UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Thanksgiving 2008

11/23/08 3:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any interesting food thoughts or plans?
11/23/08 8:23 AM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm smoking a couple of turkeys.  And fatties (sausage).  And sweet potatoes.  I'm trying to fill up my smoker. 

I'm also making this just because I'm bored with the cranberry log.  

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cranberry-Apricot-Compote-15698

11/23/08 9:01 PM
screwtop wine
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I smoked my first turkey for thanksgiving. Brined it overnight, then smoked it over cherry wood chunks. Of course, for Canucks, thanksgiving was a month ago.
11/23/08 9:24 PM
B Sharps
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I try to mix it up sometimes. This year I am thinking of making a southern style dinner. Here is my proposed menu.

Smoked Ribs and sausages
Mashed sweet potatoes
Collard greens
Mac and Cheese
Cole Slaw
Green Beans
Biscuits
Corn Bread

Desert will be Pumpkin and Pecan Pies
11/24/08 1:02 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, as I did last year, I'm doing a potluck with some buddies. My contribution is my new signature dish: savory vegetable pie.

I suck at writing recipes, but here goes:

Yields two 9"pies

Ingredients:

2 medium sized bell peppers (one green, one red), diced, cores removed

8 oz sliced mushrooms (brown or white work equally well)

8 oz diced carrots (I used baby carrots)

1 medium sized zucchini, diced

6 cloves minced garlic

1 red onion, diced

1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

4 pie shells (8" or 9") – (either bake your own or choose one that doesn't have added sugar since this is a savory pie)

Canola oil as needed

Corn starch as needed

Salt as needed

Instructions

First begin "blind baking" two of the pie shells: wrap the shells (they should be in a pie plate already) in aluminum foil and place dry rice on top of the foil (enough to fill the shell). Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 7 minutes. If after 7 minutes, they're too soft done, put them back in for another 3. They probably shouldn't be COMPLETELY baked since they'll go back in the oven again later.

In a wok, a skillet, or a frying pan, sauté vegetables over medium heat in the canola oil. Note that all of your vegetables won't fit at once, so add a pinch (that's about a 1/2 tsp) of salt to each "shift". Don't overdo it with the oil...each "shift" will only need about 1 tablespoon or possibly less. A good general indicator of when the vegetables are "done" is that they'll darken in color.

As each "shift" finishes, set it aside in either a pot or a metal mixing bowl. Don't put it in anything plastic because it'll stay hot and you don't want the vessel to melt.

After your vegetables are all sautéed, mix them up while stirring in the cheese the whole time. If the cheese makes the mixture become too oily, mix in a tablespoon or two of cornstarch (I ended up using one tablespoon). After mixing, add the mixtures to the baked shells. The amount of vegetables should be exactly enough to fill both shells evenly. Take the two unbaked shells and apply them to the tops of the baked shells. Apply four 1 &1/2 inch slits to the tops of each pie. Line the edges of the pies with aluminum foil and place them in the broiler rack of the oven on LOW (to bake the tops) for 10-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

Remove pies from oven. Let them sit for 15 minutes. Then slice and serve.
11/25/08 10:38 AM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay I made that compote already and I really like it.  If you do the next day sammich of turkey, dressing, with a wheel off the cranberry sauce log as your condiment then you might benefit from that recipe.  Plus it's the easiest thing you can make for Thanksgiving.  Well, except for opening that can of cranberry sauce.  Unless you don't do the hole in the bottom of the can trick in which case it becomes the hardest.  
11/26/08 6:02 PM
Buddhadev

Edited: 11/26/08 6:04 PM
Anyone attempting a fire-hazard , err...I mean, a deep fried turkey this year?  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.