MotorGround >> LOTUS Exige or mustang Shelby

12/2/08 4:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheAdonis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a go fast vehicle that looks sharp:

the classic muscle car shelby GT

or

The pussy getting weekend racer Lotus exige?

Both between $50-$65k depending on trim level.

What do you guys think? Honorable mention to the new M3 or the 335i twin turbo hard top convertible.

decisions decisions. I want to narrow it down before I start dealing with douchy dealerships.
12/2/08 10:03 AM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Lotus is an exotic but I've been in one. They are far from comfortable. More of a weekend car to rip around in or to impress shallow women with.

The shelby GT, not even a consideration. Regardless of how hopped up it is I can't trust ford 'quality'. For the price why not get a late 60's mustang, do paint, interior, motor, AC, brakes, suspension. You could have a very unique car built for 50-60k. I've wanted to put a modern turbo diesel in a 60's muscle car for a while now.

Another thing you might consider is the Porsche Cayman S. Not quite as fast as the exige but more creature comforts. Also, if you don't mind used you can pick up a 911 turbo for the same price albiet a few years old. I live in the land of high $$ supercars (Vegas) and there is an '03 911 turbo AWD for 63k and only 16k miles on craigslist!

All in all out fo the choices you posted I'd personally be looking at the M3. But I like understated, fast and comfy.
12/2/08 11:23 PM
LetsTalkItOut
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Z4M 52k or Boxter S sounds like a good choice. MSRP is 55K, convertible, comfortable enough to be a daily driver, got that exotic feel, 300hp, etc.
12/5/08 4:03 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A used Z8
12/7/08 2:55 AM
Frills
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an Elise as a track toy and it is a blast.
12/7/08 10:51 AM
Mark1

lol @ slamming Ford quality in comparison to a Lotus.

Mark
12/8/08 9:44 PM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't ford vs lotus quality as much as it is ford vs just about anything. ;)
12/8/08 9:52 PM
Mark1

Ford is ranked near the top in most studies (Consumer Reports, JD Power, etc).  Some rank Ford higher than Toyota and many other Japanese mfgs.

Lotus is and has been ranked at or near the bottom of almost every quality ranking published.  That's what I found funny.

Mark
12/9/08 2:49 AM
TheAdonis

^^^interesting...

a friend of mine owns a mod shop, he told me to buy a '95 M3 and slap a super charger on that fucker after I get the engine rebuilt. i live down south, so I can find plenty of rust free ones in mint condition.

what do you guys think? modified/chipped/supercharged old school M3 built to the tits for less than $25k.
12/9/08 9:31 PM
big_slacker

Ford is ranked as average in JD power's VDS and they don't (that I can find) have the raw problems per 100 cars thing they used to. Still, I don't see ford near the top or ranked over toyota.

"For a 14th consecutive year, Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability, improving by 25 problems per 100 vehicles since 2007 to achieve a score of 120 PP100. Following in the top five rankings are Mercury, Cadillac, Toyota and Acura, respectively."

Lotus isn't even listed. And once again I'm not talking about ford vs. lotus, but rather how I don't trust ford as a brand.
12/20/08 4:01 AM
Frills
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lotus had issues with the Espirits and engine/drivetrain failures. With the Elise/Exige they are using a 4cyl toyota engine, the same that is in the celica

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.