UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> I think I want to join the CF, please advise(long)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/8/08 6:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Power Paw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/08 6:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but it seemed to make sense.

I am seriously considering joining the Canadian Forces, but I really don't know what I'd be getting myself into. There are a few things that make it seem incompatible with my views/personality, but there are also a lot of things that I find very appealing. I suppose I should provide some kind of personality profile.

I've always been a very inquisitive person and I love to figure out how and why things work. At the risk of sounding egotistical; I'm a very selfless person and frequently put the needs of others above my own. I just like to help wherever I can. Basically, I'm a very analytical/logical person who wants to help people. I'm a very good teammate, but not much of a leader.

I like the idea of equality and I just don't feel comfortable giving orders. On the other hand, I don't mind taking orders and following them precisely....IF I respect the leader. In order to respect the leader, they must respect me and treat others with respect as well. This kind of makes me think I should not be in the military if I would not take orders from someone treating me or others like shit. I don't know what it's actually like though, and I'm very open-minded.

In regards to my aversion to leadership:

It kind of seems like I wasted a lot of time and money in my post-secondary education, because I don't think I'd want to be an officer, and therefore I'd start where high school graduates would start.

I guess it doesn't really matter though, it can't hurt to have a degree anyway. What kind of sucks is that it wouldn't help in my chosen military career. Speaking of which, I see a few possibilities. I'll list the cons in order to keep this from getting too long (it's probably too late, but oh well).

Combat Engineer - I think I'm likely to screw up diffusing any kind of ED, I just may not have nerves steady enough to think very clearly with a bomb in my face, or clearing a field of land mines

Infantry Soldier - I mean absolutely no offense to any infanteers, but from the little bit that I know, this seems like much more of a brawn rather than brains situation. I'm kind of built the other way around, so I'm not sure if I could be successful here. I would love to eventually be part of HRT/Spec Ops team, and I'd imagine infantry is where most of the entry teams would get their guys.

Weapons Tech - I think I'd be good at this and enjoy it very much aside from the fact that it seems kind of solitary. Although I don't mind being alone, I strongly prefer to work as a team. The less time spent indoors the better too. I'd also like to move around a fair bit, are weapons techs more stationary?

At this point, weapons tech seems to be the best option since it also leads to spec ops.

Just some general info, which might be relevant:

I'm currently in the final year of a 3yr science degree (transferred from a mechanical engineering program, where I was also in the third year)

I highly value new experiences and freedom. From what I've read, career changes within the military aren't really looked at favourably.

It makes sense, but I still don't know if I can dedicate my life to one field.

I don't care much for money.

I guess I could be best described as a hard-working hippie without the drugs, if you can imagine that.

That's all I can think of at the moment, any opinions/advice would be appreciated.
12/13/08 3:14 AM

Power paw,as a reserves in the cf,i like to help.first of, you can join the reserves like i did to see if you like it.you do not sign a contract so you can leave anytime you want.you not wanting to be an officer is cool,some people join as a private get to high as sgt,then become an officer.i will not comment on the combat engineers or weapons techs,but will on infantry.you think its mostly brawns then brain?nothing could be furthers then the truth.as one ppcli wo use to say"it's all about being a thinking troop on the ground".as for career changes in the military not looked favourably on.think it this way,if the ppcli spent alot of money to train you,yes they want you to stay infantry.however if you want to do a different trade,nobody should hold you back.if higher ups did hold you back,you would just get pissed and quick the military at end of contract.now we just lost a good soldier.good luck,i try to answer more question i can to help.
12/21/08 7:40 PM

You may find some answers here: 

Good luck

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.