UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> A New Breed

11/18/08 9:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/18/08 9:38 AM

Over the past year or two I've met a new breed of martial artist. It's actually something I've come to terms with and even think is good.

It's the guy who trains:

Striking, clinch and ground - mindset - strength and conditioning - psychology "and weapons" - BUT will never carry a weapon.

This has become the norm. They want firearms for home defense and stick, knife and pepper spray for home defense or incidental use.

I used to think "If you train, why wouldn't you carry...???" Then I went on this "To each his own" kick... Then I started to think "dang" I leave the house with my gun, my wallet, my phone, my keys, my sun glasses, my OC... Now I see it kinda like "The more you have, the more you have to worry about..."

Carrying a weapon used to be a priority. Now it just is what it is. Or maybe it isn't what it isn't...???

Demi

www.DemiBarbito.com
11/19/08 7:52 AM
New2MMA
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what I am becoming. I used to train under PFS, so have some exposure with knife techniques. When the PFS coach stopped teaching, I started training MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai. I have a renewed interest in the weapons and defensive tactics and want to pursue them now. I'd love to hear more about what you do, I suppose it would be a lot easier to go to your website to read before asking general questions.
11/24/08 11:28 PM
OnDaMat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm one of those guys. Here in Australia we are very common because you can't carry weapons around. Even if we could I doubt I would because people here are more inclined to brawl than shoot each other and I would feel weird carrying a weapon in public.

But this is why I love FMA, because it gives you the tools to turn almost anything into a weapon. One of my training buddies KO'd someone with a textbook!

Interesting topic
11/30/08 6:43 PM
OnDaMat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Woah! It would be hilarious for people jumping someone only to be getting stabbed left and right with a piece of wood from an envelope! worst splinter ever!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.