UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Ibanez RG2228 (8 string)

12/9/08 3:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do want
12/9/08 5:50 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate your face
12/9/08 6:04 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better to lengthen the scale length.
12/10/08 10:06 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No need to go lower than this.
12/10/08 10:59 AM
alpo

Yeah, I play in B a lot, but that's about as low as I go, except for a few songs.  A 7 string can sound good.

You have to realize that, with that type of music (modern brutal death metal), the really deep parts like that are done for a percussive effect, usually in a breakdown, not to sound beautiful.  Try to imagine listening to it in a live venue that is so loud, the bass is knocking the wind out of you and you are surrounded by people punching each other after you've been drinking beer and doing coke for 5 hours. 

Technical, neo classical and (sometimes) melodic death metal are usually in standard tuning or maybe detuned 1 or 2 half steps tops.  These are significantly more traditional sounding (to the layman) types of death metal.

Obviously, any lower than a standard 7 string and it becomes hard to distinguish between notes.  That's why you'll notice in the first vid that he uses it sparingly and repetitively with note bends so you can hear each one hit.  Dino is (in)famous for that type of style, mostly because of Brujeria.  Very low, percussive and offensively harsh sounding riffs with inverted power chords and so on.  It is not for everybody.
12/13/08 6:37 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo, one of my customers wants to sell the one he has. Black just like the one in the video, he tried to smooth a slight burr that was breaking strings on the highest string, so there are some fine scratches on the locking nut, but other than that it is mint. I think he wants about $900 for it and IIRC they go about $1600.

If you were interested I would check it out thoroughly before it shipped to you. Let me know if you want contact info for him.
12/14/08 1:30 AM
alpo

I really appreciate the offer, but I don't have the experience or the money to spare.  That is a kiiler price and maybe, in a year or two, I'd take you up on that, but I can't do it right now.  I've only been playing for a year and I want to buy a 7 string soon, but I think going straight to an 8 string might be a bit much for me, plus I probably won't start shopping until the spring sometime (with Christmas emptying my pockets and all). 

On that note, what do you guys think about the Schecter C7 Hellraiser FR? (the newer one with the EMG's, not Duncans)  I don't need anything too fancy, just a good bang for the buck and I want active pickups and a FR.
12/14/08 1:41 AM
alpo

Armbreaker v2.1 - no doubt that dino is a great guitarist...but at this rate, i can't see having that low string being musical at all. on a 7 string, you're already competing with the bass player in a frequency battle. going lower just makes more mush. but, maybe his rig is setup so that live it doesn't mush? *shrugs

Fair enough.. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence by overexplaining everything, but many/most established guitarists don't understand death metal
12/15/08 5:43 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"On that note, what do you guys think about the Schecter C7 Hellraiser FR? (the newer one with the EMG's, not Duncans)  I don't need anything too fancy, just a good bang for the buck and I want active pickups and a FR."

I'll check it out at NAMM next month, but if everything else they do is any indication, it will be a well turned out piece and a good value.
12/16/08 2:10 AM
Nostradumbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An 8 string guitar is ridiculous. A 7 string tuned down a half step is low enough. What's next? A nine string baritone?

BTW, Chris Broderick is about a million times better than Dino.

He'd be better on a 1 string guitar than Dino would be on a 10 string.
12/16/08 1:26 PM
Racer X

You're wrong,Nostradumbass. Saying that any configuration is ridiculous is erroneous unless you are saying that it just isn't for you.

I saw Charlie Hunter last night in Santa Cruz. When you see a guy that can hold down his own funky bass lines while comping or soloing like mad you might appreciate the possibilities. Granted, his configuration is not like the Ibanez,he uses seven  strings on the pictured instrument, three bass and four guitar. You should also consider that tuning down a seven string will result in floppy strings that cannot play in tune because they lack the tension to produce a note well.

I'm just saying that as soon as you say "that's enough" you've imposed a limit that doesn't exist.

12/18/08 8:36 PM
Nostradumbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Charlie Hunter is an obvious exception with that wicked contraption he plays. I had his Chango album (or something like that) and could never get into his playing, although I do realize what a talent he is. My jazz buddy happily took that CD off my hands....

I have 2 seven strings and that's plenty of guitar for me.

At least nobody argued with me about Dino and Chris Broderick.... I stand behind that.
12/18/08 10:04 PM
Racer X

Armbreaker v2.1 - i dont find that musical in the least. that bottom string is way too sloppy imo

+1

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.