UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> What do you feed your boys/girls

11/20/08 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ceelopez
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/25/08 1:50 PM

So yeah what do you guys feed your pets, I feed my big boy some kirkland food mix with egg, chicken broth and some chunky wetfood... but my wife fucked up and bought Atta boy! this month so now I have to wait till next pay check to get him back to his old food....
11/20/08 10:38 PM
Total JJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if by children you mean my dogs, I feed a mix of Natures Variety Instinct (kibble) and Natures Variety Pre-packaged Raw. I also supplement with some Raw Meaty Bones a couple times a week.
11/20/08 10:45 PM
smileythai

Children? Oh My!!

Really wish I had mod powers for threads like these...   lol

11/20/08 11:09 PM
Ceelopez
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey now, my dogs are my kids as well, and since this is the petground children here automatically refers to your pets...
11/20/08 11:13 PM
smileythai

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anthropomorphism

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/anthropomorphism
11/22/08 12:37 AM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

small thawed rats
11/24/08 4:03 PM
Dmclat
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your boys/girls....wow.

didn't realize dogs and kids were one of the same.
11/25/08 1:04 AM
Ceelopez

Holy shit! Its not a big deal. Boys/Girls DOGs, I know for you guys its DOMESTIC PETS but seriously you guys act like its fucking sinning or some shit. Get over it.
11/25/08 1:21 AM
smileythai

What, it's too difficult for you to use appropriate references?

11/25/08 1:42 AM
smileythai

But to answer the original question...

I used to feed Innova exclusively but have since transitioned to completely raw.

Next pup will be fed mainly chicken and rabbit carcasses and a combination of green tripe and menhaden fish meal/oil(whenever I find a good supplier) for supplementation, as well as various meaty bones and organ tissue as occasional treats.

11/25/08 2:47 AM
Ceelopez

No its not hard, Ill play by the rules then.... gah! anyway, you using the BARF diet, How is it working for you?
11/25/08 3:06 AM
smileythai

Edited: 11/25/08 3:06 AM

No complaints other then food costs.

11/25/08 11:31 AM
Ceelopez

How much is the cost, I was thinking of trying it out but opted not too because I hear a lot about the cost and my akita is doing fine with the kibble meatball mix
11/25/08 12:21 PM
smileythai

Depends on your area and the grades you're feeding. Obviously organic and free range items sold at boutique shops is going to be more expensive then that which is more commercially available. There's also the expense of ordering specialty items online if they're unavailable in your area...ie: the menhaden fish meal I've been unable to find forever.

There's also nutritional concerns as well. Meaning you have to make sure the dog's needs are adequately balanced if you're going to feed BARF vs whole carcasses. BARF people tend to feed 'clean' food sources such as chickens from the neighborhood grocer that rob the dog of vitamin rich blood, organ tissue, stomach contents, and even feathers for roughage.

All of that needs to be taken into consideration. But if you don't live in an ultra urban setting(ie: NYC) and do a bit of homework you should be alright because there's usually a farm or processing plant within reach that will sell to you at prices lower than retail, and in some cases even give you a bulk discount.

Don't forget your hunters, either. Always a good source of game meats, especially those involved in wildlife management. Can sometimes buy a whole deer carcass for less than the price of a tailgate party's worth of steaks from the grocer.
11/25/08 12:47 PM
Ceelopez

o.O all power to you smiley if this is what you do for your dogs. I am basically a beginner trying to learn as much as I can, Training, Breeds, Food.. I screwed around so much with my past dogs not training them and going berserk.
6/11/09 4:00 PM
JeremyA

California Natural for my Ridgeback
6/11/09 5:01 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

i was using Innova and my dogs crap were sloppy, to rich I think. Went back to Canidae and the crap is solid, they changed their ingredients, went cheaper on meat but still a good mid grade feed and my dogs do better on it then Innova.

the higher end kibble are out of control prices: Orijen is like 30lbs/$60, lol fk that

Canidae 35lbs/$32 ingredients are fine

I'd go Kirklands Chicken/Rice $19/40lbs at Cotsco, its same as Diamond Naturasl but different bag but its has Beet Pulp in it.
6/11/09 6:24 PM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just switched to Natural Balance duck and potato LID formula since 2 of our dogs have allergies. its been the best food for them allergy wise and i just feed a couple performance and digestive supplements to the dog we are putting in weight pull this year. they are looking pretty good.

heres a pic from this weekend, 3 weeks on the new food and 2 months on the supplements...

