UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> your nation's olympic team dream roster?

11/17/08 6:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yusul
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/08 9:37 AM

i haven't been following it as closely, but i hear there is are amazing d on minn and nashville (webster? burns).

but aside from that, here's who i think should make it (need to edit itn to add)

goal: luongo, giguere, brodeur

d: mike green, phineauf, campbell(i'll have to look up rest)

f: crosby, briere, perry, gezlaf (sp? dude on anaheim), toews, lecavalier, thorton (maybe marleau), gionta, st. louis, heatley, kariya, sharp.
11/21/08 3:30 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gionta is American buddy
11/21/08 10:35 PM
yusul
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

d'oh! just looked him up.
11/22/08 3:14 AM
Steamfitter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This team is loaded.

Team Canada:

CENTRE - Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Craig McTavish, Mike Krushelnyski

LW - Ryan Smyth, Craig Simpson, Dave Semenko, Martin Gelinas

RW - Glenn Anderson, Dave Hunter, Kelly Buchburger, Dave Brown

D - Paul Coffey, Kevin Lowe, Charlie Huddy, Craig Muni, Jeff Beukeboom, Marty McSorley

G - Grant Fuhr, Andy Moog
11/23/08 9:37 AM
yusul

well at least you didn't put steve smith in. we would have lost to the russians for sure.
11/23/08 11:32 AM
Steamfitter

He cost the Oilers a Stanley cup with that boneheaded play.
11/28/08 2:59 PM
Steamfitter

I made a mistake choosing Ryan Smyth. I should have kept it old school. Any suggestions?
11/28/08 8:21 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd take out McSorley, might take a selfish penalty for an illegal stick...or better yet, break his stick over someones head.

Didn't Adam graves play for the Oil?
11/28/08 11:01 PM
Steamfitter

good call. I forgot about gravey.

Adam Graves replaces Ryan Smyth.

goeb you need McSorley to ensure that Gretz doesn't get roughed up. I think my roster has a good balance of scoring and toughness.

With the 4 guys below you know team Canada won't get roughed up by those chicken swedes. you can be sure no one will take liberties with Gretzky, Anderson, Simpson or Messier.

McSorley

Dave Brown

Beukeboom

Buchburger
12/6/08 8:21 PM
MrColdCock
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steamfitter, that teams needs Kenny Linsman and although Moog was my favorite goalie during the 80's, Ranford is a better choice.

That team is missing a lot of Smi(y)ths.

I think you need some more scoring. Wasn't Jimmy Carson a dual citizen? He would score about 150 floater goals taking passes from Gretzky and Coffee on the PP.
12/7/08 9:20 AM
yusul

i'm surprised you'd choose moog over ranford.
12/7/08 11:59 AM
Steamfitter

I disagree with ranford being a better choice over Moog. I watched both guys play in Edmonton and I have to say that Moog was just a little better than Ranford. That's just my opinion, man.

Jimmy Carson doesn't have any grit. There is plenty of goal scoring with Simpson, Anderson, Gretz and Mess.

The rink rat is a great player but there is enough grit on that roster.

Steve Smith should be stricken from the history of the NHL. Ryan came too late to deserve to play with these legendary players. Ryan has done jack shit  this year. Lowe was right to let him go.
1/16/09 10:49 PM
CRBMoney14

breiere, perry, kariya and sharp dont belong anywhere near tema canada
1/17/09 5:30 AM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with CRB
1/18/09 10:16 PM
yusul

Edited: 01/18/09 10:27 PM
aside from the fact that edmonton won the cup with ranford, and not moog (who is amazing),

crb, i give you that perry shouldn't be there upon consideration:

briere is pretty damn good and fast; please name the 4 right wingers to take his place.

kariya scored around 15 points in 11 games (is he injured?). i can't think of too many left wingers i'd have above him, unless you move some centres to left wing.

sharp is about top 10 in goal scoring.

st. louis looks like he's picking things up stats wise, but he really sucked at the olympics. along with á turtle paced pronger, redden etc.

i'll probalby get flamed for saying this but i wasn't impressed with iginla at the olympics (not talking nhl; he's a great player but maybe adds as much chemistry as tkachuck did for the us team). i remember lecavalier looking a bit lost too. nash might have been the worst forward at the last olympics and ironically doan didn't look too bad. i'd rather put on perry than doan though

would probably add burns and bouwmeister and maybe to the defense list, although boyle's defensive coverage never blew me away.

right now, jeff carter is doing great, staal as well for centre. tanguay is someone who always gets overlooked for some reason as well.
1/18/09 11:01 PM
CRBMoney14

Briere is soft, he isnt one of the top 20 canadian forwards let alone top 13.

