UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> company who owes money changes name

12/5/08 9:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rebel Yell
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How to proceed?   A fencing company here in N. Alabama owes me money.  I won't bore you with the details, but we took the company to small claims court. a week and a half ago over money they owe us back.  The company was a no show.  The judge awarded my wife and I the money and said the judgement goes final in two weeks and we could then go ahead and garnish their bank account. 

I called the company yesterday to see what shaninigans they might be up to.  When they answered the phone, they answered with a new company name.  I said I was looking for <company name> fencing company and they replied back that they had "bought out" that fencing company.  I looked up the new company name on goole for my area but could find nothing. 

I am pretty sure if they were in fact bought out, then I could possibly have the new company pay the money back for services not rendered.  But, if the company just closed and reopened with a new name, what legal action can I take?
12/5/08 1:19 PM
goku

name change is irrelevant
12/9/08 12:39 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure how they bought out the other company, but they probably bought up all of their assets and debts (including future debts) so you will probably be okay.
12/9/08 3:54 PM
StephenL

did you tell them that they just bought your judgement and you'll be by to pick up the check?
12/9/08 6:36 PM
goku

it all depends on what the new company bought...did they buy all liabilities as well? its doubtful...is there successor liability? possibly...try writing a letter to both demanding the money owed..if they dont respond favorably, you will need to hire an attorney anyways to sue either one
12/9/08 7:43 PM
StephenL

look for them here.

http://www.alabama.gov/portal/secondary.jsp?page=OnlineServices_LicenseeSearches

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.