UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Turducken - My only claim to F&WG fame

11/28/08 3:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(Originally posted on the OG, but this will be my only excuse to ever post on this forum.)

They had a crazy sale on duck. We had a turkey. Chicken is cheap. So, why not shoot for bragging rights?

I completely deboned the chicken and then the duck. The chicken went pretty smoothly, stayed totally intact. The duck... Man, those must be some hard bastards in the wild. I was putting the juji-gatame on him, trying to break the wing joint, and I swear he put up more fight than some of my sparring partners. The tendons were just so much more solid. Anyway, when the duck and chicken were just gelatinous blobs, I did the turkey, leaving the wings and drumsticks intact. That was a breeze, working on the huge bird with tons of margin.
I say breeze, but all three birds cut the hell out of my hands with little bits of broken spine and rib. My left hand is a mess of cuts. Lord knows what diseases got in my blood stream.

After that, I layed out the chicken blob, packed some stuffing in the middle, rolled it up, and skewered it closed. Then, I splayed the turkey out and covered the inside with stuffing. Duck blob on top, more stuffing, and then I balanced the chicken roll on top of the pile. I yanked the edges of the turkey back together, stretched and wrestled the bastard, and worked a few long skewers through its flesh.
When it's done, and flipped over, it looks like a regular (maybe a little bloated) turkey.

That whole process took almost two hours. Now, it's going to cook for at least 5 hours at 300f. We'll see how good it is.

Photobucket

11/28/08 3:57 PM
Willybone
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After nearly 6 hours cooking time, the thermometer finally said the birds were done. So, out of the oven and onto the carving plate. Moving it from the pan to the plate was a serious challenge. All together, the thing weighed at least 25 pounds, had no structural support from bones, and was being held together with two skewers stuck through cooked skin. But, even with the transfer, it stayed relatively intact:

The turkey split a little bit in transfer, but really not that bad. I think I can prevent that next time.
The upside to being boneless was the incredible ease of carving. Pure joy, let me tell you. It sliced up beautifully.

As for taste...
I had planned on cracking jokes about what a waste of time it was. But, I have to say, it was frickin' delicious.
So damn tasty, I couldn't believe it. I was warned the turkey would be dry; it wasn't. I was warned the duck would make everything greasy; it didn't. And the chicken was one of the most tender I've ever had.
Absolutely fantastic.
I think I might be doing this again next year, too.
11/29/08 2:50 AM
Mit
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow!!! Congratulations. That does look tasty.
11/29/08 1:22 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like quite an adventure. Congrats on pulling it off and having it tasty.
11/30/08 5:14 AM
sabrutat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks good though, mate!

Never had it, but I'll definitely be trying it come Xmas!

Cheers

Stef
11/30/08 7:27 PM
samichlaus
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks awesome! Tell me about your stuffing.
12/1/08 7:05 AM
Willybone

The stuffing is my mom's. It's cornbread, sausage, celery, onions, and rosemary.
I think next time I do it (and I'm convinced I'm going to do it again), I'm going with a few different stuffings, like maybe mom's in the turkey, cranberry in the duck, and TBA in the chicken.
12/3/08 5:29 AM
Jay-dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You sir... are an inspiration!!!!!
12/3/08 1:06 PM
MikeZev
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

impressive!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.