Kariya wasnt ther in 06 and has gotten worse and older since. I like him but hes not an elite player.

Sharp is a one year wonder, might get some consideration if he can continue his play next year. But Cheechoo scored a lot of goals with an elite playmaker, he doesnt belong on the team either.

Are you seriously suggesting Nash, Lecavalier or Iginla shouldnt be on the team?

Iginlas always been known as a character guy, I dont know where you got that hes a bad chemistry guy.

Saying that Tanguay needs a look and only being able to name 3 defenseman( all offensive d-men) shows that you probably dont watch a lot of hockey
1/19/09 1:31 PM
yusul

Edited: 01/19/09 2:45 PM
crb, actually, i don't watch as much as i used to watch.

although he isn't was he was before stats back me up on kariya. cheechoo might belong; i'll take who is hot right now rather than just their past record. that was the mistake of the last team. (i.e. sitting out crosby and staal).

imo, it's better to have lines that are used to playing with eachother than people who've never played together. the time to gel is very short.

also, you haven't named either 4 left wingers you'd rather have over him, or 4 right you'd have over briere. unless you are shifting centres.

yes briere's soft, but that's never stopped the czechs from winning gold, which i believe is the objective. i've seen him play in buffalo and he's got incredible speed and good on ice vision. and other players like thorton are pretty tough; there is always toughness on team canada.

are you suggesting nash should be on? did you actually watch the last olympics? at that level, the euros and their grandmothers were running around him.

no, lecavalier looked decent but not like a superstar at the last olympics, if you look at my pics, he was on there.

and if you are talking defensive defensemen, who would you suggest? pronger? i haven't heard any of your picks.

i've seen shea webber now, and phineuf, and you really think they are anything other than the complete package? they hit, go into corners, and cover their zones. and yes they have offense. if that's your criteria for O-minded d, then yes three are.

burns on minnesota is a minus, but the clips i've seen looked good.

only mike green and campbell on the list are pretty offensive minded on my list so far, but they both have mobility and speed, which is needed on a bigger ice surface. i liked boumeister as well, but i haven't seen him play this year.

i've seen tanguay play in calgary and colorado, and his stats were pretty good. i've seen him play live, and he's always a scoring threat. if you think shane doan deserves to be on there more than tanguay, well, there's a difference of opinion.
1/19/09 4:16 PM
CRBMoney14

Cheechoo and KAriya dont belong in the conversation. Either do Tanguay or Briere.

Nash didnt play great las olympics. That was a while ago but the main problem with that team was they couldnt break a trap and lacked puck moving d-men(Niedermayer and Jovo were hurt)

Nash has lit it up in international competion since, hes one of Canadas top 6 forwards.

PRonger is a lock for the team, hes the best d-men in hte league imo, and I hate the guy.

I watch Phaneuf play about 20 times a year. Hes not the complete package, he is terrible defensively. However, he does belong on this team because of his ability on the powerplay and his hitting.

Doan doesnt belong either imo.

Heres my team, obviously some centers have to play wing when you have 8 or 9 elite centers.

Iginla Crosby Heatley
Nash Thornton Getzlaf
Mike Richards Lecavalier Carter
Morrow Sakic Staal
Toews
(Could go many directions with 4th line, could get grinders in Lucic, Doan, Morrow, Smyth. Or more skilled with Sakic, Toews, Savard, maybe even Tavares)

Pronger Weber
Bouwmeester Niedermayer(might retire)
Phaneuf Burns
Green( maybe a shut down guy like Mitchell or Regehr on small ice, also maybe Keith or Boyle)

Luongo
Brodeur
Price

The 3 goalies are pretty much locks unless an injury or Price cant maintain his performance.
1/19/09 4:17 PM
CRBMoney14

Also I think Mike Babcock deserves the head-coaching job, ID also like to see them have a camp in the summer, sort of like the World Juniors. To build some chemistry
1/29/09 2:17 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are having a camp in August, in Calgary.
1/29/09 2:22 PM
Steamfitter

Spankenstyne -  They are having a camp in August, in Calgary.

The coaching staff better keep the players away from cowboys. they could catch them some bad aids.
2/16/09 5:04 PM
CRBMoney14

Pierre MCguire is picking his team on TSN tonight, the over/under on how many times he'll say monster is at 15

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.