then you are in a emergency situation.

If you cannot "reduce" your hernia - if the small bowel cannot be pushed back into your abdominal cavity - you need to get it checked out soon. If you are experiencing a lot of pain in the hernia area, then you need to get it checked out. If you have severe nausea and vomiting and pain in the associated area you need to get it checked out.

Hernia needs to be repaired by a general surgeon. Go see one when you get your insurance as soon as you can.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.