UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> i just don't get it

11/30/08 3:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jude099
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my resting pulse is like 85-90, 60-70 when i wake up, and i can't seem to get it lower.

i ride 12-20 miles 3+ times a week and do an hour of boxing or grappling 3 times a week, and i'm not the first to gas. but once i get my HR up and keep it up, it rarely comes down below 100 BPM for hours, and i feel racey and sometimes even short of breath.

granted, i have chronic fatigue syndrome and recurrent depression and anxiety disorder, but i don't take any meds, and i don't FEEL anxious or depressed... what am i doing wrong? how long does it take to develop real cardio? i know i don't have any physiological disease processes because i've been tested out the ass...

i just don't get it, but it's hard not to obssess about it.
12/2/08 10:38 PM
Jove
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As an experiment, try some regular meditation and / or swimming underwater regularly. Something about these activities (slowing down the breathing) tells the brain to slow down the pulse rate and blood pressure also, I think. (I don't have any hard evidence to prove these crazy ideas...) but, I do these, and have a resting pulse of ~55 bpm. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I am not a great athlete or anything.
12/3/08 10:30 AM
jude099
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've been meaning to give meditation a try... i also read OVERtraining can raise your resting hr
12/4/08 8:39 AM
androushka
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you really have ME/CFS then that's a physical condition that involves your immune-system, and over all tolerance/adaption to stress (including physical activity) being poor. Heart-rate not coming down after exercise is a typical sign of infection in healthy people, but basically just means your body is struggling to meet the increased demand on your systems. Be careful to not overstep your boundries man.
12/4/08 10:22 AM
Midleah

How's your blood pressure?
4/3/09 2:24 AM
Technician

"granted, i have chronic fatigue syndrome and recurrent depression and anxiety disorder"

You just answered your own question. Depression and anxiety disorder will make you anxious and stress you out.

You can be in great shape, but if you are not at peace with yourself/life/others/etc...you can't expect your resting heart rate to be lower. No amount of exercise will rectify this.

Try some counseling if you haven't already and practice relaxation breathing techniques.

Best of luck!
4/15/09 8:23 PM
pfsjkd
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not being a doctor or in the medical field in any way, it sounds like it could also be overtraining syndrome.  Elevated heart rate is one of the indicators of overtraining.

Your body may just not be able to handle all the physical activity you're throwing at it.  Dial it back and see what happens.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.