UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Rejoice Toronto!

3/19/09 9:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Extendo
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having the largest Jamaican population outside of Jamaica, TFC has a fair number of dreads in the stands and plenty of smoke in the parking lot.

Can't believe this, but one of the supporter groups (not mine) managed to get Pinchers to re-work his Bandelero song for DeRo.

DeRo The Original Bandelero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VihUG5gK0s
3/19/09 9:50 AM
invalid
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's fucking rad

I wanted to ask you how Toronto fans are reacting to the second Canadian team. Obviously Montreal is the big rival for you guys, but do you see them on the radar in that capacity?
3/19/09 11:14 AM
Extendo
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overall the reaction is really positive. In general we want more Canadian teams - it's the only way to keep any homegrown talent on North American soil. It also helps keep the local yokels in check. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are all a wild mix of people that have lived here for years, and new immigrant populations. Let's just say, it's nice to see a couple local jerseys instead of nothing but Benefica and Juventus jerseys and Liverpool scarves.

For sure Montreal is the big rival, and I dare say it - the best team out of the three based on last years squads. Vancouver as a direct rival is tricky though, just because it is so bloody far away. Toronto and Montreal have always been rivals in every way, sport, culture, food and lifestyle.
3/23/09 4:00 PM
Extendo

LOL, after Saturday it is very clear that Columbus is the number one rival. Forget the Canadian stuff.

At the bar on Saturday after TFC won, everyone erupted with a couple choruses of "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday!"

I'm so pissed I won't be able to come down for this game. Would have loved to have sunken a few with you.
10/25/09 12:02 PM
Roots
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well guys i hate to say i told you so. Extendo, i did catch last weeks game against Real Salt Lake, my first ever venture to BMO. Sat with Diplacido and watched Jimmy score a nice goal. Looks like he may retire. Anyway i hope they fire the pig ass Mo. 3 years of nothing is a fucking disgrace.
10/25/09 12:23 PM
Extendo

I'm speechless. That was just awful.
11/18/09 2:23 PM
Extendo

Fourth coach in four years. Preki is incoming.
2/18/10 9:53 AM
Extendo

So after forcing 35 year-old striker Danny Dichio to retire last year they have brought in 37 year-old Paul Dickov for a second trial in two years.

Maybe there is something to be said for the Scottish Mafia.
2/18/10 10:23 AM
invalid
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mo scooped up Leicester's has been? 37, and he's 5'5" - at least Dichio was a big body in there.

Between that and Chicago's Collins John signing, there have been a few headscratchers so far this offseason.
2/18/10 11:38 AM
Extendo

It's kind of fucked. By all accounts sounds like Leeds wants him back and he wants to go there but he might be fucked because of a FIFA rule that says you can't play for more than two clubs in the same country in the same year.

Maybe he has some dirt on Mo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/8517833.stm
2/18/10 6:07 PM
grizz632
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/10 6:07 PM
invalid - Mo scooped up Leicester's has been? 37, and he's 5'5" - at least Dichio was a big body in there.

Between that and Chicago's Collins John signing, there have been a few headscratchers so far this offseason.

What is there to scratch your head about with Collins John? He's a decent talent, only 24, and he's only on trial as of right now. If he keeps his ego in check he could be a valuable addition considering they've done nothing to replace the losses of Blanco and Rolfe. Worth the risk, imo
2/19/10 10:20 AM
invalid

Hey that's your call by John is a friggin head case, and I'd bet the house that he comes in thinking this will be a cake league
2/19/10 11:23 AM
grizz632
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like I said, there's really no risk here right now. He's only on trial, so there's no contractual obligations yet, and from what I've read he's had nothing but a positive attitude so far. If he keeps his head about him and puts in the work he could be a steal, especially for no transfer fee and no DP slot
3/10/10 9:33 AM
Extendo

Down to one original member - Jimmy Brennan.

In another deal that doesn't quite sit right, Carl Robinson has been released and is training with Energy Drink. It sounds as if both Sutton and Robbo will be playing in New York.

I understand Robbo was being over-payed and our midfield is already very strong, but he was such a loyal and enthusiastic player.

Mo is great at releasing people and kind of slow to add players. Again.
3/18/10 10:36 AM
Extendo

Shaping up to be another disastrous season. Red cards in every pre-season game with Sanyang throwing punches at Julius James last night, then a dust-up between Toronto coaching staff and players.
3/18/10 12:07 PM
invalid

Jesus christ
4/7/10 9:20 AM
Extendo

And it gets worse.

TFC's first player, and Captain is retiring effective immediately and taking the Assistant GM role. This after going through the pre-season and saying he is retiring next year.

