UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> How to eat well but CHEAP?

12/5/08 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LiMbTwIsTeR
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to a happy hour that puts out food. Buy one drink special for $2, and stuff your fat face with pizza and buffalo chicken strips.

$6 a week???
------------
10 packs of Ramen = $1.00
1 lb of sale pork roast = $.99
3 lb of sale chix breast =$2.98 total
1 lb of bananans= $.48
1 lb of potato= $.99

Thats $6.50, I guess you could do it.
Pork and potato for dinner two nights
stir fry chicken with ramen noodles?

Idk, thats a stretch
12/5/08 1:43 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ogami, The broths and stocks HAVE no real recipe, it is whatever you have saved. You just wait till you have enough to fill your stock pot/crock pot to four fifths, then you make a broth/stock. I use distilled water because it is more "empty" and will allow the dissolution of more nutrients from whatever you're making stock of. Add enough water to cover your subject and a bit more, almost to the top.

For Veggie stock, I will throw in a load of fresh garlic and a fresh quartered beet, greens and all, along with whatever I have frozen. You DON'T want to use high heat and boil it. If using a slow cooker, just leave it on low for 3-4 hours, longer if you want, just don't overheat and destroy the nutrients. Let it cool and then pour thru a strainer. I then pour thru a filter, but thats more a preference.

For bone broth you need to add a teaspoon of vinegar for every 6 quarts. The higher acidity aids the bones and shells in softening/dissolving. The bones will be softer when you're done and the shells like rubber. Again, low heat setting, don't overheat or boil. This one you need to leave going for 8 hours or better, I do twelve at a minimum, so a crockpot is pretty much a necessity. The bones can have meat on them, and if they have cartilage/connective tissue, all the better. You can also throw in things like pork skin as there is a lot of connective tissue in that. I buy ten pound pork butts and save the shoulder bones and hide. With the bone broth pull out the debris then cool to let any fat rise and solidify so you can remove it. Then rewarm and pour thru strainer then filters. A good bone broth will almost always cool to a gelatin, its awesome. The lining of the eggshells contributes greatly to your joint health in addition to the calcium from the shells themselves.

Don't add any seasoning (ex. salt) to the broth WHILE making it, just takes up "room" that could be "filled" with constituents of the subject. You can always season it later.
12/5/08 1:50 PM
thefaint
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nebuchadnezzar - This has been covered already, but my go-to meal that I pretty much eat everyday is chicken & rice.

- Buy a HUGE bag of rice from an Asian market on the cheap
- Boneless/skinless chicken thighs on the cheap

I never get sick of it, because each week is a different type.

I make halal street-cart style chicken & rice, Indian biryani style, Japanese karage fried chicken style, Peruvian style... it goes on & on.

I also eat a good vitamin and eat canned green beans all the time.

Post some recipes, man. That stuff sounds awesome.
12/5/08 1:54 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First off, the idea that you can eat cheaply and well out of a can is rediculous. The answer is "learn how to cook"

The quick staples are eggs & peanut butter. Beyond that takes some time and an open mind

Beans, legumes of all kinds, bones from the butcher, FRESH Vegetables are SUPER cheap.

Start by learning how to debone a chicken
Then make stock with the bones & skin (if you don't like to eat chicken skin) (also do this with beef, pork, fish & shrimp shells)
Cook the chicken however you want

Learn how to make soups with the stock

Learn how to shop for clearance cuts of meat.

Learn how to make a sauce by condensing stock, or using pan drippings

Learn how to make a roux

Lentils are one of the cheapest forms of protien

Make your own noodles from flour + water + egg

bake something

Buy leftover cuts from the butcher, use the internet to figure out how poor people worldwide cook those same cuts

Buy from the farmers market at the end of the day when they are trying to offload inventory

Figure out when your local store clears their merchandise & what they do with the undesireable stuff

Buy bread from the bakery just before they close (or cook bread yourself)

You can actually eat like a king on $20/week plus your time

Most great cuisine came from the kitchens of the poorest people in the world.
12/5/08 2:02 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice post Leroy.
12/5/08 2:05 PM
GirthVader

3 meals consisting of...

2 Eggs
1 Cup Rice
1 Cup Vegetables

and 1 piece of fruit and a cup of coffee for breakfast.

This would be sub $20/week
12/5/08 2:47 PM
westernwarrior

Rahknee - If you live near a college campus, spend a few minutes reading through the announcements in the paper or on message boards on campus. You'll see at least 3 meetings a week giving away free pizza.

That's how I survived a rough year in college. There is almost always some group meeting and giving away free food. That's also how I learned to fake interest in pretty much anything.
12/5/08 3:15 PM
bhamill

You don't want Ramen as a staple, period. And BROWN rice is what you should be eating in this scenario.
12/5/08 3:46 PM
SirPrize
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to Sam's Club.

