UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> What do you feed your boys/girls

6/24/09 10:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why did it remove all of the line breaks when i edited my post? weird. just one big paragraph now.
6/24/09 11:10 AM
TLM378
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just add in a little bit of pulverized veggies to mimic what they'd get from eating the stomach from their prey in the wild. Just a little bit
6/26/09 10:23 AM
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TLM378 - I just add in a little bit of pulverized veggies to mimic what they'd get from eating the stomach from their prey in the wild. Just a little bit

And this can be a dividing line between raw feeders. This, mimicking of the stomach contents. I tend to side with David Mech, who is an expert on the biology and behavior of the gray wolf. (Check out his books and website here: www.davemech.org/books.html ). In his book, "Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation", he addressed this issue. The gray wolves will actually shake out the contents of the stomachs and intestines before consuming them. Of course residual partially digested vegetation remains, but it would not contribute a significant part of the diet.

To more accurately mimic what the wolf eats when it comes to the stomach contents, I prefer to buy raw "green" tripe. It stinks, but they love it.
6/26/09 10:04 PM
TLM378
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where do you buy the raw green tripe? Is that the tripe in the can? It looks like vomit. lol

I have only found the bleached tripe at the grocery store.
6/27/09 4:37 PM
jasonclk

The green tripe you get in the can from the pet store has been cooked. Usually it's cooked in the can after it's sealed.

Depending on where you live, you can get it from a local butcher or meat locker. But, they'll probably just point you to a barrel out back and laugh at you while you wade through all the guts to find the tripe. Bring a tarp, rubber gloves, big scissors, a wheel barrel and a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. You'll never get the smell off of any of these things, so plan accordingly.

If you're in the midwest, you can order it from http://mypetcarnivore.com/product_list.html (among other products). They drive through the midwest and stop at certain locations. You meet them there and pay for what you ordered online. Buying in bulk is the best.

Additionally, if you google "green tripe" or "raw green tripe" you should find a company that will ship to you.
6/27/09 6:03 PM
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.martinsk9formula.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,51/
6/28/09 1:02 AM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i feed my girl(APBT) Chicken soup for dog lovers..(cheesy name) same maker as TOTW. 2.5 cups a day and she's 35lbs at 11 months.
7/4/09 1:24 AM
jasonclk

Chicken soup for dog lovers is one of the better kibbles out there, but it isn't what dogs can thrive on. Feed your dogs, cats, ferrets, domesticated carnivores, etc. what ever processed/extruded feed or kibble you want. It doesn't matter. It will never be better than an all raw diet of meat, bones, and organs for them; bottom line.

Are you feeding your dog a high end kibble? You can also feed them a species appropriate all raw diet for the same price and they will be happier and more fit because of it. Not to mention that they evolved to eat a diet that doesn't consist of pellets made out of carbs.
6/28/10 11:42 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 10/16/11 4:25 PM
I feed my Corso MDF Raw and also will give her a bowl of raw chicken backs and necks several times a year (I mix Urban Wolf in dehydrated mix slop with that). She also gets Omega 3-6-9 oil, kelp, and Ester C 650mg. My Boston gets Natures Variety raw bison.

I would never feed my dog kibble. 
7/9/10 4:30 PM
ShadoKhan
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wellness Large Breed Puppy (he's only 7 months ol, but close to 70 pounds) :)

American Bulldog cross (mother was a GS/Lab/boxer mix and father was AB)
10/16/11 4:05 PM
rls99

Wellness here as well. Just switched over to wellness adult. 7 mo, 74 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback (big for a girl, but her ribs are still easily visible). When she gets her full growth, I'll probably switch over to a raw diet, but want to hold off on the higher protein content for now.
10/16/11 4:17 PM
BigEyedFish

Just picked up some good scores at my local market. They blow out meat that is expiring in a day or two in a freezer. Picked up about 5 lbs of nice steaks for next to nothing. Also got several packs of beef ribs which I would never use as a staple, but as a treat meal every now and then. She loves them and when a dog works like this to get her dinner, she is good and tired at the end of the day.

10/16/11 4:22 PM
BigEyedFish

people are talking about green tripe.  It is excellent to feed a couple - few times a week.  Very rich in enzymes and EFAs.  

Got some lamb heads for my dog not too long ago.  She made short work of them:

When I feed ground pre made raw I always supplement kelp and Ester C and also pureed veggies (magic bullet is invaluable for this)

When she fixes her own breakfast:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.