UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Do I care if dog is pit?

11/25/08 12:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
blackhundred
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have a great new dog. I can train her, no big deal. But I've never had a pit. Is she a pit (signs?). What should I know, if? Is DNA testing helpful for training purposes? Now, I don't care so much, but I desire to be prepared. Any OG tips? She is 65 lbs, muscular, sweet, and ambiguous.
11/25/08 1:06 PM
blackhundred
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Help or quiver away fellas. I'm blown away.
11/25/08 1:50 PM
Ceelopez
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry can't see the pic, its blocked on my work comp.
11/25/08 4:07 PM
Dmclat
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am no pro(never had a pit, I am on my first dog now) but I don't think it matters so much, I was in the same situation with my dog when my friend dropped her off on my doorstep.

She looked very pitty but as she grew into her head she just seems like some sort of terrier mix.

I wouldn't go as far as dna testing (don't know anything about it) but I would certainly be aware of the "special needs" of a highly driven dogs and or pitbulls in specific.

If you prepare yourself through some little research you will understand the needs of pitbulls, some things IMO to be aware of with pits.

-High pain tolerance, you may not know if there is an injury so you just have to be very aware of your dogs actions.

-possible animal aggresive. Just keep an eye on it and be aware so you don't put yourselves in trouble. (I personally do not have any knowledge on how to curb this behavior).

-Pitbulls are very social animals and will require a good relationship with the handler. Make sure to spend quality time exercising and training (basic obedience at least) your dog. pits are actually much smarter than people give them credit for, so you will need to mentally challenge the dog or it will get bored/frustrated and you may end up with a problem.

I am sure there is more you should know, I did a ton of research at first but as I had hher longer I realized it wasn't a big deal and as long as I put time into her she was fine.

(there are much more knowledgeable posters on here so take my opinions with a grain of salt)

oh yeah Koehler Method, I just finished the book, I have no experience with it but I plan on implenting this form of obedience training shortly into our daily routine!
11/25/08 10:44 PM
ChokeTheFace
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is all about how you socialize them. They do not necessarily have or show more aggression than other dogs, but I do believe the only demand they have that is different to other dogs is their need for exercise. They will chew anything they can get their jaws on--strong jaws at that--if you dont give them proper exercise. And by socialize, I mean everything from other dogs to cats to people, unless of course you want the dog to be a guard dog--then its a different story. My pitbull is very sociable and has been bitten by dogs from rat terriers to other pitbulls and has never attacked back. Had he not been socialized it might have been different. Take her to a dog park and see how she acts, it takes a lot of work--especially if you do it the right way. This is a special breed, very similar to humans, imo. Almost like raising a kid.
11/25/08 11:18 PM
Caderona
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First off--pit bulls are DOGS...not some crazy, wild breed that is too hard to handle, or too much of a hassle. An old lady can probably handle a pit bull better than she can handle a poodle, which would never listen to her. In fact, our dog's dad lives with a quadriplegic lady. They are working dogs and they really have more positive qualities and characteristics than negative. Is your girl still young?? I've found the key is basically to simply not to be a shitty dog owner. Take your dog to the park! Let her meet other dogs, people, kids, cats, whatever. Like ChokeTheFace said, socialize! We got into the habit of taking our pup EVERYWHERE with us since he was wee-little, which I personally believe helped tremendously in developing the sweet temperament and nature our pit has. He just wants to kiss and snuggle with everyone he meets and has a blast playing with any other breed of dog. Give her A LOT of exercise, discipline, and TONS of love!
11/25/08 11:23 PM
MikeD

this should be called attn: MikeZev

I can't really add anything other than the pits I've been around have been good.

I wouldn't recommend it, but the college girl up the street, with the 1 yr. old APBT proves that not all need a crazy amount of exercise to stay sane. She takes hers to the dog park about 5 days a week for an hour and that's all the exercise he gets.

Whenever my dog and I see them out we always talk and her dog is always respectful, meanwhile mine in steadily trying to bite him.
11/25/08 11:37 PM
Caderona

MikeD - 
I wouldn't recommend it, but the college girl up the street, with the 1 yr. old APBT proves that not all need a crazy amount of exercise to stay sane. She takes hers to the dog park about 5 days a week for an hour and that's all the exercise he gets.

An hour for five days a week is a lot more exercise compared to what the average person may give their dog, if you think about it! I know so many people who just let their dogs in the backyard--and they consider that their exercise. So sad =(
11/26/08 12:05 AM
MikeD

That's very true.
11/26/08 9:03 AM
Dmclat
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caderona - First off--pit bulls are DOGS...

That's what I learned, I was worried about the "special needs" you hear about from the media and at first I fell into that trap worrying (I had never been around pits and my family said they were killer dogs). I soon realized they are just very smart, strong, energetic dogs.
12/1/08 10:16 AM
MikeZev
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you think she's a pit bull, then just keep in mind that there are certain personality traits that differ significantly from other dogs.

First and foremost new pit bull owners have to recognize the propensity for dog aggression. Dont be upset though, they dont need doggie friends. When you feel like you understand her and her body language a bit more lket her have some supervised interactions with other dogs. watch her tail - is it wagging, stiff, down between her legs? is she tense? be sure to separate her when she shows any aggression (stiff, showing teeth, air snapping etc)

They can be a little pushy and headstrong but are very easy dogs to train. For initial bonding/training, I suggest adoptiong NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) which means making a dog do an obedience task (sit, lay down, stay) before it gets something it wants like its dinner or getting pet.

And as people have said be mindful of the exercise they require. a tired pit bull is a happy pit bull. try biking with her, great way to get 5 miles in without killing yourself trying to keep up with her.

Do your own research on training methods and try one that you think will work with your dogs personality.

Good Luck!
12/5/08 2:07 AM
blackhundred

Thanks fellas.
12/28/08 5:18 AM
brdrchoker

I wanted a pit but my insurance on my home was going to TRIPLE!
1/5/09 12:40 PM
Dmclat

I ran into the same problem because on the paper from the pound she is a Terrier Mix, They wanted to know what kind of terrier. I said the kind that's a dog and tried to explain that its the dog handler not the dog.

I challenged the insurance company to define and prove my dog was a "pit-bull"

They backed off.....obviously (She may look a little pitty (brindle/chopped tail/50lbs) but she got a tiny little head/muzzle.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.