UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> thinking about law school

11/26/08 11:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VKX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey folks, was wondering if I could get some advice...I'm thinking about law school but not sure if I should apply yet. UGPA: ~3.4 from a top 20 undergrad; LSAT: 163. Currently working as a legal assistant in the foreclosures department of a local law group.

Personal worries: I've got 2. 1)I had a pretty bad stint in graduate school after I graduated - I left so late in the quarter that I've got a string of "F"s for courses that I didn't complete (didn't take finals). 2) One of my professors retired and at this point in time, I've only been able to pull 1 academic recommendation from a professor. I should be able to get recommendations from one of the attorneys that I work with, but I am still not sure where to go right now.

I'm trying to determine if I should even bother applying to law school at this point in time, or if I should just throw in the towel (e.g. join the French Foreign Legion, enter a monastery & sell all my worldly possessions, etc etc.). I could probably re-seat the LSAT and I could probably take some classes at the local university to maybe get a recommendation...again, not sure if it's worth it or not.

Any advice? I guess I'm at a cross-roads in my personal life...late 20's and not exactly where I thought I was going to be when I first graduated from undergrad. I've got friends that are finishing grad school and have kids on the way, so I'm feeling like a bit of a miserable slacker at the moment.

thanks
11/26/08 11:21 AM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most law schools don't look at grad school grades. You undergrad should carry the day at most grad schools. Recomendations don't go very far. You really don't need them. You probably won't get in a top 20 with the grad school issue, but who wants to practice big law anyway?

Side note, the Foreign Legion sounds more fun.
12/16/08 4:35 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Youtube "Law School Musical"
3/6/09 11:25 PM
alley
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apply.
3/7/09 11:45 AM
Xtina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bflex -  the Foreign Legion sounds more fun.

3/7/09 2:01 PM
seg
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think again
3/8/09 2:57 PM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only do it if you can do it for free. Way to risky to incur debt right now with the legal market being the shit that it is. Go to a worse school for free if you really want to do it.

Better yet, find something else. Try the federal government.
3/8/09 10:34 PM
seg
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You must be qualified to do something else.  To be successful as a lawyer you have to be about 90% used car salesman, but without the bitchin' camaros.

I wouldn't do it again.
3/13/09 10:54 AM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" To be successful as a lawyer you have to be about 90% used car salesman, but without the bitchin' camaros."

I have the exact opposite personality of a used car salesman. I would suck horribly at sales. Not everyone is a litigator...
3/13/09 2:59 PM
goku

i kind of disagree with the notion of avoiding law school because of the market...yes the market is shit right now, but if your options are unemployment and getting a higher degree, I would get the higher degree. Things are likely to turn up by 3 years and yes, you can get hired as a 3L as I did.
3/13/09 3:00 PM
goku

"I have the exact opposite personality of a used car salesman. I would suck horribly at sales. Not everyone is a litigator... "

not just litigators my friend...the top dogs in my corp department are very car salesman-esque
4/1/09 9:58 PM
rocklos
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if you have some car salesman traits you will be successful no matter what business your in.

they're called kiss asses
5/6/09 1:03 AM
BruceWayne23

I don't understand this mentality. At some point, you HAVE to incur debt to get ahead, do you not?

Fake Pie - Only do it if you can do it for free. Way to risky to incur debt right now with the legal market being the shit that it is. Go to a worse school for free if you really want to do it.

Better yet, find something else. Try the federal government.
5/28/09 8:10 PM
Grei
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started law school at 29, now working as a prosecutor. Before law school I worked as a bartender so it was a great decision for me, and I love my job. But I would advise: unless one of the school's you are accepted is Harvard or Michigan or Yale, go with the cheaper school. Nobody really cares where you went to law school, just if you passed the bar exam.
5/29/09 2:01 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grei - I would advise: unless one of the school's you are accepted is Harvard or Michigan or Yale, go with the cheaper school. Nobody really cares where you went to law school, just if you passed the bar exam.

Word.

Most of the better lawyers I know went to night law school or 3rd-tier schools.
5/29/09 3:07 PM
Fake Pie

Grei - I started law school at 29, now working as a prosecutor. Before law school I worked as a bartender so it was a great decision for me, and I love my job. But I would advise: unless one of the school's you are accepted is Harvard or Michigan or Yale, go with the cheaper school. Nobody really cares where you went to law school, just if you passed the bar exam.

I would strongly disagree with that if you want to work for a big law firm. If so, you need to go to a top national school or one of the 2-3 top schools for your State/Region. If you are not interested in "big law" then it doesn't matter as much.
5/31/09 9:31 PM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ true that it depends what you wish to do. i know that the big corporate firm i use won't even look at you for employment unless you are from top level / national law school.
6/1/09 6:45 AM
VKX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for all of the responses - can't believe this thread is still alive.

I'm retaking the LSAT and if I don't break 170 this time, then it's the Legion for sure. Either that, or selling meth - not sure which is more lucrative.

I've also got an offer to be an "amateur" film star, but I don't think that would go over too well with my folks.
6/1/09 5:45 PM
Subadie

When I drive past the kids, they all spit and cuss,
Because I've got a BITCHIN CAMARO and they have to ride the bus.
6/2/09 7:22 PM
VKX

turducken - Dude, 172 is the new 170.

I got your mom for 170 last night. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
6/2/09 7:53 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Pie - 
Grei - I started law school at 29, now working as a prosecutor. Before law school I worked as a bartender so it was a great decision for me, and I love my job. But I would advise: unless one of the school's you are accepted is Harvard or Michigan or Yale, go with the cheaper school. Nobody really cares where you went to law school, just if you passed the bar exam.

I would strongly disagree with that if you want to work for a big law firm. If so, you need to go to a top national school or one of the 2-3 top schools for your State/Region. If you are not interested in "big law" then it doesn't matter as much.

Going to an expensive law school banking on landing a BigLaw job is kind of a dumb idea. Even with high grades, law review, etc. there's no guarantee you're gonna land one of those plum jobs.

Plus, BigLaw ain't exactly hiring right now. 1st year start dates are being pushed back. Offers are being rescinded. It's bad.

Finally, once you get to BigLaw, chances are you will hate it. I mean, the money's good, but working 80+ hours a week for a bunch of high-powered type-A assholes isn't anyone's idea of a good time.
6/2/09 7:54 PM
The Gimp

BTW previous post not directed at anyone in particular. Fake Pie's post just made me think of this stuff.
6/3/09 1:06 AM
Xtina

The Gimp - 
I mean, the money's good, but working 80+ hours a week for a bunch of high-powered type-A assholes isn't anyone's idea of a good time.

maybe not, but what else are you really going to do with your time?
6/5/09 10:57 PM
Fake Pie

" maybe not, but what else are you really going to do with your time? "

Spoken like a good associate.
6/5/09 10:58 PM
Fake Pie

The Gimp - 
Fake Pie - 

Going to an expensive law school banking on landing a BigLaw job is kind of a dumb idea. Even with high grades, law review, etc. there's no guarantee you're gonna land one of those plum jobs.

Plus, BigLaw ain't exactly hiring right now. 1st year start dates are being pushed back. Offers are being rescinded. It's bad.

Finally, once you get to BigLaw, chances are you will hate it. I mean, the money's good, but working 80+ hours a week for a bunch of high-powered type-A assholes isn't anyone's idea of a good time.

Well, yeah if you look at my first post on this thread you will see that I pointed out how shitty the market is right now. Things used to be different though just a year ago and before. When I was interviewing as a 2L in 2006 70 some percent of my class got biglaw jobs.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.