UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Keepin' the Pedos on the streets!

11/19/08 6:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm actually kinda disgusted with myself yet my massive ego is making it feel a little better.

Won 2, count 'um, 2 probation violations today.

Unfortunately, both of the perps were pedos. I wanted to kick them in the balls. Actually, I kinda wanted to cunt punt the prosecutor for doing such a shitty job. I mean, jesus christ, take these cases a little more seriously.

It kinda pissed me off at the prosecutor because she obviously wasn't prepared. She knew that I was the opposing attorney and we have worked together enough that she knows I am bringing my A game to a hearing. When you have a convicted pedo volunteering at a summer camp for the blind, you need to make sure you slam dunk that case! Horrible job, seriously horrible. Not prepared, not familiar with facts, called witnesses who locked up my case. Won it as the Judge dismissed after the states evidence.
11/19/08 11:12 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"When you have a convicted pedo volunteering at a summer camp for the blind, you need to make sure you slam dunk that case!"

Seriously?
11/21/08 2:09 PM
pm1964
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yikes!
11/21/08 3:38 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jbapk - seriously
11/24/08 5:02 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude...

I just want to say, THANK YOU. Not that you got the pedo's off (pardon the pun) but that you actually felt bad about it. That's what I don't normally see from a defense attorney and this has been numerous conversations on the legal ground about it. I'm glad you felt bad about it but I do understand you are doing your job as well.
11/24/08 6:03 PM
bflex

I wouldn't say I feel bad, let me clarify:

I celebrate my victories when the system works and somebody who didn't do it gets off. I get irritated when the system doesn't work and somebody who isn't quite as guilty as the state seems to think gets slamed. I am now irritated that a slam dunk case for the state went this way becuase this guy is a fucking creap and needs to be raped in prison. The system did and didn't work. It worked becuase the state didn't prove their case. However, they should have. That is the State Attorney's fault. She should be fired. Seriously.
11/24/08 6:07 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, but, you still feel bad to a point.

YOU KNOW the fucker should be in prison and that's why it irritates you. I take it this is a case you don't mind losing as much?
11/25/08 8:11 AM
Fake Pie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So how did you win anyhow? No kids at the camp I take it? Was it really a violation?
11/25/08 9:07 AM
bflex

Dojosensei - I wouldn't have minded losing.

Fake Pie - The State called the wrong witnesses. There were kids at the camp, but since this was a web of not for profit organizations, the State called the president of the boards for the WRONG NON-PROFIT!

The evidence they showed tended to establish that my client sat on the board of directors that, among other things, gave money to a non-profit organization that provided services for children. According to the state's evidence, he was 3 steps away from providing direct services to children.
11/25/08 10:11 AM
Fake Pie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And in reality he was working directly with them? Idiots.
11/25/08 12:42 PM
bflex

"And in reality he was working directly with them?"

Yeap.
11/25/08 1:38 PM
Dojosensei

Fuck, thanks for showing some humanity in defense attorneys. Admit it or not, it bothered you to represent that fucker and that's why you wouldn't have minded losing. I can respect that.
11/25/08 3:12 PM
goku

*sends thread to the bar*
11/26/08 9:56 AM
Fake Pie

"*sends thread to the bar*"

I agree, the prosecutor should be disciplined by the bar for not doing her job.
11/26/08 4:30 PM
bflex

"I agree, the prosecutor should be disciplined by the bar for not doing her job."

That would set a bad precedent. Disciplining every dumbass prosecutor for fucking up a case would create a very heavy caseload for the bar.

There are exceptions, example Shaz, but the vast majority of prosecutors suck. They aren't the best and the brightest.
12/1/08 1:24 PM
sym

Edited: 12/01/08 1:24 PM
bflex - "... There are exceptions, example Shaz, but the vast majority of prosecutors suck. They aren't the best and the brightest.

Typical government agency.  From what I have seen, the breakdown is this:

3% - Competent to do the job, believes in the job, and is motivated.

20% - Very motivated, but too stupid to tie their own shoes.

30% - Competent to do the job, but is making half as much $$$ as in the private sector because they are lazy and will not do anything.

47% - Stupid and lazy (these are usually the ones who get promotions to management).

My wife has worked for the Dept. of Social Services for 10 years, so I have been able to watch this in action.  It definitely decreases your motivation to give them your tax $$$.

12/2/08 12:29 AM
Shaz

I'd have to disagree with that breakdown. Having worked in two prosecutor's office (still in one), I think that the majority of ADA's are diligent and hard working and want to try cases and do the right thing. Of course there are slackers and people who are just there to have a job, and true those tend to be the ones who last the longest. The problem is that the hard workers are identified and are given more and more work to do, until eventually they get burned out. I'm in an office of about 165 ADA's, my bureau has 16 or so. I'd say that I would trust about half to take one of my important cases and try it. Of the remaining half, some I wouldn't even consider, the others might give it the old college try but just don't have the skills. Remember, for most ADA's, this is their first "real" job, especially if they went right from high school to college to law school, it's their first career, and a lot of it is learning as you go. I've tried 30 or so cases, and I still learn something new every time.

-Shaz!
12/2/08 1:04 AM
bflex

Brother Bukkake - "Don't most private defense attorneys start in the DA?"

No. Some do, but not that many. Those who sold thier soul tend to suck. Some are good. Most aren't.

Shaz - "I've tried 30 or so cases, and I still learn something new every time."

Agree 100%. I learn something new every day in court. When I know it all, it is time to retire.

I would disagree with you on the split. I've never delt with you regarding a case, but if you are 1/4 as good as you appear to be, you are damn good. At any rate, there are those DA's who are "true believers." However, some of them still suck. Just by being stupid. There are those who just need a job and can't get one anywhere else. Then there are those who believe in what they do and are good attorneys. That is about 1%.

I've practiced in a few jurisdictions now. I have not been impressed by many of my opponents.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.