UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Car wouldn't start

12/5/08 9:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fanat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 2005 Nissan Murrano.

Yesterday, for some reason it wouldn't start. I turn the key, the lights come on but then there is nothing. You could hear clicks but the engine is not even trying to start - for lack of a better explanation.

I drove it 2 days before and everything was fine. I have almost full tank and I couldn't leave any light on because the car beeps and doesn't let me lock it if any light is on.

So, can anybody give me any suggestions? Battery? Alternator?

I will try to have a get guy I know who is a mechanic take a look at it this weekend,
12/8/08 3:54 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

solenoid
12/8/08 6:25 PM
fanat

What the hell is solenoid?
12/8/08 9:37 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fanat - What the hell is solenoid?

Take the car to a mechanic, no offense intended.
12/8/08 10:02 PM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's a solenoid you would hear the starter spinning not clicking. Sounds like battery is on its way out. But lights on and you drove the car a couple days before problem doesn't sound like symptoms of a bad battery. But I don't know shit.
12/8/08 10:55 PM
fanat

Well, it turned out to be a bad battery. I've replaced it and car runs fine. The car is 3 years old so maybe it was the time for my battery to go anyway.

Could somebody still explain what is solenoid? My mechanic said something about it also but didn't have patience to explain.
12/9/08 11:26 AM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I was wrong about the solenoid part(doesnt work like that).

Starter spins which cranks the engine when the teeth of starter makes contact with flywheel.

The solenoid moves that forwards and backwards. right?
12/9/08 2:39 PM
White347LX

Actually, the starter solenoid is the high current switching device which actually powers the starter motor.
12/10/08 6:07 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a GM, the soleniod also pushes out the bendix drive while the fords had a separate fender mounted solenoid.

The hot tip on GM hotrods.......and boats is to wire the starter trigger post to the big supply wire.

Then you use a ford solenoid in line before the GM starter/soleniod combo.
12/10/08 6:07 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/11/08 10:23 AM
double
12/12/08 3:18 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bad battery huh, well that wasn't too bad. The solenoid comes after the battery and converts your d.c. current for you to such things as the starter, in no start, no power conditions it's always the second thing i check,after the power supply, especially with fords and nissans.
12/12/08 3:21 PM
Robert Wynne

of course i'm just a third generation mechanic with two degrees, what would i know?
12/12/08 6:31 PM
fanat

You guys are scaring the shit out me with this whole solenoid talk. Luckily my lease is almost up so I will be returning my car to the dealer in the next couple to several weeks.
1/18/09 8:47 AM
fanat

I fixed the problem!!!!

I replaced the car! lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.