UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Help on cheap strats or knockoffs

12/4/08 10:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy is adamant about buying a guitar in the next couple days and seems to have settled on a strat style.

He went to one place and the guy was really pushing the Yahama Pacifica on him saying it would be way better than a mexi-strat and on par with a Japanese strat.

Any clue if he is getting fed a line, or if there are some other reasonable alternatives he should look into?

Thanks!
12/4/08 10:38 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 120 buck yamaha is my most versatile guitar by far.
12/5/08 5:20 AM
Axl_Rose
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm hard on my Yamaha. Like, Rory Gallagher hard.

It's beat to shit and I've got another from the late '80's. Both road tested and stable.

Everybody comments on the tone and playability.

Plenty of people have asked me about my "vintage" "Strat" after seeing my white one in action. Great guitar for the money.
12/5/08 10:18 AM
T-Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't know about their strats, but in the bass world everybody hypes the new-ish vintage modified and classic vibe series from squier. they seemed to have really upped the quality a lot. most recognize them as better than mexis.
12/7/08 12:02 AM
DonkeyKick215
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yamaha lives up to the hype. Some PAcificas are better than others though
12/9/08 11:50 PM
Thelonious
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion, there are a lot of fender mexi's and squier's out there that are almost as good as the American models if you sink some upgrades. You just have to find one that feels good, it's hit and miss.
12/11/08 1:12 AM
DonkeyKick215
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can get an american made Peavey(many styles including strat) for around $100 used.

Made in Mississippi
12/11/08 11:20 AM
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He ended up getting a US made Fender strat in the end, and a 5 watt Gretsch tube amp. Going over this weekend to check it out.
12/13/08 6:39 PM
Racer X
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll be happy he got the USA Strat in the long run.

Point for point it's superior to the imports and will likely respond better to improvements. Sure, you pay more, but you get more.

He did the right thing,IMO.
12/15/08 5:47 PM
Racer X
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm Ron Burgundy? -  KOrean made Lite Ash Fender Strat= $450

comes with Seymour Duncans and is made wonderfully

Does it come with USA Seymours or Duncan Design pickups?  The latter are more common on Korean made guitars is why I ask.
12/16/08 1:33 PM
Racer X

$350 for a strat with Duncans. That IS a good deal.
12/18/08 5:05 AM
Racer X

Anyone who would mistake one of those chinese guitars for the real deal deserves to be taken. They don't even have the right bridge,for chrissake.
12/18/08 2:10 PM
Extendo

Racer X - Anyone who would mistake one of those chinese guitars for the real deal deserves to be taken.

I know this post was largely in jest, but I couldn't disagree more and is one of the reasons I will only deal with a big name store. So many guitars are bought as gifts and taking advantage of the naive is really low.

I would hope that anyone caught passing off knock-offs off as the real thing would lose their rights to distribute.
12/19/08 12:17 AM
Racer X

Extendo - 
Racer X - Anyone who would mistake one of those chinese guitars for the real deal deserves to be taken.

I know this post was largely in jest, but I couldn't disagree more and is one of the reasons I will only deal with a big name store. So many guitars are bought as gifts and taking advantage of the naive is really low.

I would hope that anyone caught passing off knock-offs off as the real thing would lose their rights to distribute.

Of course I don't mean that it SHOULD happen. What I meant was that there are enough differences between the Chinese LP he referred to and the real thing that NO ONE should confuse the two if they are actually in the market. It would be like someone selling you a Chrysler 300 with a body kit and telling you it was a Rolls.

12/19/08 12:35 AM
Extendo

Gotcha, I agree. Didn't mean to sound like a dick.
12/19/08 1:42 PM
Racer X

Extendo - Gotcha, I agree. Didn't mean to sound like a dick.

No worries,you didn't. My wording was unclear in my first post.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.