UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> Haka Question.

11/19/08 9:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nathan@aristeia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do the other teams sit there and watch them perform this? Why wouldn't you just keep doing your warm-up drills and so-on.
11/20/08 10:55 AM
LordSeano
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because its considered highly disrespectful to do anything but stand there and take it.

I remember when Richard Cockerill (I think) went right up to them nose to nose and the whole of New Zealand had babies about it.

Personally I think its pretty unfair to allow one team to have a massive pump up session which is what it is and not the other team
11/20/08 7:27 PM
nathan@aristeia

That's what I'm thinking as well about it being unfair. Maybe it is something they should so the in the change room.
11/21/08 7:50 PM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LordSeano - Because its considered highly disrespectful to do anything but stand there and take it.

I remember when Richard Cockerill (I think) went right up to them nose to nose and the whole of New Zealand had babies about it.

Personally I think its pretty unfair to allow one team to have a massive pump up session which is what it is and not the other team

I recall that game.

Ever seen the All Blacks play Tonga or another team like them?? They both do their own respective pregame chant...  Pretty fucking awesome if I might say.
11/22/08 1:26 AM
Squatdog

LordSeano - Because its considered highly disrespectful to do anything but stand there and take it.

Ummmm...no?

Norm Hewitt advanced eyeball-to-eyeball to Cockerill in that incident just like Steve McDowell did against the Irish in a test during the 80s.
11/22/08 2:26 AM
Squatdog

11/23/08 1:55 AM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squatdog - 

var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/8eGCsEQ15L4&hl=en&fs=1", "postVideo-24179681-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-24179681"); .

That's the one!

fucking awesome!
11/23/08 10:31 AM
LordSeano
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol NZ always cry when their haka gets 'disrespected'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/7717628.stm
11/23/08 2:40 PM
Squatdog

LOL...so turning your back on the Haka isn't disrespectful on your planet?

The Australians advanced to eyeball the haka from pointblank range in the final and the NZ players thought it was great.
11/24/08 3:44 AM
LordSeano

The opposing team should be able to react to it exactly how they want to.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4771025a1823.html

Lol at you proving my point by getting all upset about them turning their backs on the haka
11/24/08 4:08 AM
Squatdog

Turning your back on someone is a sign of disrespect any way you cut it, even moreso during something that is one of rugby's most enduring and cherished tradiitions going back a hundred years.
11/24/08 5:36 AM
LordSeano

Thats my point - there is an assumption that you must repsect it and no matter what another team does NZ often gets butthurt about it.

I agree you shouldn't intentionally disrespect any cultural tradition but the expectation is always that NZ do the haka and then the teams play.

Look at how they reacted after Wales wanted to sing Land of My Fathers after the haka. Tantrums. I actually liked Wales reaction to it this time round.
11/24/08 10:09 AM
droc

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear
I agree with Seano. There was all sorts of uproar when the Paddys advanced on the Haka. The NZ Rugby community was up in arms.

DROC
11/24/08 10:21 PM
Squatdog

Edited: 11/24/08 10:23 PM
LordSeano - Thats my point - there is an assumption that you must repsect it and no matter what another team does NZ often gets butthurt about it. I agree you shouldn't intentionally disrespect any cultural tradition but the expectation is always that NZ do the haka and then the teams play. Look at how they reacted after Wales wanted to sing Land of My Fathers after the haka. Tantrums. I actually liked Wales reaction to it this time round.

LOL...you are full of shit.

Australia sing Waltzing Matilda after the Haka at every home game and no-one complains. Wales wanted to sing the national anthem after the Haka which is a total breach of pre-match protocol.

Here's what the NZ League team had to say about the Australians getting in their face during the Haka:

""At least they faced us," said Kiwi star Benji Marshall, referring to England's tactic of turning their backs on the haka.

"I think it was great. It was great for TV, it pumped us all up that little bit extra.

"It didn't spill into the game. Everyone played the final in a good spirit and we came away with a win."

Young hooker Issac Luke loved the moment almost as much as celebrating his country's first World Cup victory.

"The haka is a challenge and they challenged us back," said the 21-year-old Hawera-born rake.

"The Wolfman (David Williams) was right in my face.

"They started walking forward so me and Adam Blair started marching and all the boys got up in their faces.

"It was awesome."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/2326914

LOL!

11/29/08 8:52 AM
Arodjohns
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know where I can find these games online?

Unfortunately, the wench at the cable company is far below competent and I can't seem to get any kind of European channel that shows the games.

The bitch of it is that it doesn't even have to be in English! I'd just be happy with being able to watch a game lol.
11/30/08 3:19 PM
BaldTony
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squat, do you guys learn the Haka at school?
11/30/08 4:00 PM
Squatdog

Not unless you're in a Maori Culture group.
12/10/08 11:01 AM
IronMonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find it strage to see white guys in the NZ team do the haka. I would think it would be strange as well for the NZ players of Tongan, Samoan or Fiji descent to do the haka since it's a Maori tradition?
12/11/08 5:19 AM
Squatdog

Not at all.

It's a New Zealand sporting tradition ahead of anything else.
5/20/09 10:52 AM
Spartan1017

I like when Fiji, and the All Blacks get down and go head to head with their pump up sessions.

8/20/10 3:02 PM
seg
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had never seen a rugby match until about eight years ago I was flipping channels and Fox Sports was carrying an All Black game (I didn't even know what an All Black was).

I just so happened to be flipping through right at the start of the Haka, I found it so weird I watched the rest of it and then stayed with the channel and watched the game even though I had no idea what was goin on.

I've been a fan of union and league ever since, although it is tough to get games in the States.  I used to get a fair number of games until Setanta went bankrupt.  Now all I get is one NRL game a week throught Comcast.  BBC America used to carry one Six Nations game a week when that was going on.

Really sucks, I used to get Currie Cup, Super 14, Tri-Nations and everything. 
9/7/10 5:44 PM
seg
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VANISM - ^ Geez!

SOMEONE has go to do coverage over there surely?

I can't find anything on my cable, and now that American football has started my one NRL game a week is being superseded by college football. 

Hopefully BBC America will carry some Six Nations like they did last year, but I really miss the Super 14 and Tri-Nations.
3/4/11 6:13 AM
HAZ_10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYIUdVNFgU

This is the best response to the haka, Wales team before autumn international. Greatest atmosphere i've ever experienced live, shame about the final score
8/28/11 5:11 AM
Enamoratu
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LMAO@ the All Blacks haka last night. How many actual Maori were in the group? Three? Four?

Nothing quite like a bunch of white dudes doing a tribal dance.

8/30/11 8:58 PM
Squatdog

Basically, the Haka goes back to the All Blacks European tour in 1905 and has been a cherished institution ever since.

Most of the Island nations copied the All Blacks and do their own local version.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.