UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Rejoice Toronto!

12/12/08 5:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The prodigal canuck is headed back north.  Nice move

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6161934.html
12/12/08 6:54 PM
Extendo
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, I was just about to post this. My office went drinking at four when the news broke.

I honestly have no clue how many dicks Mo had to suck to make this happen. Julius James and allocation money for De Ro!

This leaves our DP slot open, and many figured he would get it. I now expect Carver with his Toon ties to go after David Edgar.
12/14/08 10:24 AM
Extendo
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Houston fans are going to miss doing the chicken dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hS8mIiuYl4&eurl=http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8282&feature=player_embedded
12/22/08 7:31 AM
invalid
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big fan of DeRo, but Jesus, he needs to stop that damn goal celebration lol
12/22/08 9:01 AM
Extendo

Agreed, I think it makes everyone quite uncomfortable. Fans, team mates...everyone.

Doubt it's true, but supposedly DeRo is just the bait to get his best bud Julian De Guzman here. Can't see it yet though, maybe in another couple years.
1/13/09 3:22 PM
Roots
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why do you guys support this joke of a team??
1/13/09 3:34 PM
Extendo

Roots - why do you guys support this joke of a team??

I doubt you seriously want an answer, but...

Lived in Toronto all my life, first MLS team for Canada, finally a viable option for local footballers instead of Germany, England or Spain.

Why wouldn't I support it, it's changing our city for the better. Toronto is one of the most passionate football cities in the world due to our wild ethnic make-up. It's nice to see people cheer on a local product instead of waiting four years to see them cheer on the country that their parents are from.
1/21/09 10:31 AM
invalid
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roots - why do you guys support this joke of a team??

it's a pride thing. kind of like your variety with the rainbows and whatnot...
1/21/09 10:46 AM
Extendo

They are doing a big De Ro announcement on Thursday. Sounds like TFC has him tied up until the end of his career.
1/21/09 10:54 AM
invalid

Lucky bastids.

You should go and pass on the goal celebration thing
1/21/09 11:12 AM
Extendo

LOL, that goal celebration is brutal.
1/22/09 3:32 PM
Extendo

Woohoo, De Ro signed for four years!
1/27/09 10:13 AM
invalid

Damn, you locked him up for the rest of his career. I'm happy he's staying MLS but I don't want to play against him lol
1/27/09 10:23 AM
Extendo

Here's the welcome vid and presser highlights.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=362
2/1/09 5:25 PM
Roots

it's a pride thing. kind of like your variety with the rainbows and whatnot...

hahaha you called me gay! is that supposed to be funny?
Anyway i don't support a team that has little or no support for local talent. Idiot Scottsman management and drunken English coaching a bunch of americans!! Good stuff. Anyone want to bet me that they make the playoffs this year?
2/2/09 9:40 AM
Extendo

Are you from Toronto, Roots?

If so, I could see your frustration in the first year but things have changed dramatically. If you watched the Allstar game last year you would have seen that all the biggest cheers were for Brennan and De Ro.

Further, they have set up the Academy with the sole purpose of developing young Canadian players.

As for the Mo and Carver hate, to each their own. That "idiot Scottsman" had a pretty decent career as a player. Personally, I was very happy when he brought in Carver, drunk or not.
2/3/09 3:07 PM
Roots

I am from Toronto. I have been kicked off a few local soccer boards for airing my distaste for Canadian soccer politics and the Scottish soccer mafia that rules.

1. I am a friend and former youth teamate of Jim Brennan and always root for him. I have played against Dero and believe him to be one of the most talented players to ever come out of canada. He had trials with Ac Milan and Barca if i remember correctly.

2. What has Scotland ever done in international soccer to warrant them control of Canadian soccer? This is a multicultural country. Why are they always ruling shit here?

3. Why hasn't a player such as my friend Dave Diplacido given a chance to try out with this team? He is by far the best player in the gta not to get a chance? Ask Jim or Dero or even Julian Deguzman about Diplacido. He was told he had a try out the first year but that was shot down by the portly Scotsman saying he did not want any a league players on the team. They got their ass handed to them by a few Canadian a league teams last year.

4. Their development team is a joke. They are lucky if 1 player a year will make the squad. They bring out Lombardo whom everyone knows sucks. I used to coach his older brother.

5. The fan support is great from what i have heard so yes it is exciting to have a team here but it is not the best team we can field. Just because you have a british accent, or drink at the same pubs, does not mean you are a soccer expert.

