UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> WOW - i just got better

11/18/08 1:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We all know there are peaks and valleys to playing

even though I've been playing 30+ years, I really wanted to take it to the next level - learn theory, take lessons to correct bad habits i had built up over 30 years of being "self taught"

I've been taking lessons for about a year, and playing 6-8 hours a day, everyday -

there were pieces i just play even though i've been trying (not really practicing) for 25 years (like the ascending, sliding, double pull off riff in the beginning of "I know a little"

now i can pull it off (not pun intended) no problem -

i guess practice does make perfect - it just takes some of us practicing more then others
11/18/08 8:24 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool...what is "I know a little" for reference?
11/18/08 8:27 PM
SlatstheFist
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do u find 6-8 hours/day practice...im lucky to get that many hours/week right now
11/18/08 10:36 PM
sreiter

Edited: 11/18/08 10:39 PM
Shootozen - cool...what is "I know a little" for reference?

i've had the whole solo down (well enough to pass) for years, just couldnt get the the run starting at the :23 mark right -

just outta now where i decided to play it and it came out like butter

11/18/08 10:57 PM
sreiter

Edited: 11/19/08 3:56 PM
i've been too injured to workout for the past few years

no cardio, no nothing -

i'm single - no kids

i work from 7-3

come home, couch potato out from 4-11 or 12

i ALWAYS have my guitar in my hands/on my chest

i PRACTICE -

i run shit loads of scales w/ a metronome, chromatic runs up and down the neck, play chords and inversions up and down the neck, vibrato - hammer on and pull off, i go up and down the neck hitting a note above and bending to pitch with each finger so i can bend with JUST my index finger

i'll do guitar "aerobics" different fingering exercises

then maybe learn new shit like 6th(s) and 3rd(s) double stops or the caged system (trying to move my fingers int barre chords that are like the "C" shape

and then i fuck around and been learning sounds note for note (like red house, call me the breeze, call it stormy monday, and just starting to fuck around with the sky is crying and for your life (led zep))

also i'll go back to songs i've know forever (like whiskey rock a roller or needle and the spoon and tighten them up and learn parts that i didnt know)

remembering licks note fo note is tough for me -

for example, lets say i spend 2-3 hours per night memorizing a measure to a riff - sometimes, it'll take me 2 weeks to memorize it.

then i learn the next measure - then i play them both - and so on

it could take a few months until i remember the solo note for note

dicky betts solo in stormy monday is 28 measures long - probably took me 3 months to commit to memory
11/18/08 11:09 PM
sreiter

the thing that make st weird for me is he's moving down the neck with his index finger while pulling off up the neck

so on the "E" string, he play 5th fret with index and plays the note (A), then pulls off from 8 to 7 to 5, then move index finger to 6th fret, plays the note there (A#), and pulls off from 9 to 8 to 6

he slides up 4 times until he does a turn around

i just could never get the timing right and play as fast as he does
11/19/08 4:57 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man, I feel old.

Nice work Sreiter, thats a tricky little bastard!
11/19/08 9:54 PM
sreiter

Edited: 11/19/08 9:55 PM
thanks man

btw - yeah, weird all the great music the "kids" just dont know about - lol
11/20/08 7:01 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DasBeaver - 

Oh man, I feel old.

Nice work Sreiter, thats a tricky little bastard!

Ha!...no worries, I recognize it...just didn't know the name-

very cool-
11/21/08 1:40 PM
El Maquina

congrats!
11/21/08 2:59 PM
sreiter

thanks

just kinda weird to actually see the jump happen - i dont usually notice it

like 2 weeks ago, it was still off
11/21/08 3:51 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think thats why I get stuck and plateau so often, I have a lot of trouble learning shit note for note. I can sit down and figure it out, but to actually commit it to memory is my weakness. I don't think I can actually play anything 'perfectly' in that sense.

Thats why I was a crappy guitar teacher. Kids would ask me to teach them 'Mary had a little lamb' and I'd need to hear it. Then I'd show it to them then say, but you don't need to play it exactly like that. He might be hitting these two strings and playing this run, but the chord he's playing is a 9th. Get that chord and the rhythm down and you'll play the song well enough to fool all the kids on your block!

I was met everytime with a blank stare.

It must be me, eh?
11/21/08 8:09 PM
sreiter

hope this helps

11/21/08 8:10 PM
sreiter

i dont see the 9th thought ?????

lolololololo
11/23/08 2:13 PM
DasBeaver

Haha, Nice one fucker!
12/5/08 2:27 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been incrementally recording myself so I can see the progress.  Man, the oldest ones are downright embarrassing.
12/5/08 6:00 PM
sreiter

Edited: 12/05/08 6:00 PM
cool

it's weird (but very cool)

i just made a jump like in one day i am now able to pretty much go to the right spot and can jam with every commercial that comes on tv.

same thing with the radio - been listen to led zep radio on sirius and i'm either right in, or can find where to be in within a few tries - (granted, it's either in the key of E,A,G,C, 99% of the time)

i can also hear my bends way better - i ALWAYS had problems bending to pitch (bending on a acoustic for 30 years) now, i can bend to pitch at will, whether it's .5,1,1.5, or 2 full tones

i can bend at least 1 tone, or tone and a half with every finger (index finger is toughest because you dont have the other fingers to use as support)

and i dont have to use my ring finger in place of my pinky -(before, my pinky wasnt strong or coordinated enough)
12/6/08 11:10 AM
alpo

^ I have the opposite problem.. I never use my ringfinger unless I absolutely have to.  When I first started playing, a couple people said to really make sure that I use my pinky and use it often.. to not get in the habit of using my ringfinger as a crutch.  So I did.  But, at some point, I just started using my pinky more because it was more coordinated.  My ring finger got left in the dust and now it's hardly even calloused.

I just realized that "ring finger" and "pinky" are really stupid words.
12/6/08 9:09 PM
sreiter

I just realized that "ring finger" and "pinky" are really stupid words.

lololo
12/9/08 11:44 PM
Thelonious

Edited: 12/09/08 11:45 PM
Sreiter I hear you. It's weird how it works and I guess it never stops.

I thought I had peaked five years ago and just somewhat recently had an almost epiphany like experience watching a little african kid playing in a church on youtube. I've completely revamped my approach in the last year or so and have probably improved more in that time period since I have since I was a teenager.

One thing I have noticed is that taking time off is really important to development. If I am gigging or jamming a lot, I get stuck into comfortable repetition. If I take a break and just teach, when I come back there is a freshness to everything for awhile, and I have found that is where I expand my vocabulary the most.
12/10/08 3:30 PM
sreiter

Edited: 12/10/08 3:32 PM
cool -

on a different note- the church story reminded me of robert randholf

he learned pedal steel by listening to a player in church - now he's one of the top guys in the world - and basically, still a kid
12/11/08 5:57 AM
jonpall

I'm getting better, too :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.