UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> reccomend a shotgun for $500 or less

11/24/08 2:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Double Deuce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am wanting to get a shotgun for home defense. This is my budget.
11/24/08 8:00 PM
The Double Deuce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/08 8:25 PM
okay great, where do I buy it? I have no dealers in my area. Are their places online to get guns?
11/25/08 7:41 PM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer the Mossberg 590A1 myself. That's the military version of the mossberg 500. It was the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test for shotguns. I htink mine was around $379 for the parkerized ghost ring sight version. Although if I had it to do over again, I'd get the bead sight.

The navy and army both still use them even though they've officially switched to a benelli semi-auto.

You see a lot of remingtons in police cars though.

Bascially, either a remington 870 or a mossberg 500 variant pump is a damned good gun that law enforcement and military have used for years. You should be able to pick up either for well under $500.
11/25/08 9:48 PM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sold those when they first came out. They had a lot of problems cycleing reliably. In general, you have a lot more problems with semi-auto shotugns than pumps.

For home defense, I'd recommend a pump. It seems to work for the military and law enforcement....
11/30/08 6:24 AM
Skpotamus

But what semi auto are they carrying? Are they carrying the mossberg? Or are they carrying a much higher dollar model? Like a remington or benelli?

I have no doubt that some depts carry semi autos. Far more carry pumps though.

Here is a review by John Farnham of the 930 in one of his shotgun classes
<
19 Nov 07

Mossberg M930, Autoloading Shotgun:

During an Urban Rifle/Shotgun Course in OH last weekend, a student brought a brand-new copy of Mossberg's M930 Shotgun. It is the first one I've had a chance to actually use and observe on a range.

Bottom line: The 930 is unusable for our purposes.

Problems became apparent immediately as the student attempted to manipulate the gun. Once loaded, the entire magazine tube must be completely voided and then subsequently recharged all over again, in order to return the shotgun to Transport Mode (magazine tube charged, hammer down on an empty chamber, manual safety "off," Transport Mode is often referred to as "Cruiser-Ready" ). In addition, when attempting the load the gun, it continually double-stacked, causing two rounds to be released from the magazine tube into the receiver, simultaneously.

After ten, frustrating minutes of attempting to come up with a viable handling procedure, we gave up and issued the student a Remington 870, which, of course, ran fine for the duration.

Some years ago, Mossberg produced another autoloading shotgun, dubbed the " Jungle Gun." Now long-since out of production, we had nothing but trouble with it too.

Mossberg is surely capable of producing functional shotguns, but this new 930 is utterly unsuitable for our purposes. Again, when making ostensible " police" shotguns, they need to talk with someone other than trap shooters!

/John
>
12/12/08 10:57 AM
ahyeah
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you can get a nice H&K FP6 for right around $500

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.