25 lbs uncooked white rice = $11.64
5 lbs uncooked pinto beans = $6.87
Total = $18.51 + 7% tax = $19.81

Assuming you are 6'00", 180 lbs, you need about 2400 calories per day to maintain your weight.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/pantry/suboamc.html
1 lb or rice yields 2.25 cups of cooked rice.
There are 225 calories per cup.
So, 2.5 cups = 562 calories.

1 lb pinto beans = 6-7 cups.
1 cup cooked pintos = 265 calories.

So, your rice and beans will give you 827 calories per meal.

Three meals per day will give you 2482 calories.

You may get tired of rice and beans, but it will get you by, and it will be relatively cheap.

Plus, you will have lots of rice and beans left over, which will lower your per-meal cost even further.
12/5/08 3:48 PM
Vulva Fabulous
723 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a $20 piece of boneless steak.  Cook it.  Cut it up into 21 equal pieces. 

Done

12/5/08 3:52 PM
SirPrize
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of "rice" in this thread. There's a reason why rice is the staple food of poor countries - it gets the job done!

BTW, why is brown rice better for you than white? Is there that much of a difference? I know brown is more expensive - is it worth it?
12/5/08 3:56 PM
bhamill

More nutritious. More fiber. Better glycemic index.
12/5/08 4:02 PM
sreiter

soup kitchens - they feed the homeless for free and shit - just go in looking like a bum

happy hour -

did this in college - find all the places that serve free food (like wings - i found a place that served steak) find 3/4 empty glass that someone has put down because they left -

pick up glass (dont drink it) and walk around with it like you bought the drink -

eat till full -
12/5/08 4:09 PM
GucciGucciGucci
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go get yourself a fishing pole.

Or get a gun and blast a deer.
12/5/08 4:20 PM
LeroyJ

I literally lived in my truck, and cooked in a crockpot in the warehouse I worked at while I was going to school. A pot of beans + scoop of rice is a great way to feed when you are at your lowest point.

If you can learn to make a good soup, you are set for life.

By the way, hot food warms the spirit. Try heating things up. Cold, nasty food always made me depressed.

Oh, and always grab extra condiments from restaurants (stole silverware too.) I seasoned nearly everything for months with one shaker of Red Robin french fry seasoning.

Funny thing is I had a lot more appreciation for the good things in life back when I was scraping by.
12/5/08 8:10 PM
Dysqo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We ate Thanksgiving dinner with some friends, and as my friend was cutting all the meat off the turkey, I volunteered to take the carcass home to make some gumbo.

Granted I added $30 of oysters and shrimp, but that wasnt necessary...

I had 3 gallons of gumbo, LOADED with meat. Sure eating the same thing for lunch and dinner for 3 or 4 days gets old, but I also gave some to a coworker who had it for lunch, and fed her family at dinner the next night. Got a couple of bags in the freezer too.
12/5/08 8:12 PM
Jacinto
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
12/5/08 8:19 PM
ThugLife

Tuna, rice, beans, spaghetti, LEAN ground beef (or go hunting), and veggies.
12/5/08 8:33 PM
mataleo1
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/08 8:33 PM
Tuna is not to be eaten more than once a week, too much mercury.Here is the MD's suggestion:-Oatmeal-Brown rice-Lentils-Fava beans and chickpeas-Eggs-A little tuna-Boneless chicken-Lots of fresh veggies-fruit (apples, bananas are cheap)-Olive oilThese staples will give you everything a body needs (protein, carbs, fiber, good fat, minerals, vitamins, oligoelements, etc...) and won't cost you more than 20$ per week. I've done the experiment myself.

And don't forget green tea
12/5/08 8:53 PM
max power
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at the 99 cent store here u can get a sack of potatoes,  dozen eggs, dozen hotdogs, loaf of bread, 16oz oatmeal, pancake mix, syrup, beans, rice, babnanna bushel, lentils

i make waffles that r %60 oatmeal. dip in syrup. mmmm

tapwater is your olny drink
12/5/08 8:58 PM
Eric Collins
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat less and worse than most everything posted here :(

*Stirs his Ramen...*
12/5/08 9:49 PM
Lurken

the darker the better. Brown or black rice, black beans. Wheat flour.

I just scored the motherlode. I kille two hogs. One was 240 lbs and the other one was 130. GUUD protein
12/5/08 10:11 PM
shootfightermike
658 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what about beer?
12/5/08 10:15 PM
kalki

Kichari.......
12/6/08 1:31 AM
thesleeper

beans, rice, eggs, bags of spinach, sweet potatoes.

Make soups. They are the most cost effective.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.