UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Question for Matt

11/28/08 1:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
New2MMA
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt,

I am posting this question here as well as the JKD forum. I wasn't sure if you would see the question over there or respond to it and I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this since I do agree with your message of aliveness and many of the other things that you assert about alive MA training.

Years ago I studied FMA and JKD, as well as some small amount of Japanese Jujitsu and RBSD. Consistent with your message of aliveness, I began questioning the application of the training and the mindset that went along with the RBSD and 'tactical' stuff. I walked away from it in 2002 and began boxing and, later, BJJ. I am now a mid-level blue belt in BJJ and have been consistently training in an MMA setting consistent with that of the SBG curriculum.

I've been thinking a lot lately about going back and revisiting the old RBSD material and attempting to functionalize it. It never really left me and I remember all of it. I also have the chance to train with a really good FMA group (Sayoc) and am considering going for it. I never really lost interest in the study of self-protection (books like Gavin DeBecker and Sanford Strong's) and would like to work to come up with a functional system for SD based off of alive, MMA-type training and adding elements of FMA, RBSD (such as Krav Maga and Gracie SD material) and adding elements of 'Red Zone' and STAB, etc. I will continue to train in the performance-based arts such as BJJ and MT.

In short, my question has two parts:

1) What is the best way to work toward functionalizing the material? I think I am being overanalytical, as common sense tells me to follow the 'I' method and work to apply the material, but I feel you'd have a much greater sense of how to train it.

2) How do I balance maintaining a healthy, athletic 'mindstyle' with the study of these arts? I've alway felt a bit of a 'dark cloud' hanging over much of the culture. Although I deeply appreciate bladed weapons and the worksmanship necessary to produce a beautiful blade, I have no fallacies about carrying a spyderco and engaging in any sort of a duel, ever, with anyone. I've had knives pulled on me and ran like hell, and always will. Again, common sense tells me that my alive training experience gives me a very good idea of what works and what doesn't, but could you comment on this anyway?

Thank you (and your coaches) for any and all comments.
11/28/08 4:00 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi New2MMA,

The first thing I would suggest is a time out from training, where you spend some time alone, maybe outdoors, and contemplate why your interest in RBSD has come back. I am not suggesting any judgement here, or casting any shadows on motive. All I am saying is that you need to be perfectly clear with yourself, before you worry about the rest of it. Most people think they already have, but in my experience few actually look within that much. Try that first, and this may become a non issue.

Secondly, regards:

"1) What is the best way to work toward functionalizing the material? I think I am being overanalytical, as common sense tells me to follow the 'I' method and work to apply the material, but I feel you'd have a much greater sense of how to train it."

I would do exactly as you suggest, apply the 'I' method, drill it all alive, keep it real as well as safe (smart), and go where the evidence takes you.

"2) How do I balance maintaining a healthy, athletic 'mindstyle' with the study of these arts?"

If by these arts you mean things like Kali, or some RBSD system, I don't. I abandoned Kali a dozen or so years ago because I saw very little, if any practical application. Including the blade oriented aspects. I train the core delivery systems of stand up, clinch, and ground. Though these days my job is more that of a coach to my athletes, and my personal game is focused on BJJ because that is what I truly love.

If I were to focus on an RBSD curriculum I would take the path Luis forged with the ISR. It's simple, it has been proven highly effective, it is alive, and it is all based off of the same delivery systems I am already trained in.

Hope that helps, the contemplation part would be my best advise. And that is something nobody else can ever answer for you, even if they pretend they can.

www.straightblastgym.com
12/6/08 7:02 PM
nowaydo
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get ISR.
12/9/08 1:58 PM
oblongo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is ISR still being offered? When I go to the Web site, I see this message:

Courses, affiliation, certification and requirements are being updated to better serve our growing demands. Please stay tuned. We will be implementing new course options shortly.
12/9/08 8:39 PM
slixtr
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes ISR is still being offered. We just finished a course in Edmonton, Alberta.

If you contact Luis I am sure he could update you on everything ISR.

Cheers,

Rich
12/10/08 12:57 AM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Website is being updated for 2009 and will have all the new content including civilian courses among other things.

In the meantime if you have any questions you can post them here or e-mail me directly at luis@isrmatrix.org or luisg@onedragon.com

-Luis

www.isrmatrix.org
12/12/08 7:12 AM
Boyscout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New2mma, like you I went back to look at my old training, in my case it was my old silat training but using the 3I's like Matt note's above. I think you can train in an alive and healthy way and get real returns, using the SBGI I method way.

Lately for fun,I have been mixing my boxing, silat, old mans judo (took it up at 41) and ISR (from the dvds).

It helps also that the silat I trained in was more like greco with hits.i.e people rolled hard etc.

For me it's about having fun, for some reason I always come back to basic boxing and the I method keeps me in the game.

Love what Matt had to say about thinking about why you're training etc before you change direction.

Regards

Richard
12/13/08 7:52 PM
New2MMA
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/08 7:54 PM
Thanks Richard,

Yes, I am a little older (almost 37) and am considering integrating all of the things I've learned over the years. Now that I have a good idea of what works and what doesn't, it interests me to dissect the things I've learned over the years in JKD/FMA, Aikido and Japanese Jujitsu, and the 'RBSD' stuff (mostly Krav Maga) and see if I can functionalize them.

I did do a lot of thinking about why. I think it's really a matter of interest, and having fun. I loved those old arts, and they were just fun to train. I don't believe that my renewed interest has anything to do with fear, insecurity, or wanting to walk away from the MMA-type training because of it being too demanding or things along those lines. If anything, I want to continue training MMA, but see what elements I can add to it from the tools I've acquired over the years. Basically, take what I've learned, try integrating it, test it, see what works, hone what does, and throw away what doesn't.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.