UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Drivers Licence & unpaid Tix Questions...

12/13/08 8:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A couple quick questions:

1. I live in California. I got a speeding ticket in Florida in 1996 when on a trip. I never paid it. I dont plan on going back to florida, but can this hurt me in the future? If so how?

2. Got a ticket in Las Vegas in 2000. Tried to pay it, but the Vegas court said nothing was in the system. I said "are you sure? can you give me something saying I was here and tried to pay this, just in case it shows up?" No, they would not give me anything. A few weeks later, I got a post card from Vegas saying I failed to appear/pay my ticket. It's been 8 1/2 years. Do these things ever "expire", or will I forever have a warrant out for me in Nevada?

3. Driving on an expired License. Everything else is good, insurance, registration, etc. If I get stopped what happens? do I got to jail or just get a citation, or does my car get impounded?

Wow, reading over this I feel like a irresponsible scumbag. I actually do want to straighten this shit out. The expired license is actually not my fault, and I'm working to get that sorted out. The other two were definitely my fault, but I was too poor to pay.

Anyways, any one who knows the answers, I appreciate it.
12/13/08 3:46 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would hate to be as broke as you. You've heard that old saw about "if you can't do the time..." right?

Side note: The Vegas system is jacked mostly because we're all criminals &/or small government libertarians/republicans out here. It's extremely difficult getting correct info from the legal system here. You were probably written up by a county/state cop, but called the totally unrelated city court system.

Anyway, pay your tickets & quit worrying about it. You should be able to collect enough aluminum cans in a day to cover your license renewal.
12/13/08 4:17 PM
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Vegas ticket, I went to the courthouse in Vegas, but I had lost the actual citation. I asked the lady there if they could find my ticket with just the info on my Drivers License. She said yes. But then said there was nothing in the system. The post card I got saying I failed to pay/appear upped the amount to either $800 or $1200 (can remember, one of those two though). That's alot of cans and bottles.

Expired DL. Went to renew this year, they said Colorado had put a hold on it, but had no other info, and could not help me further. It had been 9 years since I was in colorado. I was there for a work trip. Road was icy, got into a minor fender bender in a fully insured rental car. Went to the rental company, they said no problem, gave me a different car. I get home and the guy I had an accident with's insurance company is saying I have to pay the damages with my personal insurance. I refused to give them info, and refered them back to the rental car company who I paid an extra $12/day for full coverage.

Now, I have to deal with Colorado DMV by phone every step of the way. Filling out forms, paying fees to get my privelege to drive in colorado re-instated, sending a permanent change of residency to california, ...even though I always lived in california, never had a CO license, was only there for a short work trip. There's like 8 forms that have to be filed, and have to do them one at a time, wait until the first in in the system before I can procede to the next one, etc.
12/13/08 4:20 PM
ThomasBJJ

Just to clarify:

Florida unpaid ticket: how can that affect me eventually?

Vegas: unpaid ticket, lasts forever?

Expired DL: will I go to jail, car impounded, citation, or all three?
12/13/08 5:43 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/08 5:52 PM
"Florida unpaid ticket: how can that affect me eventually?" I can't fathom why you're asking this when you've already seen what happened with that in NV.

"Vegas: unpaid ticket, lasts forever?" Until you pay it. NV can be hard on scofflaws & there are often additional charges over time.

"Expired DL: will I go to jail, car impounded, citation, or all three?" Depends on the jurisdiction where you get nailed but it's never good. For sure citation with further consequences & you can count on an impound unless the cop is called away to something else more important while waiting for the tow. What happens to you short term is usually up to the cop.
12/14/08 10:22 AM
ThomasBJJ

Thanks for the replies.

Working on the expired license now, just wondering if I should be prepaired to go to jail if I get stopped before its cleared up. Keeping all my paperwork and cleared checks with me so I can try to plead for cop mercy if it happens.

I was asking about florida cuz I dont plan on going to florida, ever. Dont know if they can do anything to me here in cali.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.