UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> How to eat well but CHEAP?

9/4/09 12:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
savage animal
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

coulda sworn I posted on this one, but saving it anyhow for the stocks/sauces recipe
9/4/09 12:24 PM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love those Great Depression cooking vids.  That's some cool stuff.
9/4/09 1:01 PM
shootfightermike
957 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/6/09 6:38 PM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this one is going to be my next project.

Even in today's day and age, you can still find steaks like this that are pretty cheap.

9/25/09 11:34 PM
Dan O'Connell
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/7/09 12:53 AM
Dan O'Connell
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/28/09 10:43 AM
jarva
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/28/09 1:46 PM
  • Buy from the bulk foods section.  You can get a good amount of fiber/protein from here.  Beans, rice, oats, etc.
  • Buy meat from the butcher (odd cuts) or shop from the bargain bin (coupons, specials, etc).  Buy in bulk and freeze it... or hunt and kill it yourself (if you can cut it up yourself, then double points.  if not, then ask a friend for help and give them some of the meat as payment).  Canned tuna is another option.
  • Buy eggs from the farmer (farmer's market).
  • Grow your own vegetables/herbs/peppers (in the ground or a patio garden).
  • Pick your own fruit/berrires or look for specials.

• Don't eat out.
  • Don't let food waste.  Eat it before it goes bad.  Make stocks, soups, and salads (garden, potato, macaroni, broccoli, cucumber, whatever).
  • Start coupon cutting.
  • Learn how to cook.
  • Don't buy premade food.  Break things down to the ingredients, and make them yourself (salsa, guacamole, soup, etc).
  • Hit up the farmer's market shortly before it closes.  You won't have the greatest selection, but you can haggle since the vendors don't really want to pack up all of their merchandise and take it home with them.
  • You might have some neighbors which are interested in doing something similar.  Talk to them.  If they are interested, then work together.  Plant a garden together and share the responsibility/costs of taking care of it.  Share coupons (you might have some which you don't want, but they do), go hunting together, etc.

10/29/09 2:47 PM
ancient astronaut
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paleo eskimo ketogenic diet

80% animal fat, 20% meat

and prefer lard, organs, lungs, heart, kidneys, brain, liver

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2
12/29/09 9:01 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's what I used to do:

Ground beef in 1/3 pound increments from the butcher block (around 90 cents) and cooking it with onions and potatoes in a tortilla.

Eggs (alone or) with cheap/thin cuts of steak in a tortilla. Steak cuts can be found for as little at two bucks and will be for at least two meals.

Top Ramen with a half a can of corn.

Learn to make your own bread. Simple and good. Costs pennies a loaf.

Blackeye peas with cut up hot dogs in a bowl.

Buy cheap cuts of chicken (thighs) and bake it with potatoes and carrots. Leftovers in fridge and good for days.

Buy no name whole milk and no name cereal.
12/29/09 9:40 PM
Diaz 3:16
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how do you make your own bread?

a loaf of cuban bread is only 1.25, probably offsets the gas money to bake the loaves naw?
12/29/09 9:46 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pork shoulder is usually under a dollar a pound if you buy it in decent size packages. I've got 13 pounds in the slow cooker right now. Fucker will feed me for better than a week. If you don't like eating the same thing every day freeze it in one pound portions, pulled pork freezes and thaws well.
12/29/09 10:13 PM
westernwarrior

Diaz 3:16 - how do you make your own bread?

a loaf of cuban bread is only 1.25, probably offsets the gas money to bake the loaves naw?

Making your own is even cheaper as long as you buy your yeast in bulk. Like here:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/red-star-active-dry-yeast-2-lb

There's a video in the thread about making bread but I've recently grown to love refrigerated dough. You can mix up a batch of it and the dough keeps in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. You can pull off a hunk and bake it into a loaf of bread anytime. Here's a long article with a bunch of recipes. Skip to page 3 where the baking instructions start.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx
12/29/09 10:50 PM
pickledsoylentgreen
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Juijitsuboxer - Eggs are cheap for sure!

this is the best advice. eggs are cheap, good, and healthy. salsa on over easy eggs in the morning. tuna on cheap whole wheat bread for lunch (like 1.64 a loaf.) then something like a cup of chicken noodles for lunch. (unless your lucky enough to catch the 10/10$ single serving salmon deals. thats the best way to go.)
12/30/09 5:27 AM
Kido777

Nice thread, I used to have a whole Cook Book on the subject.