The management of this team is all over the place.

4/24/10 6:10 PM
Roots

If you guys need the dirt on TFC let me know!! They signed my godson Adrian Cann. Extendo, do you guys realise why i wouldn't support this bullshit team. I knew Jimmy would retire last year but he played a game then goes to head office. Its all a money making machine for Piggly Mo, his pig scottish agent Maclean and all of his drinking buddies.
4/24/10 6:36 PM
Extendo

Would love to hear more, Roots. I'm mostly curious about weird departures of Carver, Ricketts and most recently Gerba.

Robbo is telling everyone there is a story to tell but no one seems to want to spill it. Something is rotten upstairs for sure.
4/24/10 10:26 PM
Roots

They said Ally Gerba came into camp overweight. Total bullshit. Was in the best shape of his carrer. Just didn't fit into Preki's plan so they spun it this way. Mo sold out his own player. They also fucked up with Serioux. Total lack of class by management. I will keep you guys posted but i do know Preki beat the shit outta the guys in pre season camp. Ran them very hard.
5/30/10 11:30 AM
Extendo

Your godson is going to be a hero in this city. He has been super solid since coming in and wins every aerial battle he's in.
6/1/10 2:20 AM
kabukikidd

A question for ya Extendo........

Has the quality of the game improved quite a bit over the last couple of years. I live down in Windsor, so the closest thing I have to a local in MLS is TFC. But the last few games I attempted to watch on television(the most recent being early last season), it was unbearable.

I really want to support them, but as a West Ham fan, I'm not sure how much more punishment I can take.
6/1/10 8:59 AM
Extendo

kabukikidd, the quality is all over the map - sometimes it's attractive, and sometimes it's pretty ugly. You should definitely take a look at the team compared to last year though.

Last year TFC came flying out of the gates for the first twenty minutes and then fell apart for the remainder of the game. This year is very different so far now that Preki has them playing and believing in a system.

One thing that I think MLS needs to do is start regulating how they broadcast a match. Home TFC games on CBC are pretty good because they have multiple cameras around the stadium, but away games are almost always brutal to watch unless ESPN is picking up the game. Half the time it looks like they paid some kid to film the thing with a handcam.

Also, many of the commentators and play by play guys are just awful. Last game one of the guys confused Chad Barrett with O'Brian White (who is black). That's pretty bad.
7/6/10 11:04 AM
Extendo

Another draw and another brawl. Preki must be feeding these guys nails for breakfast.

Anyway, a new signing finally and former teammate of Julian De Guzman at Deportivo. Hopefully they link up well. That has been the must frustrating thing about having player as good as De Guz, there is no one else intelligent enough on the team to reads his plays beyond De Ro.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/07/toronto-fc-signs-spanish-forward-mista

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that Spanish forward Miguel Angel Ferrer Martinez “Mista” has signed with the club. Mista’s contract will run through to the end of the 2010 MLS season. As per team and league rules financial details were not released.

“Mista adds a wealth of experience to our team,” said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. “He’s played at Real Madrid, Valencia CF, and Deportivo La Coruna which are all world class clubs. Mista is a different type of player from what we have and we are excited to get him in the lineup after July 15.”

Mista, 31, joins Toronto FC after spending his entire career in Spain playing almost entirely in The Primera Division (La Liga). The forward spent the 2008-2010 seasons with Deportivo La Coruna, where he was a teammate of current Toronto FC midfielder Julian de Guzman. Mista’s most successful seasons in La Liga came while he was a member of Valencia from 2001-2006 when he made 142 appearances, scoring 40 goals. He won two Spanish league titles (2001-02, 2003-04) during that time and was a member of the 2004 UEFA Cup winning squad where he scored the second goal in a 2-0 victory over Olympique de Marseille of France. By winning that title Valencia went on to compete in the UEFA Super Cup where Valencia CF defeated FC Porto of Portugal 2-0.

Mista began his career under current Inter Milan boss and former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez at Real Madrid where he spent three seasons before moving on to Tenerife where he helped that club gain promotion into the first division.

Internationally, he made his debut for the Spain on March 26, 2005 in a 3-0 friendly win over China and has two caps with the senior squad. He also was a member of the Spanish U17, U18 and U21 sides.

Due to International Transfer Rules, Mista will not be available for selection until after the July 15 transfer window opens.

7/12/10 2:41 PM
Extendo

Edited: 07/12/10 2:42 PM
Roots, here is a great shot of Cann tying up Casey from the last game.

http://thestar.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bf8f353ef0133f2328d27970b-550wi

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.