UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Gretsch guitars, good? bad? Opinions?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/3/08 1:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Howdy all.

I've decided to stop messing about and to try and learn to play guitar properly, which I've been farting about with for a while. As a sweetener, I'm gonna buy something decent once I'm competant.

I'm leaning towards a gretsch 5120 as I like the sound and the look.

Anyone have one/have experience with em?
12/3/08 2:38 PM
DasBeaver
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 5120's are great guitars for the money. I used to have a Nashville 6120 decked out with Sperzal Tuners and FilterTrons. The thing would never stay in tune, would feedback like crazy, the neck was two thin, the pickups were way too low output and tinny. I sold it and got a 5120 last year and love it. Nice warm humbuckers, decent neck, sounds great, even stays in tune. Looks cool and comes with a real Bigsby. How can you go wrong?

Not bad for a $500 guitar.
12/3/08 4:45 PM
Extendo
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love mine, but this is my first electric guitar and it has come with it's share of challenges. I really should have taken a general, try these settings course because at various points I have thought that the pickups don't work, or I'm getting too much noise coming through, or the tube in my amp is screwed, etc.

The biggest assumption I made was that when flipping the pickup selector that it would cut off the circuit to the other pickup. So at various times I would have the pickup volumes cranked and hear all this extra crackle and stuff. Turning the volume down to zero sure helped a pile.

So all of these things aren't problems at all with the guitar, just a learning curve I wasn't expecting.

The downside of all of this that while I was learning to use the settings on my guitar and amp, by the time I had gotten close to the cleanness of the sound I wanted that I had lost whatever drive had made me pick up the guitar in the first place.

But that's not what you asked. Love the guitar.
12/3/08 6:34 PM
sreiter
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

old - country gent, chet atkins, penguin, and white falcon
12/4/08 1:44 PM
DasBeaver
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/08 1:44 PM

The downside of all of this that while I was learning to use the settings on my guitar and amp, by the time I had gotten close to the cleanness of the sound I wanted that I had lost whatever drive had made me pick up the guitar in the first place.

Your supposed to play the guitar, not play with your knobs!

sreiter - old - country gent, chet atkins, penguin, and white falcon

Have you seen the new black penguins? Pretty wicked. I don't understand the appeal of a Gretsch without a Bigsby though. Its like a solid state tube.
12/4/08 1:54 PM
Extendo
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/08 1:54 PM
I know, but it took a lot of knob fingering to get the big orange bastard to coo nicely for me.
12/6/08 10:09 PM
detonator
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod and it is, hands down, my favorite guitar. I even traded off my PRS after getting this one. I love just about everything about it. The tone, feel, the style... I've been a solid body player for 20+ years and this guitar does everything that I need. Not the best for shredding though, if that is your thing. The 5120, from what I have seen, are solid guitars too.
12/7/08 12:00 AM
DonkeyKick215
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The White Penguin is the motherlode
12/7/08 11:27 PM
sreiter
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/08 11:27 PM
DasBeaver - 

Your supposed to play the guitar, not play with your knobs!

sreiter - old - country gent, chet atkins, penguin, and white falcon

Have you seen the new black penguins? Pretty wicked. I don't understand the appeal of a Gretsch without a Bigsby though. Its like a solid state tube.

havent seen them

i took the bigsby off my 355 - cant keep it in tune

i dont know how setzer does it

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.