UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Bourdain?

12/3/08 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jay-dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I just recently got into No Reservations... Love the show, anyone else a fan? Also, has anyone eaten at his restaurant in NY?
12/3/08 12:26 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read his books... watched the show... a fan. But, have not been to NY.
12/3/08 7:48 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of the best shows on TV

Les Halles is not really his restaurant, he was the head chef for a long time but no longer works there.  I have heard it is ok but nothing more than a standard brasserie.
12/3/08 11:09 PM
Jay-dog

Thanks guy... How is Kitchen Confidential Kevin?
12/4/08 1:11 AM
d0mm3r

I'm not Kevin, but Kitchen Confidential is a must-read. Go buy it now, seriously.
12/4/08 10:13 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very good book.
12/4/08 2:43 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

d0mm3r - I'm not Kevin, but Kitchen Confidential is a must-read. Go buy it now, seriously.

12/5/08 6:05 PM
ALL DAY 707

Bourdain and Zimmern are two of the best
12/5/08 8:18 PM
dunc
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zimmern chews with his mouth open
12/5/08 11:54 PM
Jay-dog

Edited: 12/05/08 11:55 PM
Malaysia and Vietnam favorite episodes so far!
12/6/08 4:03 PM
Pugilist82
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bourdain is fucking awesome. I thought he owned Les Halles.

Kitchen Confidential is a great book. He had a show of the same name. I liked it, but it didn't quite make it.
12/9/08 8:37 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just finished Kitchen Confidential the updated version.

i wanted the hard cover but its only available in paperback right now.

entertained from beginning to end.

he had a show titled "Kitchen Confidential"?

i know he had A Cook's Tour on The Food Network which was pretty much the samething as No Reservations.
12/9/08 8:41 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guy1 -  one of the best shows on TV

Les Halles is not really his restaurant, he was the head chef for a long time but no longer works there.  I have heard it is ok but nothing more than a standard brasserie.

isnt the idea of a Brasserie pretty much a higher end diner?

from what i understand its not supposed to be "fine dinning" or anything of the sort.

in his book he says its everyday food for the French working man.
12/9/08 9:18 AM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he had a show titled "Kitchen Confidential"?

There was a sit-com type show called "Kitchen Confidential" that was loosely based on him and his book of the same name. It was pretty horrid didn't last very long, four episodes, I think.
12/9/08 11:29 AM
Extendo
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's awesome. Even his fiction is great. Very Elmore Leonard-ish in the dialogue but great plot lines and character development as well.
12/9/08 5:41 PM
Izzy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

junon - 

from what i understand its not supposed to be "fine dinning" or anything of the sort.

+1
12/9/08 7:08 PM
guy1

junon - 

I would agree.  What I meant was as far as brasserie fare goes its just ok.  I didn't mean to imply that it was fine dining.
12/10/08 8:11 AM
Lou Dukes

Kevin Curtis - Read his books... watched the show... a fan.

I read all his books and love the show. I'm waiting for next season. His other show on the foodnetwork was also pretty good - A Cook's Tour.

I followed his advise while in Honolulu and went to Puka Dog and Ono Hawaian Foods. I also enjoyed some plate lunches, loco moco's, saimin and malasadas.
12/16/08 12:27 AM
Master Shredder
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bourdain show is awesome!

Zimmern show would be awesome if the host wasnt a disgusting fatass with horrible manners.
12/25/08 12:04 PM
Stu Needlehammer
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MetaDevil - he had a show titled "Kitchen Confidential"?

There was a sit-com type show called "Kitchen Confidential" that was loosely based on him and his book of the same name. It was pretty horrid didn't last very long, four episodes, I think.

It had a full season, 15 eps or so. You can find the entire thing on Hulu.com for free.
12/26/08 4:34 PM
alvo69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is, as we would say : "A Real Pissa!!"  - love his laissez-faire attitude!!
12/30/08 12:33 PM
cbgrappler

kitchen confidential is a seriously good book, would probably be in anybody's top 10
1/1/09 9:53 PM
Kevin Curtis

I'm watching the No Reservation marathon and in the Saudi episode. At the beginning he has a schtick where he is choosing where to go... one of the "contestants" is an MMA fighter (Eric Vera?) who is pushing for a visit to Thailand. Anybody know who this is?
1/7/09 4:05 AM
junon

i think the new season started yesterday.

cant find it on my usual sources though.
1/9/09 12:14 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love both no reservation and bizaar foods

bourdain is just a cool motherfucker.

i like the way zimmern describes taste and texture of food.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.