UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Mathematics and biology

11/27/08 1:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xlurker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any body use any high-level math realting to biology? Gene sequencing etc? I'm getting a little bored proving theorems, but don't want my mathematical knowledge to go to waste. Look up fractals and romanesco broccoli. I think an interesting question is: how does the broccoli dna manifest itself in this fractal approximation? I don't want to do mathematical physics anymore, someone tell me there are exciting avenues for mathematical biology.
11/28/08 3:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
P.V.Jena
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I was a Physics and Math undergrad, now doing a Physics PhD in experimental biophysics and there's very little pure math we do. Computational physics (for example, simulating an entire virus in water) kind of thing needs a lot of math and physics. Analysis tools could be something to look into (Journal of Physical Chemistry B) for example will have papers like "Total Analysis of Multistep Kinetic Processes with Hidden Variables).

Maybe look into complex systems (that aren't very biologically relevant in the present) but could be laying down the framework for something interesting in the future, like Sante Fe Institute and collaborators?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.