UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> I suck at artificial harmonics

12/14/08 1:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are there some exercises or something I can do? 

I know how to do it, by itself, but I have a lot of trouble squeezing it in between the rest of the riff, if you know what I mean.  I have difficulty with the transition between normal picking, then pinch harmonic, then back to normal picking. 

Maybe I am not holding the pick correctly or something?  I try to choke up on the pick pretty far, so there's only a couple millimeters sticking out. 
12/14/08 11:07 PM
whtblt4eva
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hit some good ones by downpicking a bit diagonally instead the typical straight up/down alternate picking. make sure enough of your thumb is hitting the string too, with some nasty vibrato.
12/15/08 3:37 AM
jonpall
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know many good guys that can't just hit them at will. They just get lucky :) Also, vibrato seems to help to bring out the harmonic.
12/15/08 8:04 PM
sreiter

skin on strings is key -

i can get pinch harmonics on upstrokes too if i angle the pick like white belt says

only have around a 1/18 to 1/16 inch of pick poking out from your fingers

just practice - also

move the pick around in different spots on the string - you can get different harmonic on different parts of the string = over bridge pup, in the middle of pups, over neck pup, etc

varying attack also produces different harmonic

i play using a pinch harmonic like tone most of the time - i dont always "squeal", but playing really "chalked" up on he pick, produces IMO a great tone
1/10/09 2:01 PM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/11/09 6:41 PM
There aren't many things I do well on guitar, but I can hit pick harmonics at will. A little squeal,a lot, whatever.

My secret is that I RARELY use downstrokes for harmonics. I leave a small amount of pick exposed and angle it about 45 degrees from the string. A flat pick attack is counter productive,IMO.  Here's a good way to "find" the sweet spots. Fret the G string at the fifth fret. Set the point where your thumb meets the pick on the string and pick up, releasing the string with the pick just as your thumb breaks contact. Vary the angle of your picking hand to emphasize the harmonic more or less. Where you pick on the string is important as well. about 1/4 inch past the bridge pick up on most guitars is a good spot, but it actually moves depending on where you fret.

1/21/09 4:24 AM
jonpall

Interesting. I might try to do them with upstrokes...
1/21/09 1:28 PM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find it a lot easier. Makes sure to fret a note and look carefully for just the right spot to pick it.
1/22/09 11:08 PM
Fite
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've been trying since i was 11 yrs old and still can't hit the damn things
1/30/09 10:18 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interpol agent #9 is correct.

The proper spot is more important than anything else.

If you hit the right spot, just having a bit of thumb hanging over to kiss the string while you pick it will ring that harmonic just fine.
2/1/09 3:54 AM
Rawbass

Make sure that back pickup is on! I think it's pretty tough to get nice pinch harmonics on the front or middle pickup!

I'm no guitar wiz, but I do play some guitar and I just would like to say that when your thumb hits the string just after the pick, make sure that you just glance the string with your thumb and try to pull your thumb away from the string quickly so the harmonic will ring for you!

I would also say practice on one string and just move your pick hand up and down the range of the guitar between the brige and move towards the neck of the guitar, and then reverse that(neck to bridge) and just try to find the "sweet spots", were the harmonics really ring out for you! Good Luck!
2/28/09 7:56 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow you know what, it's never occurred to me to do a pinch harmonic with an upstroke! Hahaha man do I feel dumb. I don't have any problem producing them, but I just always do it with a down pick, good fun doing it with an up!
4/8/09 6:14 PM
lordbreakdown
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea.. just like anything, practice. I can do'm up or down even plucking the string (pick in hand w ring finger) if I want a different effect.. it's practice..
4/9/09 12:05 AM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

update:

I am sort of getting better. lol

If I have a song memorized, and there is an artificial harmonic, I can often hit it, but only in the context of that song.  I have a hard time repeating even the same exact same harmonic in a different song. 

I guess my issue is the transition between the regular picking, to the pinch harmonic, back to the regular picking.  Not that it's a huge deal on the surface, but some songs slip them in so damn fast.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.