UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> How to eat well but CHEAP?

12/5/08 9:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
taxidriver
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the minimum I survive with and not left hungry, total 2.56€/day:

Breakfast - 0.36€ - 200grs can of boiled chickpeas. Just open it, put on colander, wash for some seconds and eat it.

Lunch - 1€ - an apple (1.50€/kg / 7pcs/kg = 0.2€), a banana (1.30€/kg / 6pcs/kg = 0.2€), 2-4 mandarines (0.9€/kg / 10pcs/kg = 0.20€) and two yogurts (1.30€/8pcs = 0.4€).

Dinner - 1.2€ - 1 serving of prepared fresh salad (0.60€/250gr / 3 servings = 0.20€), 1 serving of tomatoes (1.20€/250gr / 3 servings = 0.40€), an apple (0.2€), banana (0.2€), mandarines (0.2€) and two yougurts (0.4€).

You can add a bag of peanuts (400gr/0.90€) and full natural orange juice (1.20€/1 litre) for variety. Also, add mineral water (0.90€/8 litre bottle) that lasts quite a lot if you eat plenty of fruit per day.

Keep in mind this is with no use of a kitchen, oven, hot water, etc... only a fridge. Also, no tuna (1.50€/3 cans) or whole bread (0.60€/16 loafs), which are both cheap and can substitute any meal of the day with a sandwich (0.60€).

I've made it with less during hot seasons (no lunch, 1 piece of fruit per day and no yogurts, total = 1€ aprox/day), but it kinda sucked.
12/5/08 9:41 AM
Zonion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/08 9:44 AM
Good cheap foods include:Ramen noodles, with a small can of tuna and an egg thrown in near the end of cooking.Potatoes cut up, tossed with some olive oil and salt, baked until golden brown.raw vegetables like broccoli, carrots, etc. lots of water with a vitamin. oatmeal for breakfast. skinless chicken breast baked in a small baking dish with some brown rice - just add some water so the rice will soak it up. Spice it up with salt and pepper, etc.
12/5/08 9:45 AM
liquifaction
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can eat very well by not wasting leftovers.  If you make a $10 pot roast, pork rib roast, whole chicken, etc. adn use it in 4 meals you used $2.50 of meat for each meal.  Potatoes and rice are cheap, accent veggies are cheap.
Fuck Ramen Noodles!!!!!  I'd go on a killing spree if I had to eat that shit!!!
12/5/08 9:45 AM
WaltJ
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can find cheap, generic peanut butter, that may be worth trying.

Calories, fat, protein.  It's one of the things they regularly ship to starving kids in Africa because of its nutritional properties.
12/5/08 9:47 AM
Zonion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/08 9:48 AM
If you have a crock pot, it's good for not wasting stuff - just throw in cut up veggies (carrots, celery, etc). Throw in some cheap meat and spices and water with a couple of bullion (sp) cubes. You'll have stew/soup meals for a couple of days.
12/5/08 9:54 AM
WaltJ
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ true.

Stuff like home made soups, chili, stew, etc. may seem more expensive up front, but they can be frozen and stored for very long periods of time for future use.
12/5/08 9:54 AM
AmidaHidan
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soups and stews are the answer.

Deboned Chicken thighs are always cheap and taste much better than chicken breast. Marinate and grill.

Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder is always cheap also. Put it in a pot with some flavorful liquid and slow cook at like 350 for 3-4 hours. One shoulder could last you all week.

anything like soups, curries, stirfries, ext.

Lots of Carrots, Onions, Potatos, Sweet Potatos, Celery ext.

Dont eat all that proccesed shit. Worst things in the world for you.
12/5/08 10:05 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dry beans are unbelievably cheap. It costs less than a dollar for a bag and gives you the equivalent of a bunch of cans.

I would suggest the following staples:

Dry beans

Brown rice

Oats

Eggs

Tuna

Milk
12/5/08 10:28 AM
WaltJ

Edited: 12/05/08 10:28 AM
"Dont eat all that proccesed shit. Worst things in the world for you. "

lol...I'm eating the first canned food other than tuna that I've had in weeks right now.  Just microwaved a can of ShopRite chili.

It's gonna kill me on saturated fat and sodium, but to its credit, it at least has 40 grams of protein and 80% DV of fiber.  There's fucking NOTHING else to eat here, so finally, I just took the piss and made it for myself.

Eh, could be worse, I suppose, but I still feel like a piece of shit for eating it.
12/5/08 10:29 AM
StephenL

i'd kick anyone in the nuts who suggested ramen. that is welfare food.

all suggestions for fruits, veggies, fish, nuts and rice are excellent suggestions.

not only is it cheaper than processed high fructose high sodium junk, your body will do better.
12/5/08 10:31 AM
WaltJ

I used to eat Ramen because it was cheap until I realized how nutritionally shitty it is.

12/5/08 10:32 AM
alpo

These tips are going to be more behavior-related, which is just as important as the things you buy.

1)  Learn to reduce waste.  This is arguably the most important thing.  Everything that goes in the trash can is money down the drain.  There are some dishes like stir fry and soups that can be used as a catch all to utilize a number of random leftover ingredients, so get used to make one or two of those per week.

2)  Learn to cook.  The closer you can get to cooking from scratch, the cheaper it is going to be. 

3) Grow as much as you can.  Once you have some pots and stuff, this is basically free food.  Even if it is just jalapenos and basil, every bit counts.  Did I mention this is free food

4) As far as meats go, chicken quarters, thighs and frozen fish are your best bet.