Alas, I threw it out...
12/30/09 12:20 PM
pickledsoylentgreen
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/2/10 7:53 PM
SirPrize
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Clara. I'm going to buy her book.

Great find, Hubris!

BTW, I bought a Vita-Mix blender for Christmas. It will:
- process whole fruits and veggies (smoothies / juices)
- make peanut butter. I made some from just a jar of Planters nuts, and it was DELICIOUS!
- make rice, almond, and soy milk
- make delicious ice-cream and sherbert - just some frozen fruit, sugar, milk or yogurt, and you're done!
- with a dry blade attachment, you can grind whole grains into flour

It was an expensive investment, but I believe it will greatly improve the quality of food I eat - much more healthy. Plus, I should save money in the long run, as I make my own peanut butter, flour, ice-cream, and milk.
1/3/10 1:09 AM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regarding bread yeast, if you want to get really hardcore, you can stretch a single yeast packet out for years.  Baker's yeast is pretty cheap, so you don't normally hear about this sort of thing in regards to bread, but brewing yeast is expensive and a lot of home brewers keep yeast banks.  However, the same principles apply to either. 

You basically start out with a pure sample, propagate the yeast in sugar water for a few days, with a homemade stir plate if possible, then divide up the mixture into a couple hundred sterilized screw top test tubes which are filled with 90% vegetable glycerin.  Wrap them up in a towel, put them in a small cooler and put it in the freezer.  The towel and cooler prevent them from freezing too fast, which can kill them.  The glycerin also keeps the water from crystallizing, which can also kill them.  Once they are frozen, you can take them out of the cooler and just keep them in the freezer.  The samples will keep for years.  When you want to make some bread, you thaw a sample in the fridge, then mix it with more sugar water for a few days and they will multiply until you have a full batch's worth.  When you are down to one sample, just propagate them and start the process all over.  I am leaving out a lot of the details, so do a search if you are actually interested in it. 

I realize this is much more work than most people are willing to go through, considering you can buy a 3 pack of yeast packets for like $1.50, but I figured it was worth mentioning, in the spirit of the thread.  50 cents for a batch of yeast doesn't seem like a lot, per se, but it when you consider the cost of all the ingredients, it is a very large percentage of the whole, perhaps as much as 75% for very simple recipes like French bread, assuming you are buying flour in bulk.  If you bake a lot of bread, reducing your cost from $1 to 25 cents or whatever can add up over time if you were on an extremely limited budget. 
1/4/10 6:32 PM
jimmy23
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt 
1/5/10 6:16 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had this thread in the back of my mind since its inception (while grocery shopping); I've come across a couple of good finds.

At walmart (I know.....), I bough a container of uncooked oats to make home-made oatmeal. It's pretty tasteless, but a little bit of spice (I like cinnamon) and maybe some honey or apple slices makes it delicious, and it has a decent amount of fiber and protein for 30g of carbs/serving.

It was only 1.36 and has 80-90 servings in it, it's insane.

Basically, with uncooked whole oats you can get MONTHS worth of breakfast for maybe around 10 dollars (1.5-ish for the oats, 3.00 for a large spice jar of cinnamon, and either honey or a bag of apples).

I also saw that you could buy 24 packs of eggs for less than 2 dollars.
1/6/10 2:26 PM
Diaz 3:16
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like to make calentado style breakfast.

rice, 1/3 can beans, fried egg. costs like $1
2/17/10 3:40 PM
Shabazeid

Anybody heard about green tea preventing most the mercury absorption from eating predator fish like tuna and shark,etc.
2/17/10 3:40 PM
Shabazeid

most of
8/11/10 7:38 AM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/11/10 7:24 PM
amorphous
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt'ing this again

8/24/10 12:16 PM
amorphous
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.