And thats why this club team, and our national team will never achieve anything. Ever wonder why Vancouver and Montreal are successful? Look at who runs them. Nuff said
2/5/09 2:49 PM
Extendo

Roots, interesting. I have heard some of your complaints echoed before.

First off, you obviously know the local scene very well so I think you can answer some of your own questions but I will give you my take.

IMO, The Scottish Soccer Mafia exists largely due to the fact that Scottish immigrants seem to hold the most coaching credentials in Toronto. Lots of Scots and English families here. Of course, we also have almost every other culture under the sun but they seem to come out more as players and less as coaches and administration.

Regarding Dave Diplacido, is he looking to leave the Italia Shooters? As for Mo not wanting lower league players, he was wishy washy on that. We did get Braz before sending him back to Montreal. You are right though, MLS was exposed as being at roughly the same level as USL, and it isn't a point that will get any argument from me.

Personally, I think the Impact winning the CONCACAF dealio helps the Canadian game overall. They've already sold 35,000 seats for the February game already. That's huge for a winter game in Canada under a bubble.

As for the development team, I am going to withhold judgment at this point. It may be a joke now, but I don't think it will be. Carver seems adamant about this being a huge factor in the long-term success of the club and I agree. Whether it works that way or not, we will have to see.

You are completely correct about the fan support. I have lived in this city all my life and have never seen anything remotely close to it. If you can, you should go to a game and try to sit somewhere in the south stands. I'll bet you go back.

Regarding the accent thing...that's fair, but the same goes for Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Polish, Greek and Russian. Every world cup I make sure I hit a bar on College or Dundas and cheer against Portugal or Italy, probably for the same reasons you hate ex-pats at the Duke of Gloucester!

For me, it's mostly about the entire city finally having their own team to cheer for again - it helps unite us. TFC will do much more than the Blizzard or the Lynx. Seeing 20,000 all wearing TFC scarves around the city as opposed to the fractions of Barca, Liverpool, Juventus, Celtic, Rangers, etc., is a pretty cool thing and it is changing the city for the better.
2/8/09 4:43 PM
Roots

I appreciate your reply Extendo. I will try to make a game this year. It just sucks to know that players that have talent are overlooked in this country. Did you know Julian DeGuzman, Adrian Cann and Owen Hargreaves were all cut from the same Canadian under 17 team?!! Tony Taylor was the coach. Another one of those experienced guys from England. Good job there Tony. They didn't qualify. I have friends who have gotten coaching licenses without attending the camps while they fail imigrant coaches all the time! I am really tired of venting. I heard people were wearing protest shirts about the C.S.A. Also its good to see players like Jim Brennan and the Deguzmans voice their displeasure with this joke of an organization.

As for Dave, he is training with the shooters but i think he might go to the Charleston a-league team.

Extendo msg me at a_galluzzo@hotmail.com and we can talk about you taking me to a game next year!!!
2/10/09 4:55 PM
Extendo

Edited: 02/10/09 7:42 PM
I wore black to the allstar game in support of the CSA protest, and admire DeGuzman, De Ro and Brennan all taking a stand against the CSA. I admit the organization is fucked, but I also think it can and will change for the better eventually.

Yeah, the Tony Taylor fiasco is a sticky point...

I'll let you know if I get any extra tickets. My boss has 8 full season tickets and sometimes sells them off last minute if his family can't go.

-edited to tone down my Whoregreaves hate. That rant is on another old thread.
2/24/09 12:21 PM
Extendo

More Can-Con comes home.

Adrian Serioux comes back to TFC two years after being traded away for allocation money and Ronnie O'Brien.

Dichio is happy he has a buddy from his Millwall days, and local fans have to wonder who will draw more red cards this year, Harmse or Serioux.

One thing is for sure, this pretty much guarantees Beckham will never play at BMO field in a Galaxy jersey.
2/24/09 2:45 PM
grizz632
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

[quote]Extendo - Dichio is happy he has a buddy from his Millwall days[/quote] 

Perhaps, though he'll never show it.   Dichio always seems to look angry, even when he's happy. 

Also, he looks like Imhotep

2/24/09 3:48 PM
Extendo

LOL, very true. Ever see pics of him at Queen's Park Rangers. He had hair!

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/1633857.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6F3A40C5410995F409930FDCFC4C15FBB

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_football/DICHIO_D_19951021_NF_R.jpg
2/27/09 4:14 PM
Roots

Hey Extendo, i was at the soccer centre yesterday and met Jason Devos. He was there doing something for gol tv. The guy is fucking huge! Sorry to hi-jack!
2/27/09 7:25 PM
Extendo

LOL, yeah he's a big 'un.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.