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh339/mzevoteck/pit%20bull%20palooza%20and%20wp%20practice/DSC_0178.jpg

i had the problem with the sloppy craps too on innova and to some degree on canidae. i always used the canidae chicken and rice or lamb and rice though, better than the new all life stages formula.

i've seen a couple really healthy looking dogs on the kirkland feed too.
6/18/09 12:57 PM
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've been feeding an all raw diet of meats, bones and organs to my German Shepherds for about 2 years or so. my 7 month old pup, who i got when he was 7 weeks, has never had kibble from me. the others are rescues and fosters, so they've had kibble before.

find sales and good suppliers and feeding an all raw diet is about the same as feeding a high end kibble. walmart has a lot of good deals on that stuff.
6/21/09 12:40 PM
Dmclat

Jason, could you be more specific, what would you feed them on an average day?

I am intersted in learning more from someone that has first hand experience with feeding raw.

What sort of variety if any do you strive for?

Any supplements?
6/22/09 9:35 AM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there are a couple of good yahoo groups if you do a search on how to feed as well as buying co-ops to bring the cost down. there are a couple different models of raw that you can follow - prey model, 80-10-10, etc. many people supplement with things like salmon oil.
6/22/09 9:55 AM
Dmclat

I work with a guy who feeds raw, he is in with the local butchers and some big box store butchers and gets left over scraps from them as well as cow/pig organs and chicken necks/parts. He dices them up and freezes in portions.

He doesn't supplement with anything and really doesn't seem like he put too much thought into it, though his boxer's coat is very clean and the dog looks good (to an untrained eye at least)
6/22/09 10:45 AM
MikeZev

well doing the leftover scraps thing is a little tougher to get right.prey model you're just feeding cracasses, whole chicken, whole rabbit etc.

if you but your own meat a good place to start is 80-10-10 80% meat, 10% organ, 10% bone. percentages are done by weight.
6/24/09 1:15 AM
TLM378
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the barf diet I use for my mixed beagle and my pit bull. They've been on it about a month.

http://leerburg.com/diet2.htm
6/24/09 10:31 AM
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/09 10:33 AM
Dmclat, sorry for the late reply.Like others said, I recommend joing yahoo groups like this one: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/ Tons of info. I follow the prey model and feed 80-10-10 like MikeZev. My dogs that are maintaining a certain weight get 2% of their ideal body weight/day. Those that need to gain get 2 - 3% of the weight they should be.I feed all kinds of poultry, pork necks, cheek meat, cow tongue, ox tails, mackerel, sardines, salmon, pig's feet & ears, rabbit, liver, kidneys, tripe, raw eggs.The only supplement I will add is salmon oil if I am not feeding fish in the meal. If one of my rescue dogs is malnourished, I will add a vitamin B complex to help with nutrient absorption. But other than that, I don't supplement. Over supplementation can be pretty bad for your animal. You're overloading the system with too much of one element that may compete with other nutrients. No glucosamine & chondroitin, except for special cases. All the G & C they need is in the bones, joints and cartilage of the meal. No Vit. C, because dogs metabolize their own Vit. C, assuming they're healthy.I don't add any vegetables, fruits or grains. Unlike the leerburg diet above. But I did pick up some tips from that article when I was starting out. Tom Lonsdale, DVM is a good author to read on the subject. His second book, "Work Wonders" is pretty good for beginners and old timers.
-edited ingredient list

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.