5) Buy in bulk.  This is a necessity.  However, don't take it too far so that you're being wasteful.  Are you really going to use all that before it goes bad?

Here are some other tips if you want to take it even further...

- Composting.  The output of composting will accellerate plant growth and give you higher yields, fueled by nothing more than garbage.

- Canning and dehydrating.  If you are growing your own food, this is a good way to utilize excess food.  Pretty much anything can be canned and using these reserves during the winter can reduce a lot of cost.  But, you need the right equipment up front.

- Reduce your meat intake.  I'm not saying go full veg, but realize that most people eat too much meat anyway and meat is very expensive compared to most other stuff.

- Try to deconstruct food into to as many non-perishables as possible.  French bread and tortillas go bad, but flour, salt, water, baking powder, vegetable shortening and dried yeast packets do not.  Think about it.
12/5/08 10:37 AM
bhamill

"Dry beans

Brown rice

Oats

Eggs

Tuna

Milk"

I'm not big on milk, but that's a REALLY good list. Tomatos, onion, GARLIC, chiles, broc, spinach, carrots, beets are all pretty cheap and packed with nutrition.

Cheap superfoods you can mix together to supplement:
whey protein, brewers yeast, ground flax seeds, lecithin. Small amount of these in water or juice everyday will go a long way toward keeping you healthy on the cheap.
12/5/08 10:46 AM
bhamill

"1) Learn to reduce waste."

LOL. This is really a GREAT point. My friends all have laughed at what I save:

ALL eggshells, bones get frozen and go into a bone broth, a VERY nutritious (especially for bones and connective tissue) base for soups ect.

ALL veggie "waste" items like potato and carrot peels, beet greens, french bean ends, chile ends, any veggie in the fridge that starts looking like its on its last legs, you name it, get frozen and go into a vegtable stock.

I save drippings like bacon fat to cook with.

If I slow cook a brisket, pork butt, ribs, ect; I refrigerate the crock pot, then scoop of the solidified lard (especially pork) to cook with. Then I reheat the stuff underneath and pour thru a coffee filter to use as a base for soups and sauces.
12/5/08 10:49 AM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting!

Rice, eggs, farmer's market veggies perhaps? Beans and toast. Hmmm, what else? Oh, spaghetti! Noodles with frozen veggies.
12/5/08 10:51 AM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beans and rice
12/5/08 11:10 AM
Isaac298

Edited: 12/05/08 11:10 AM
1) Cook on your own.
2) Don't eat red meat everyday
3) Eat Brown rice
4) eat soup
5) drink tea, and a lot of water
6) Cut out as much liquor beer as possible
7) exercise
8) Got to agree with reducing waste, a lot of stuff can be reused (though i've never done the egg shell crap)
9) Limit the amount of juice you intake, a lot of it is really costly
10) Have your mother cook for you

One last one, try getting most things fresh. While it won't be as cheap as the frozen stuff, overall i think it's healthier.
12/5/08 11:16 AM
jkd_guy
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
12/5/08 11:23 AM
AmidaHidan
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eat pussy.
12/5/08 11:28 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For fruit and vegetables get what is in season. The quality is better and it is cheaper. Right now i'm eating a bunch of winter squash that sells for .39 a pound.
12/5/08 11:30 AM
Nebuchadnezzar

This has been covered already, but my go-to meal that I pretty much eat everyday is chicken & rice.

- Buy a HUGE bag of rice from an Asian market on the cheap
- Boneless/skinless chicken thighs on the cheap

I never get sick of it, because each week is a different type.

I make halal street-cart style chicken & rice, Indian biryani style, Japanese karage fried chicken style, Peruvian style... it goes on & on.

I also eat a good vitamin and eat canned green beans all the time.
12/5/08 11:32 AM
Jerkie

mud
12/5/08 11:33 AM
MikeZev
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eggs - $2.50 - dozen
tortillas - 1.50 - per 20
chicken quarters - 3.50 - 4lbs
canned tuna - 2.00 - 2 cans
rice - 2.50 - 2.5lbs
ramen - 2.00 - 6 pack
canned tomato - 4.00 - 3 28 oz cans
black beans - 0.75 - 1 can
bananas - 1.25 - 5
---------------------------------------------
total $20.50

I'm assuming you have some herbs and spices laying around.
make your own salsa out of one of the cans of tomato - cumin, salt, pepper, etc.

your breakfast will be egg tacos with salsa every day, mix it up with some hot sauce or beans. leave out the salsa if you want. maybe some rice.

lunch will be ramen with a little shredded chicken that you took off the drumsticks. throw some soy sauce in there for a change of flavor. hot sauce works too. maybe a little curry powder. try that for 3 days. have tuna for like 2 days - try it with italian dressing.

banana for a snack/desert.

dinner is up in the air. you can cook the thighs in tomato sauce and change the sauce a little each day by adding stuff to it. start out with a real basic sauce and then add heavier spices as the week goes on. you will have rice with this every night.

there will probably be some leftovers.

walla.

next week you need some veggies.
12/5/08 11:36 AM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm! Billy, I'd really like to learn how to make broth. Point me to some recipes?
12/5/08 11:37 AM
Jack Carter
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yesterday I had $6.

$0.75 for 2 bags of Ramen (breakfast)

$2.25 for 2 Chicken Sandwiches from Jack in The Box (Lunch)

$2.83 for 2 hot dogs and a brownie (Dinner)

Of course none of it is 'eating well'. I figure if I eat like that for the entire month I could save $600.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.