UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> The Wild Chef

11/24/08 1:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This has to be my new favourite show. It's a French-Canadian chef named Martin Picard and hereally does get a little wild.

If you have a chance try and catch the Courier De Bois show.

Here is the blurb from it:

"Martin and Hugue discover the life of the « coureurs-des-bois », fur traders in the early days of Quebec. As part of their adventure, they sleep in a tent and cook outside in a snowstorm. They also eat something they’ve never had before : muskrat ! The trip ends with a beautiful hare civet cooked on an open fire."

Check the link for some awesome recipes like: Hare StewMuskrat, Spare Ribs,Partridge Grilled Cheese, Pemmican.

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=112692
11/27/08 1:37 PM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New episode tomorrow night at 9:30 EST, on the Food Network.
12/1/08 11:23 AM
Extendo

Has anyone checked out this fantastic show yet?

The second episode was fois gras. The crazy bastard convinced the guys at the force-feeding station to pump the geese full of maple syrup to try and flavour the liver.

He was successful.
12/1/08 12:45 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Extendo - Has anyone checked out this fantastic show yet?

The second episode was fois gras. The crazy bastard convinced the guys at the force-feeding station to pump the geese full of maple syrup to try and flavour the liver.

He was successful.

I cannot comprehend the true Canadianess of that idea. (i bet it did taste good though)
12/1/08 1:03 PM
Extendo

shibbytastic - I cannot comprehend the true Canadianess of that idea. (i bet it did taste good though)

Ha ha, he boxed up a bunch of the maple fois gras with some croutons, and champagne and sent it to a bunch of his chef friends for tasting, as well as a prominent American food-critic from the States.

The food critic was in pure bliss and declared "we simply do not have anything close to this in the States". Dude looked like he was creaming his trousers.
12/1/08 1:24 PM
Extendo

Here is a video interview Marin Picard, "The Wild Chef"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnrCKY_1jUA
12/4/08 2:38 PM
Extendo

Tomorrow's episode is wild goose...

"Martin and Hugue are off to Isle-aux-Grues, a paradise for goose hunting in Quebec. Before they even get there, their truck breaks down and all they have left is their oven. Once there, they collect berries, gather bulrushes and make a drink using sumac flowers. Then, it’s time to hunt and cook. Ever inventive, the two friends build a smokehouse out of plastic wrap and smoke goose, beans and even themselves! They re-invent cipaille, a traditional Quebec meat pie made with wild goose, and make a beautiful clay-crusted goose."
12/5/08 8:02 AM
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll have to try and catch this tonight.
12/5/08 9:22 AM
Extendo

I can't wait. But if you miss it tonight, they will replay it all week.
12/5/08 10:46 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"a drink using sumac flowers"

Sumac drink is really really good. It tastes a bit like lemonade, very refreshing and has a nice red color.
12/5/08 10:49 AM
Extendo

I agree, I always make Sumac tea when I am camping!

Here is the recipe for his Vokda Sumac Martini...

Ingredients:
Vodka Sumac Martini

* Vodka
* 6 Sumac clusters
* 7 oz Maple syrup
* 4 1/2 cups water

Directions:
Vodka Sumac Martini

1. Place the clusters in a caldron.
2. Add the maple syrup and water, without submerging the clusters with liquid.
3. Bring to a boil, and strain out the juice.
4. In a shaker, combine 2 portions of sumac juice per vodka portion. Add ice. Shake well. Ready to serve.
12/8/08 2:50 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit, I knew something like this would happen sooner or later. My buddy and I had an idea few years ago about a cooking show that centered on wild game and fish that we would have caught during the first part of the show.

Of course, since we have little or no actual skill and talent, our show would have been us cooking one withered looking grouse with a can of keystone and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup while doing shots of Mr. Boston vodka.
12/9/08 11:35 AM
Extendo

lol @ "our show would have been us cooking one withered looking grouse with a can of keystone and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup while doing shots of Mr. Boston vodka"

Here is Bourdain in his tv show, visiting Martin Picard at his restauraunt, Au Pied de Cochen (with the pigs feet).

Bourdain is a huge fan and also writes the English intro to his book of the same name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2HxJoCD54
12/9/08 7:39 PM
Tys

Well that sucks, I don't get this channel. I only get The Food Network, and I don't think they let Canadians put their shows on there.
12/11/08 9:11 AM
junon
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh its that guy!?!

im already a fan of the show without haven seen an episode.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.