UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Vacuum Sealing Food Fun

12/6/08 6:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I picked up a Foodsaver today, this thing is an awesome invention. I bought some model they had at Costco that's apparently an exclusive and it comes with a bowl for marinating... maybe you can store stuff in it too, I don't know.

So then I went and picked up a few packs of Sirloin's, Chicken Breasts, and Lean Ground Beef, along with a couple of rolls of bags for some vacuum sealing fun.

I ran out of meat, so then I cut open all the cheese we had in the fridge, some goat cheese, some old cheddar, some monterey jack... this thing's a fucking blast. I get to make bags my own size, put my food in there and reseal that shit just like it's from the store.

I need to find some more stuff vacuum seal tomorrow. Apparently the meats I Foodsavered and froze will last up to two years in the freeze. I'll let you know in a few months how good this thing is.

Was this a good investment, or did I just buy myself another home entertainment device?
12/7/08 2:05 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have one that stopped working right after a couple months. it just stopped sealing the bags completely. air gets in after a few hours
12/7/08 3:27 PM
crescentwrench
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine's still going after a couple of years.  I love it, I cook casseroles and meatloaf and stuff in quantity and then seal up leftovers for homemade TV dinners.  And I've sealed up emergency supplies for the car so they won't get messed up or wet.  When the cat dies I'm going to vacuum seal her.  Or maybe before.  
12/8/08 11:26 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i vacuum seal like a madman. when i go to sams i usually buy like 20-30lbs of meats, butcher it and seal it in 2 portion packages. saves a ton of $ and is extremely convenient to have on hand all the time.
12/8/08 1:59 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I picked up a bunch more meat yesterday and spent about an hour vacuum sealing. My freezer's full, so I guess we have to start eating so I can use it again.

Has anyone tried vacuum sealing and freezing fresh vegetables? I wonder if it's even worth it.
12/8/08 2:49 PM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've only done meats, sauces and soups.
12/8/08 3:53 PM
Tys

Do you use the special containers for soups, or can you use a bag?

I told my sister about this thing and she told me she just sucks the air out of ziplock bags. What a loser!
12/8/08 5:14 PM
MikeZev

i freeze in a zip top bag then take the block out and vacuum seal it. never used one of the containers.
12/8/08 7:40 PM
Tys

Thanks Mike. I have some Spaghetti Sauce I'm making right now so I'll have to try that.
12/12/08 12:26 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I freeze sauces in a non-stick bread pan, then seal it in the bag.
12/12/08 12:27 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/12/08 8:36 AM
Tys

Beautiful Mr. Mullet.

I did some spaghetti sauce, and chili, it worked great.

My freezer is so full of food since buying this Foodsaver thing I won't need to buy food another couple of years.

This weekend I'm going to give the marinating button a try!
12/12/08 8:41 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have a friend who uses vacuum seal for his stash.
12/12/08 9:51 AM
MikeZev

i have 14 lbs of chicken and a whole beef tenderloin that i got for 4.99/lb that i gotta do tonight.
12/13/08 2:32 PM
Tys

Picked up six chickens today for dirst cheap, more vacuum sealing fun today!
12/16/08 11:13 PM
Rhymenoceros
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've only ever sealed Mullet @ Heart's wife's keys and remote control. It was fun, though.
12/17/08 3:14 PM
drunkenfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should vacuum seal . . . a vacuum seal bag!

Imagine the irony.

In all seriousness, that is really cool. If I had one of those, I would spend a whole weekend just running around the house, vacuum sealing random shit. God I have no life.
12/17/08 5:44 PM
MikeZev

I had to buy a refill of bags last weekend. fuggin $40 at sams club!
12/18/08 12:34 AM
Mullet @ Heart

I think it's cheaper if you buy the whole rolls, and make bags yourself.
12/18/08 9:26 AM
MikeZev

yeah thats what i did. they gave me like 4 rolls so i guess its not too bad.
12/19/08 9:52 AM
Tys

I picked up a box of rolls at Costco for $40. It had two of the larger rolls and three small rolls. I've already used up two small rolls, this thing is like an addiction!
12/20/08 4:33 PM
voorhees
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tys - Do you use the special containers for soups, or can you use a bag?

I told my sister about this thing and she told me she just sucks the air out of ziplock bags. What a loser!

Can I meet your sister?
12/21/08 6:30 PM
Tys

You're the only man on the planet who hasn't already!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.